Win 1885 .300 win mag.

T Roy

I was interested in getting a win. model 1885 in .300 win mag. My concern is that they only come in 1:14 twist. I was planning on using the gun for medium range 300-600y elk hunting and longer range target shooting with 200gr bullets. Is the 28" barrel with 1:14 twist going to be accurate with 200-210 grain bullets?

Model 1885, High Wall Hunter -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Item Detail, ITEM 534112233, UPC 048702004438

I don't see a twist rate on the spec. sheet for the rifle, but Winchester normally puts a 10" twist bbl. on their 300win rifles.
If it really is a 14" twist (I highly doubt this) I'd not try past 165-180 grain bullets. I'm assuming they have the twist rate listed on the main page for only the 220 swift, which a 12-14" twist would be appropriate for.
Win. has had some pretty sorry website errors the last year or so; they listed the 300h@h for the model 70 for all of a couple of weeks last year for instance.... Just about the time I was going to have my lgs try for one they pulled the plug.... Same thing with lefty rifles.... They've promised and backtracked.

I was interested in getting a win. model 1885 in .300 win mag. My concern is that they only come in 1:14 twist. I was planning on using the gun for medium range 300-600y elk hunting and longer range target shooting with 200gr bullets. Is the 28" barrel with 1:14 twist going to be accurate with 200-210 grain bullets?
Not likely.

look at the product listing Rose... They only listed a twist rate for the swift... makes it hard for anyone to figure what the heck the twist rate is for the other cartridges...

look at the product listing Rose... They only listed a twist rate for the swift... makes it hard for anyone to figure what the heck the twist rate is for the other cartridges...
They need a better web guy/gal.

I can't imagine they'd put a 1:14 twist barrel on a 300wm but if they did I wouldn't even try anything over about a 165gr in it.

Sorry for the late comments. I just acquired and setup my 300 Win Mag Model 1885 and stumbled onto this thread. It's a 1:10 twist. I have 20 MOA (or real close) with Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings. My rifle was 39.5 MOA (7 inches high at 100 yards with the Viper PST bottomed out) with the Zero inserts. I had to use the 10+ and 10- inserts to bring the front of the scope up so I could zero the rifle. I have 208 A-Max's sub moa seating them way out at 3.5540. I'm still wanting to tweak the load but it's good enough right now to get a late season cow elk in the next couple weeks.
For my day job I am the Web Guy at Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms. Sorry about the twist rates not showing on the web. The reason the twist rates are not showing on the web is because the Product Manager hasn't entered them in the system. Something the Web Guy can't update. :)

Sorry for the late comments. I just acquired and setup my 300 Win Mag Model 1885 and stumbled onto this thread. It's a 1:10 twist. I have 20 MOA (or real close) with Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings. My rifle was 39.5 MOA (7 inches high at 100 yards with the Viper PST bottomed out) with the Zero inserts. I had to use the 10+ and 10- inserts to bring the front of the scope up so I could zero the rifle. I have 208 A-Max's sub moa seating them way out at 3.5540. I'm still wanting to tweak the load but it's good enough right now to get a late season cow elk in the next couple weeks.
For my day job I am the Web Guy at Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms. Sorry about the twist rates not showing on the web. The reason the twist rates are not showing on the web is because the Product Manager hasn't entered them in the system. Something the Web Guy can't update. :)

good to hear your 1885 is working for you :D:D

The lack of twist rates isn't the only wonky thing in the last couple of years on the site though; the 300 h@h showed up for a while but was pulled about the time my brother was going to make an order.
Also, if I remember correctly, Win was going to re-introduce some lh m 70 rifles again. I prefer the left hand action to the point that I'll switch brands and make mods before I'll buy a rh action in most cases.

I realize you are using the info you are given, but those giving the info to you need to realize that people DO watch the web for introductions and specs; it's not just there as an ad tool or because everyone has a web site.

I can understand your frustration and appreciate your thoughts on the website.
For the most part products show and don't show based on the product managers directly in charge of the product. Let me illustrate what might be the case with the 300 H&H and LH Model 70s.

Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms as also other companies may introduce a product, often at an event like the SHOT Show. There is usually a small window (couple months or so) for dealers to order these products. Product quantities are set into motion with the manufacture based on the demand and orders received. From time to time a product may not receive enough orders to justify production.

In the case with Model 70s there are also other complexities regarding manufacturing plants that have changed a couple times in the past decade that may cause products to drop unexpectedly. I would guess this is the case with the LH models.

Here is an example with the Model 1885 in 300 Win Mag: Model 1885 rifles are produced every year but only in limited quantities and in ever changing calibers. This is the first time I have seen a 300 Win Mag produced since I started working in 2000. This being the case, I jumped on getting my order in because who knows how long it might be before they produce any more. The 300 Win Mag was introduced at the 2014 SHOT Show last January and based on the orders/demand I can see that only 45 of the rifles were produced and all shipped out in December.

My advise to you and others is if you see a particular caliber or variation of a firearm that may not be the common bread and butter variety, I suggest you contact your dealer immediately to get an order in to reserve one.

Here is another scenario that might be the case with the 300 h&h. And again I will refer to the Model 1885 in 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag was introduced at the 2014 SHOT Show and thus was flagged by the product manager to show on the website in the main product line area starting in January of 2014. The product delivered and was shipped out to all the dealers in December and now I see that the product manager has flagged the product to move it to the historical section of the website. The product just barely made it into the dealers hands and is now "Historical." Yes, I think this is not right and have fought this battle for years and will continue to do so.

The 1885 in 300 Win Mag is now here in the historical section.
Model 1885, High Wall Hunter, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model
I also notice that the "last catalog year" shows 2013. This should be 2014 because that was when it was introduced and apparently not going to be produced again for some time if the product has been moved to Historical. I will contact the product manager and ask them to add the missing twist rates and correct the "last catalog year."

You should now that we are working as hard as we can to supply the best and most accurate information. I will pass along your feedback and will continue to work to improve the information provided to you through the website.

Indecently my oldest son and I will be carrying Model 1885s (270 WSM & 300 Win Mag) hiking in a couple miles tomorrow morning looking for some cow elk.

good to hear your 1885 is working for you :D:D

The lack of twist rates isn't the only wonky thing in the last couple of years on the site though; the 300 h@h showed up for a while but was pulled about the time my brother was going to make an order.
Also, if I remember correctly, Win was going to re-introduce some lh m 70 rifles again. I prefer the left hand action to the point that I'll switch brands and make mods before I'll buy a rh action in most cases.

I realize you are using the info you are given, but those giving the info to you need to realize that people DO watch the web for introductions and specs; it's not just there as an ad tool or because everyone has a web site.

Thanks. I love the Model 1885.

I can understand your frustration and appreciate your thoughts on the website.
For the most part products show and don't show based on the product managers directly in charge of the product. Let me illustrate what might be the case with the 300 H&H and LH Model 70s.

Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms as also other companies may introduce a product, often at an event like the SHOT Show. There is usually a small window (couple months or so) for dealers to order these products. Product quantities are set into motion with the manufacture based on the demand and orders received. From time to time a product may not receive enough orders to justify production.

In the case with Model 70s there are also other complexities regarding manufacturing plants that have changed a couple times in the past decade that may cause products to drop unexpectedly. I would guess this is the case with the LH models.

Here is an example with the Model 1885 in 300 Win Mag: Model 1885 rifles are produced every year but only in limited quantities and in ever changing calibers. This is the first time I have seen a 300 Win Mag produced since I started working in 2000. This being the case, I jumped on getting my order in because who knows how long it might be before they produce any more. The 300 Win Mag was introduced at the 2014 SHOT Show last January and based on the orders/demand I can see that only 45 of the rifles were produced and all shipped out in December.

My advise to you and others is if you see a particular caliber or variation of a firearm that may not be the common bread and butter variety, I suggest you contact your dealer immediately to get an order in to reserve one.

Here is another scenario that might be the case with the 300 h&h. And again I will refer to the Model 1885 in 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag was introduced at the 2014 SHOT Show and thus was flagged by the product manager to show on the website in the main product line area starting in January of 2014. The product delivered and was shipped out to all the dealers in December and now I see that the product manager has flagged the product to move it to the historical section of the website. The product just barely made it into the dealers hands and is now "Historical." Yes, I think this is not right and have fought this battle for years and will continue to do so.

The 1885 in 300 Win Mag is now here in the historical section.
Model 1885, High Wall Hunter, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model
I also notice that the "last catalog year" shows 2013. This should be 2014 because that was when it was introduced and apparently not going to be produced again for some time if the product has been moved to Historical. I will contact the product manager and ask them to add the missing twist rates and correct the "last catalog year."

You should now that we are working as hard as we can to supply the best and most accurate information. I will pass along your feedback and will continue to work to improve the information provided to you through the website.

Indecently my oldest son and I will be carrying Model 1885s (270 WSM & 300 Win Mag) hiking in a couple miles tomorrow morning looking for some cow elk.

Reviving This Old Thread

I love single single shot rifles and especially ones that shoot well. I have owned a Browning 1885 High Wall and Ruger No. 1s. Both have their pros and cons. I wish I had heard about Winchester making the Winchester 1885 High Wall in .300 Win Mag as there would have been one more order for one of them from me.

The Browning 1885 High Wall I had while I was living in Wyoming was a 7MM Rem Mag and the Ruger No. 1 was a rare Varminter in .300 Win Mag. I told about it elsewhere on the forum how I stumbled across it but sold it almost as soon as I bought it because a fellow hunter had his (that he loved dearly) stolen out of his truck. So I sold the one I had to him to replace his. I have been looking for a replacement since and that was back in the late 90s. I like Ruger No. 1 rifles but they do not have the fit and finish of the Browning 1885 High Walls. While I have never owned a Winchester 1885 High Wall I understand they are the same rifle as the Browning 1885 High Walls. Others will have to verify how true or false that is.

As I grow older, I grow more nostalgic. While I admire the latest ultra-long range magnum tack drivers I enjoy the simpler things in life, hunting, and shooting even more. If I had not developed a neurological disease that caused me muscle weakness primarily on my left side I would still be shooting my old custom long bow. I shot it bare bow and enjoyed the heck out of it. We all would enjoy life more if we took more time. I guess that is one of the reasons I love single shots. They make us take the time to focus. I shoot better because I know I have to place that first shot like I should.

I started off with and old rolling block .22LR. and you know I really loved that old gun. I don't remember the brand for sure so I'm not going to guess. I do know I remember learning very quickly to take my time aiming. That was back when all you had was iron sights so you had to get your rear sight, front sight, and your target all lined up. Scopes were years away and yet many squirrels, rabbits, and other table fare as well as Cotton Mouths fell to that old single shot. Sometimes it just feels good going back to simpler things that still work and that make you enjoy where you are and what you are doing more than you have in years. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.