Winchester Model 70

A lot of Smiths like to specalize their work, that way they don't have to change their equipment/tooling up. This allows them to put out more work with less effort, and a really good GS usually has more work than time. So it isn't hard to understand why they choose to work with what is most popular.

Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles built my M70 Stainless Stainless Classic .338-06. If you don't mind working with a guy who isn't local to you, he's a great guy to deal with. He always has a lot on his plate, but he'll work on pretty much any rifle. Talk to him and round up all your parts beforehand. Ship everything when he's ready for it, and his turnaround time is usually very quick.

BTW what are you planning for your build?
I too have had good work done by Kevin on M70 clones. I'll always use Kevin in the future.

I think the busier guys just make their choices. Kirby Allen did a M70 for me with Lilja barrel about 15 or 20 years ago (is that even possible?) and it still puts the first 2 rounds in a single hole. He just does his own actions now, or, I believe, occasionally Remington/Savage. It's OK to specialize and doesn't really make a statement about any other action's quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.