Belted vs Non Belted cases

mrbofus

Was in a discussion the other day about accuracy and the topic came up that Non Belted cases and more accurate than a belted case.

true or false and why, just wondering.

False. There's no difference. A competent reloader will ignore the belt and set the headspace of the belted round using the shoulder.

There have been plenty of long distance shooting records set with belted cases, that wouldn't have happened if they weren't conducive to accuracy.

False. There's no difference. A competent reloader will ignore the belt and set the headspace of the belted round using the shoulder.

There have been plenty of long distance shooting records set with belted cases, that wouldn't have happened if they weren't conducive to accuracy.

Exactly! Gary is 100% correct. Belted or not has nothing to do with accuracy.

I say no, but then I hedge my bet with, it's unlikely I'll add too many rifles chambered for belted.

The way I think we got to belt less being better than belted is largely marketing. Along the way the powders, primers, bullets, optics, CNC machining all got better.

The .300 H&H is capable of tremendous accuracy. I picked this because I know what modern loads, and components will do.

However, download it to pressures in the 45,000 range, because your loading cordite, in extreme heat, and the new belt less short mags will look shinier by comparison.

There's nothing inherently inaccurate about a belted cartridge.

However, most winning long range target shooters nowadays are not using belted cases. The current trend is toward shorter, fatter beltless cases. The theory is that shorter fatter powder columns offer more consistent ignition. You'll see lots of WSMs, SAUM, and a bunch of .284 based cases. The 1K bench rest guys seem to be in love with the 6 dasher.

Belted cases are avoided for several reasons...

First, when you size them properly (headspace them off the shoulder instead of the belt), standard sizing dies don't size the area just above the belt. With stout loads, brass will flow into this area and cause problems in a tight chamber after a few firings. Specialty dies can fix this problem, but it's extra expense and/or reloading steps.

Second, most belted cases are magnums and the recoil becomes an issue. BR guys don't want to upset their rifles on a quick string, F-Class guys don't want to take the pounding from a magnum case over 100 shots with a brake-less rifle. Ditto NRA Highpower competitors.

Third, most target guys want to start with the best brass money can buy, and the field is limited for belted cases. Lapua for example, does not make belted cases.

Again, I don't think belts make a case inaccurate but for the reasons above, the serious target guys have evolved away from using them.

-nosualc

Nosualc put it very well.

There is no inherent accuracy issue.
There is not the same effort to develop short aspect ratio case designs because there is no accuracy difference.
There is a difference in resizing, measuring and forming cases.
A wildcatter can't take a collection of dies from the bench and form cases if the belt gets in the way.

Would shooters praise belted cases more if there was a Sherman Belted Short Mag?

Using the SSM as an example. Shorten a SAUM die .105 and you have your forming die. Turn the necks, neck size, trim and shoot. Can't do that with a belt in the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.