Belted Cartridges vs. Non-Belted

swpc629

I know this question calls for an opinionated answer. But here goes. Which is better as far as accuracy goes belted or non-belted? I know the belted cartridges headspaces off of the belt and the non-belted headspaces off the shoulder. I know a few older guys that will not own anything that is belted.

I know this question calls for an opinionated answer. But here goes. Which is better as far as accuracy goes belted or non-belted? I know the belted cartridges headspaces off of the belt and the non-belted headspaces off the shoulder. I know a few older guys that will not own anything that is belted.
Horses for courses!
Hype invented by gun magazines to sell copies. Period.

gun)

My gunsmith told me why alot of his older customers say they don't want belted calibers is because brass quality sucked back in the day. And technology was nowhere near as precise.

With today's technology, neither one is anymore accurate than the other.

I have both belteds and non-belteds that will stick 5 inside 1 ragged hole...I haven't noticed any difference in my experiences. :cool:

Belted or un-belted vs accuracy !!! Has nothing to do with it, the quality of the brass, rifle, bullets, scope and most importantly the shooter has everything to do with it, in my opinion. I have some belted mags that shoot amazingly well just like unbelted and vice versa.. a non factor for the most part.

Sounds like you have the answer .

I also agree that one is not better than the other. They both have there purpose and benefits.

J E CUSTOM

I have to say, I no longer dislike belted cartridges. It used to impact my decision on a rifle but no more.

There is one reloading note: don't follow the book recommendations on how far to turn your sizing die down. Do it the same way the accuracy loaders do it for non-belted. but that suggestion is the same for both as well.

I have to say, I no longer dislike belted cartridges. It used to impact my decision on a rifle but no more.

There is one reloading note: don't follow the book recommendations on how far to turn your sizing die down. Do it the same way the accuracy loaders do it for non-belted. but that suggestion is the same for both as well.
Well, I've run into the one bugaboo with belted cartridges.

Diameter growth just above the belt where the FL sizer won't reach.

257 Weatherby:

• The rifle appears to be a "tight" head space, very close to the minimum.
  • New Nosler brass chambers fine.
  • The bolt barely closes on my Hornady modified case.
  • "Once" fired brass AKA "range" brass does not chamber.
  • Visible buffing of the brass at the belt that matches the spacing the bolt has left before closing.
I have one more measurement to make that I forgot last night but I'm sure because of the buffing of the brass.

I'm going to stop by the smith to borrow his go/no-go gauge but...

With head space this "tight"/short there is no possibility to let the case space on the shoulder.

so

If, with the go/no-go gauge check it turns out to be that "tight", I would like to open it up so that the the case can head space on the shoulder.

Comments please...

That is the main reason I don't like a belt. Without a belt I can size all the way to the groove. Matt
Yup.

Well, the chamber is on spec. The "once" fired brass I purchased may be suspect. I'll have to check for case thinning.

The collet die does look pretty interesting for the cases based off of the 375HH. I asked him if he offers one for the 378 Weatherby based cases, but he doesn't.

It seems like a full length resizing die based on a collet would be a wonderful thing for any cartridge but obviously it is non trivial to make.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.