winchester 300 win mag rebarrel

amork

I am looking at rebarreling my winchester model 70 extreme weather 300 win mag. The barrel on it now is just not enough for what I want which is long range shooting/hunting. I have decided on a lilja barrel but I am unsure of which contour to order. I don't want something that is going to be extremely heavy but I want something that is going to keep somewhat cool shooting and work well at longer ranges. If anyone has any pictures or good experience with these input would be much appreciated.

My go to barrels are 26" Bartlein 3b , Brux#4 and #4 or #5 Kreiger. They are usually fluted and are a good trade-off for weight and long range accuracy. Some like a heavier contour & longer barrels for true long range work. You can compare contours on the different barrel maker sites to find what you want. Good idea to have your action trued when you get your barrel chambered.

I went with a #3 BRUX on my 300 Win Mag. It really depends how much weight you are trying to save. The #3 contour is thin; but my gun is incredibly accurate. As far as heating the barrel. I only shoot 3 shot strings and it is no problem. You could also re barrel with a carbon fiber like Proof or Christensen.

How long a barrel are you thinking, and how heavy is too heavy?

Steve
Ill go with a 26" barrel with a muzzle brake and Im not wanting anything really over about 9-10 lbs total gun. Thats still gonna be heavy but its still something i can kind of carry around.

At that length and weight you'll need something close to a bartlein 3b or 4, depending on stock and optics. You can look at their contour chart for a close weight and weigh rest of your components to get pretty close.

I just checked two I have here in the shop to see where they weigh in, fully loaded.

1) Manners EH-1 Carbon LA, DBM loaded, Defiance Rebel action, Talley mounts, Zeiss Conquest 3-15x42 (1" scope body), Bartlien #4 contour barrel at 24" = 8-3/4 lbs.

2) Manners T5 standard composite stock LA, DBM loaded, Defiance Rebel action, Talley mounts, Zeiss Conquest 3-15x42mm, Bartlein #4 barrel at 24", Badger Thruster muzzle brake = 10 lbs.

In a situation such as this, I believe that 24" is perfectly fine, even when you add 2" more with a muzzle brake. My loads, using either Berger 180 grain or 190 grain Hunters, are very efficient in this length barrel.

Enjoy your project!

Well just had my local gunsmith order a lilja #4 contour barrel, he just finished putting one on his personal rifle and I really liked it, i decided to go with a 24" barrel and a removable brake with a screw on dust cover for hunting. Cant wait for it to be here and get put now!

I'm thinking of getting a, Cooper back country in this Caliber BUT I'm thinking @ roughly 71/2-8
Pounds,fully set up it might have just a, bit more Recoil, then a, standard weight 300wm,
My wife's, 7mm weatherby mag InThe Cooper model 92 isn't to bad

I prefer #5 for 30cal stuff in lightweight. Built a few 28 noslers with eh5s and #5 brux at 26-26.5 and they are surprisingly light.

Well just had my local gunsmith order a lilja #4 contour barrel, he just finished putting one on his personal rifle and I really liked it, i decided to go with a 24" barrel and a removable brake with a screw on dust cover for hunting. Cant wait for it to be here and get put now!

Now that you had it for 2 years, any feedback to share? Lilja is an excellent barrel choice. I have a couple of them, .30 cal (27") and .27 cal (30"), both are #6 and 3G. Both are shooters and hardly fouls/easy to clean.

I'm really happy with all the Liljas i have. just pick as much contour as the pounds you are willing to live with. A 10# isn't really bad at all to carry most of the time i do not even use the sling for that weight.

I am looking at rebarreling my winchester model 70 extreme weather 300 win mag. The barrel on it now is just not enough for what I want which is long range shooting/hunting. I have decided on a lilja barrel but I am unsure of which contour to order. I don't want something that is going to be extremely heavy but I want something that is going to keep somewhat cool shooting and work well at longer ranges. If anyone has any pictures or good experience with these input would be much appreciated.

Look at their contour chart. I haven't pullet there's up in a while but I like what is considered to be a "bull magnum" or 3.5 contour. Lighter than the Sendero contour but plenty of meat for steadiness. Similar taper to the Sendero but finishes out I think at .75" at the muzzle instead of .830.

I have a rebarrel going with my EW right now setting back and rechambering a .300 H&H 27" Krieger bbl I picked up from someone here a few years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.