Wildcat cartridges

Rich, I am just going by memory here but IIRC, you said it was Gibbs that influenced your wildcats. If not, I stand corrected.

Ed
No, it was Ackley. I think where the Gibbs part came in was when I posted that I shot Ackleys for years and decided to up my performance by going to A Gibbs. I went so far as to order brass but when I looked at it, I thought, "I dont want that short necked thing", so I sent the brass back and designed the Sherman with more the A.I design but with a Sherman twist to gain Gibbs capacity.
So hats off to P.O. and Rocky!

No, it was Ackley. I think where the Gibbs part came in was when I posted that I shot Ackleys for years and decided to up my performance by going to A Gibbs. I went so far as to order brass but when I looked at it, I thought, "I dont want that short necked thing", so I sent the brass back and designed the Sherman with more the A.I design but with a Sherman twist to gain Gibbs capacity.
So hats off to P.O. and Rocky!

I found one of your old posts that led me to make the comment ...

The Gibbs WILL do what people say! It was actually the reason the Sherman case was developed. I was going to build a Gibbs, but did not like the short neck so designed the Sherman case as a result. The cases are identical in capacity, but the Sherman has less body taper and a 40 degree shoulder for less case stretching and better barrel life, because it also has a much longer neck. I had no problem reaching 3050' with 190's in a 26" barrel. The Sherman reamer will clean up a 30-06 chamber, or a Gibbs for that matter. They both are truly a magnum on an '06 head size......Rich

Extracted from https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-shoots.3340/

I found one of your old posts that led me to make the comment ...

Extracted from https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-shoots.3340/
Yes, that thread was talking about the Gibbs but there are others that spoke about my loving my A.I.'s and wanted Gibbs performance, which is what that thread eluded too.
Ive posted several places on burning out my 2 Ackley barrels and deciding to up performance. I looked at the Gibbs because of velocity but never built one. I then designed a Shermanized Ackley because the Ackley design was much better!

Yes, that thread was talking about the Gibbs but there are others that spoke about my loving my A.I.'s and wanted Gibbs performance, which is what that thread eluded too.
Ive posted several places on burning out my 2 Ackley barrels and deciding to up performance. I looked at the Gibbs because of velocity but never built one. I then designed a Shermanized Ackley because the Ackley design was much better!

Here is the story
There are numerous other documents/posts around as well.

Gotcha! You're influenced by both wildcatters.

Here is the one from this forum that really describes it.

C I think the 375 is the largest dia bullet with the 06 case however the 284 casse is a bit larger and it may be large enough for the 411 bullet but you are getting close to headspace problems. I see tath a 411 bullet is. 64 smaller in Dia. than the 284 case and with a 40* sholder you may have enough headspace.. I believe that you can do a 40 cal on the 06 case which is .441 and you case or 284 case is .475 I know on thing for sure the 6.5/284 in a savage 111 the long action is a real good shooter.. your idea is possible.. it should make a Bear stopper..

C I think the 375 is the largest dia bullet with the 06 case however the 284 casse is a bit larger and it may be large enough for the 411 bullet but you are getting close to headspace problems. I see tath a 411 bullet is. 64 smaller in Dia. than the 284 case and with a 40* sholder you may have enough headspace.. I believe that you can do a 40 cal on the 06 case which is .441 and you case or 284 case is .475 I know on thing for sure the 6.5/284 in a savage 111 the long action is a real good shooter.. your idea is possible.. it should make a Bear stopper..
I have the .411-284 completed, and have fired many rounds through it. I worked up a load from 50 Gr of IMR 4895, and found accuracy best at 56.5 grains, which fills the case to the base of the neck. The bullet is seated to just touch the powder for a COAL of 2.915". This combo chronos 2230 fps from a 22" barrel (350 gr Hawk) and has over 3800 lbs of energy. Built on a 1910 Mex Mauser.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts