Belted Cartridges vs. Non-Belted

The collet die does look pretty interesting for the cases based off of the 375HH. I asked him if he offers one for the 378 Weatherby based cases, but he doesn't.

It seems like a full length resizing die based on a collet would be a wonderful thing for any cartridge but obviously it is non trivial to make.

I wondered about FL collet die s as well. Instead of "small base" or shimming. Time will show if any makers think it valuable.

That is the main reason I don't like a belt. Without a belt I can size all the way to the groove. Matt

No you can't!
No die sizes the solid portion of a case, no matter what type it is.
The reason you can't size the expansion ring on some belted cases is due to brass design, Weatherby/Norma brass is the worst for this, the solid web ends just above the belt by roughly .018", other brands run well above this, more like .040"-.080" above the belt.

Cheers.
gun)

No you can't!
No die sizes the solid portion of a case, no matter what type it is.
The reason you can't size the expansion ring on some belted cases is due to brass design, Weatherby/Norma brass is the worst for this, the solid web ends just above the belt by roughly .018", other brands run well above this, more like .040"-.080" above the belt.

Cheers.
gun)
I can size all the way to the groove with the dies my buddy made me. I can get .0002 to .0005. My friction thimble Mititoyo tells me so. I have done it thousands of times. I shoot 2 different 300 WSMs in 1000 yard BR and sized my cases this way for years. I don't get bolt click that way and can shoot the cases for years. It is really accurate also because I broke a bunch if records. Matt

I can size all the way to the groove with the dies my buddy made me. I can get .0002 to .0005. My friction thimble Mititoyo tells me so. I have done it thousands of times. I shoot 2 different 300 WSMs in 1000 yard BR and sized my cases this way for years. I don't get bolt click that way and can shoot the cases for years. It is really accurate also because I broke a bunch if records. Matt
Figured you were talking about custom dies... Not everybody has the means to afford custom dies, or has a buddy who helps them out. So, like Magnum said, there's no way you're sizing into the web with regular off-the-shelf dies.

Yes there is. A lot of the reamers used in 1000 yard BR are tight on the back end to keep primer pockets. If you don't size the base a little you will get bolt click after 2 to 3 firings. Bolt click is caused by not sizing the back end. It has nothing to do with bump. A factory die will usually not size enough. You can take a regular full length die and cut the shoulder out of it so it doesn't bump the shoulder. Now take a fired case and measure right in front of the extractor groove. You can then take small amounts off the bottom of the die and size the case and keep checking until you get what you need. Then you can size and bump in your Full length Bushing die. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts