Wildcats vs Traditional Cartridges

Well stated Jerry . I enjoy shooting and reloading . The brass prep is part of what I enjoy the most . I don't want to play with wildcats but am sure glad that there are people that do otherwise we would still be chucking rocks and sticks . The wildcats have a gap that they fill . I for one am glad to live in the best country in the world with all it's faults we still have the freedom to own firearms and to build wildcats . In the service I went to countries where that wasn't the case
Another well stated post!!

A wildcat offers a process for me.
My mind is hardly ever in idle when it comes to thinking, planing, building and testing/shooting these creations.
I'm completely fascinated (obsessed) with the process and learning. The large majority of my rifles are wildcats.

I wouldnt change a thing !
IMG_2452.JPG

I think it comes down to your reason for hunting/shooting. If you HONESTLY see a gun as just a tool to complete a task, wildcats offer nothing.

Most of us here look at this like a hobby. It the ability to tinker, improve, embrace OCD, and the process that provides as much enjoyment.

But, you're absolutely right. Every "task" in shooting can be achieved with something off the shelf though. And, there's nothing wrong with that if you choose it. I'm in that boat right now due to time constraints. There's a lot to be said for a Tikka 6.5 with an SWFA scope. It's about as boring as it gets. It's also about as effective as it gets.

I went through a stage with wildcats. The .300 Jarrett was well worth the small effort of fire forming at the time. Can't say I really gained anything with that one that couldn't readily be done with the .300 WM or Weatherby that were both available though. Now I just don't want to mess with it. I prefer to use "standard" sammi rounds with readily available brass, dies, etc. But I sure put too much $ into custom rifles, scopes, micrometer dies, etc. to get really accurate rifles! I'm happy to overspend on fine rifles. Accuracy is what really gets me going. 🤠

Not to bash, but why go through the trouble? For years manufacturers have sold us the same old boring selection, and then came the Ultra Mags and Short Mags. Bench shooters have mandated wildcats for years to the point we don't even realize it. Almost any shooting we do can be done with out of the box Ammo, but if I demand a .338 Campfire, or the 6XC, even the 7mm Blaser is a Wildcat still. These Rounds have been around for years and years. Ackley brought us the "Improved" Shoulder Wildcats & we've seen straight wall Cartridges for near a Century, modern Reamer Rentals offer us just about any Wildcat imaginable. Rifle Manufacturers won't even update Barrel twist rates for modern bullets. So it seems the end consumer is left holding the bag full of dull has been's, or is he? Some shooters wear out a barrel in a month, some a lifetime, but for the average Joe the 270 WSM or 6.5 Creedmoor can handle just about any job. I've been wearing the Wildcat blinders for a couple of years now, but you know, I really just don't need one do I? Are we being Hyped into something unnecessary? Remember there is an entire Industry that depends on Wildcat shooters and the lore of custom Rifles.

Most of today's standard calibers began as a "Wildcat ", as they were derived by taking cases like 30-06, 308, 300 Savage and necking them down or up to other calibers. P.O. Ackley found changing shoulder angles to increase power worked great. The '06 gave us the. 270 and 25-06. Some caught on and others faded into the dust. But there are still some out there who dream of taking a piece of 50BMG brass and necking it down to the size of a needle.

I got into BR when we fireform Sako 220 Russian brass for 6ppc. I shot few wildcat 30x44/30x47 in HBBR. To this day I still shoot tight neck 6ppc but use Lapua.

All the Ackley's I had build, I shot parent case and like today I have Kreiger barrel 243 and Brux barrel 243AI. When I had first 280AI wildcat build I was shooting 280 which I later used for spec 280AI. On some of my hunting rifles their on 2/3 rd barrel and I'll replace barrels more on just wanting to try something else.

I think you have to build for yourself vs what others think average shooter should use.

It's about as boring as it gets. It's also about as effective as it gets.
Simple can be sound, dang sound.
I chased hot rod 6mm's for 2-3 yrs, fireforming, forming in dies, etc.. Lots of fun, learned, failed, but at the end of the day, there was one case really did what I was asking for 1/3rd the work. 6 Creed, but I ignored it.
We all learn from wildcatting though, one way or the other.

The chances that there is a factory rifle with all the attributes that some people want are slim to none, so the wildcat is born. Most wildcats are no better than many factory cartridges In the right rifle, they are just different. Normally a well though out cartridge fills a gap in the performance offered buy factories, so they will have a purpose. Some will out perform any factory offering in their class and in many cases this is the attraction.

Having built and designed many wildcats there is a great amount of knowledge that is obtained from building wildcats that can improve ones understanding of factory cartridges and the reasons behind some of their design, and will be a valuable to aid in the improvement of these cartridges.

Many of the wildcat designs are the basis for the New factory offerings. So wildcats have been responsible for many of the great designs offered by the factories.

Many shooters are not interested in "How" or "Why" something works, just how it performs for their use. Others Like to know "How" and "Why" so they can get the most from their firearm and understand the effects of any change they might want to make. And as said, Have fun doing and
Understanding the differences that a wildcat offers.

There will always be some that will be more than satisfied with factory offerings. and a small majority will always want something different and wildcats fill their needs.

I don't think that ether one by its self will fill the needs of some and they will have and use both.

J E CUSTOM
True, true! I have an engineering friend who's interest in LRS became fun when he learned that "math" counts. Without the science and his ability to study it and to improve upon it, on his own, he would loose interest. For me, and several of my friends, he has become a very important part of our shooting and hunting expierence. One should never discount the contribution of the "Wildcat" cartrage to our "Sport". While I am in the mood; I would like to say one more thing: I do recognize, as many others due on this website," hype" and how to deal with it. Thank you for your contributions to this website; I read them all.

I love rifles, so I have all ways enjoyed learning about different cartridges, standard, wildcat, proprietary, obsolete, ect. It's just amazing seeing what has been done and can be done. Never was shore if I wanted to have a wildcat but then last year ran a cross a 400 Whelen. As I love researching the history firearms and cartridges I had learned a far amount about the 400 Whelen, so the bug bite an I bought it. I have been having fun working loads up for it and can't wait to take it hunting. Wildcats are not for every one but they can be a lot of fun.
I think it is all it what gets you excited, accuracy, velocity, unique, history, ect. It's all fun an good.

Sometimes, using a wildcat will also allow you to use much better brass than using another type of original cartridge. Take the 7 WSM and the 7 MAX for example, they are pretty close in case capacity but WSM brass is very limited in what you can get. the 7 MAX is based off of the SAUM and brass is made by ADG which is very good brass. Some may say why not just use a 7 SAUM then? I say why use it when you can fire form the brass to the 7 MAX and get more velocity out of it if you want to?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.