300 winchester mag loads

thanks johnnyk I got the 215s to 2974 with 75gr no pressure signs coal was 3.610, (max length that will fit in my mag.) hoping to get them to 3,000. one question regarding the br2 primers do some primers work better with some powders or is it just what your rifle happens to like?

certainly an interesting thread there feenix. looks like the old 300wm can still compete. he mentioned 77gr RL26 but he didn't say what velocity he was getting. I don't think I'll get to 77gr before I get pressure though anyway.

Yes, I'm running the 208gn ELD-M at 3096fps with .4" accuracy. SD: 7, ES: 13. Burning 74gn using CCI BR2's. I tried using several magnum primers but could not get the accuracy I wanted. JohnnyK.

That should read 77gn vice 74. Misread my reloading journal. 74gn was where I stopped w/IMR-7828 on the same day. I averaged 3000 w/Imr-7828 but ES & SD were higher than I like (51 & 25.97, respectively).
Yes, you can get that much in the case, but your chamber/barrel may not be able to handle it. Be careful, proceed with caution, looking for pressure signs. This feels like a somewhat mild load in my .300WinMag, but I have a muzzle brake and the rifle weighs 13lbs.
When I first read the thread that Feenix quoted I thought, hmm, I bet it would be better with a CCI 250. I asked the young man about the usage of standard primers. Yup, that's what he used. Still, I had to use the mag primers. I mean heck, everybody knows w/that much powder you just got to use one, right? So I tried it, several of them in fact. Then I tried several Federal magnum primers then the Remington 9.5M's. None of them shot worthy enough groups to pass muster! But when I lit that RL26 off with that BR2, I knew I had something then.
Great load. I will use it for deer this year. I'm going to try the 212gn ELD-X soon as weather/humidity permits. I think this combo may hold its own against the AccuBonds and the Bergers. Good and safe shooting. JohnnyK.

thanks johnnyk I got the 215s to 2974 with 75gr no pressure signs coal was 3.610, (max length that will fit in my mag.) hoping to get them to 3,000. one question regarding the br2 primers do some primers work better with some powders or is it just what your rifle happens to like?
Don't push too hard for speed. As long as you're at or above 2,750fps you have all that you need and then some.

The more important thing to focus on is finding a load that is accurate and consistent with the lowest ES possible.

certainly an interesting thread there feenix. looks like the old 300wm can still compete. he mentioned 77gr RL26 but he didn't say what velocity he was getting. I don't think I'll get to 77gr before I get pressure though anyway.

Yep, the .300 WM is still my go to chambering. Not sure if you ever read BROZ's posts about his successes with the .300 WM but a must read IMHO and it's rather impressive.

I'm pretty sure if you ping mitch260 directly he'll be more than happy to share the velocity information.

one question regarding the br2 primers do some primers work better with some powders or is it just what your rifle happens to like?

Yes to both, it's with .300 WSM and not scientific but here's what I got playing around with different primers >>> http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=660324

Cheers!

Last edited:
Winchester Brass
H1000 78 gr.
CCI 250 primers
215 gr. Berger
2995 FPS. :cool:

Attachments

• attachment[1].jpeg
    attachment[1].jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 61
I just shot 215 Bergers with 75grs of R-26 in a 300wm I build my hunting buddy this morning. Velocity ran 2992 to 3018 and accuracy was right at .5 MOA. I'll play with seating depth a bit and see if I can get it tighter. I might back the R-26 load down .5 grs to see if it shoots any better. The barrel is 26" and only has about 30 rounds through it so it's going to speed up some once it gets up near 100rds through it. I also shot 75 and 76grs of H-1000. 76grs was running low 2900fps and not as accurate as R-26 but not far off. So I'll try 77 and 78grs of H-1000 next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts