Non-belted substitute for 300 Win Mag?

Beowolf

Is there a cartridge out there with similar performance to the 300 Win Mag, but in an unbelted case? I know the 300 RUM, but any others?

I was planning on doing my new rig in 300 Win Mag, but much as I love the cartridge, I don't want to have to deal with belts anymore. Between the "belt bulge" that's a PITA to get out, and the headspacing issues, etc, I'm looking for an accurate 30cal with similar performance. I'd also like to have it be at least reasonably popular so I can get quality dies and good brass (or at least form the casings from good brass). How does the RUM stack up for this? Accuracy is a big concern as it's primarily going to be a paper puncher, lr hunting rig second.

300 WSM slightly less performance then the 300 Win Mag.

300 Dakota, slightly more performance then the 300 Win Mag.

Both beltless magnum designs.

Kirby Allen(50)

I recently acquired a new 300wm myself. I've only had my fifty rounds of brass through the chamber and dies a couple times. I've seen no issues. What are they going to be? So far I ignore the belt and size like I would anything else. I like my sizer to just touch the shoulder. Not moving it, just containing it. I appreciate the info. Forewarned is forearmed.

I have loaded belted cases since 1978. Belted rigs I load for right now are 257Wby, 7mmRM, 300WM, 300Wby, 338-378Wby. Never gave a belt a second thought. I usually use Lee Collet dies and only bump the shoulder ever 10 firings or so. Mine all headspace on the shoulders this way just like any other bottlenosed case. I have some 7mm Rem Mag brass that have been fired 30 times. I mainly shoot my 300Wby now and have a batch of 20 in my box that are up to 15 now. These were used in my old 300Wby before I bought my Accumark. I really baby these and only push my 180's to 3300fps and never push 200's over 3160fps at the most. I usually lose brass due to loose primer pockets or neck splits if one does go bad. What's a belt bulge?

Gotta concur with Hired Gun and Catshooter. I've got a custom 300WM and 7RM and can't imagine how I can get much better accuracy without going to a bench gun. Not once have I ever had a problem with belted cases. If you like the 300WM, go with it and don't worry about the belt. Just get a good smith to set it up right.

If you're hell bent on beltless, go with the 300WSM if your primary use will be punching paper. If it were critters, I would say the 300 RUM.

Hi their is nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM 300 Rem Short Action Ultra Mag,or 300 Ultra. The 308 Bare is a very popular benchrest cartrige it is basicaly a 300 WBY mag with a 35 degree shoulder and improved it still has the belt and has won many benchrest competitions. I would however go with the 300 ultra if you are looking at a long action as you can down load it to low pressure loads that will be the equivelant as top pressure loads in the 300 win mag and if the need arrised like you wnated to shoot 240gr MatchKings past 1K you would be able to. But if you are looking at the short action their is the 300 WSM and also the 300 Rem Short action Ultra that is the case i prefer especialy as Norma now is making cases for it.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The RWS 8x68s necked down to .30 will get you what you want. You can blow the taper out of the case if you like. RWS brass is known for quality and strength. Dave Tooley calls his version the BooBoo.

What about a wildcat? Quality brass and dies are always available from quality parent cases. Maybe a 30 Gibbs...or one of many others to choose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.