Wife's 6.5 Creed for Africa

Sounds Fantastic wishing you all your best hunts ever ,your right to teach her it comes down to seconds shooting off the sticks,maybe viewing other hunters employing same shooting techniques,Cheers and Enjoy yourselves 🥳😉🥳

We are making a couples trip to Africa in Sept and the accountant told us that the only way we could write off our wives, is if they hunt. My wife has never hunted anything other than gophers! I let her know the news, and she said ok! Didn't even bat an eye. Cool! Better get her a rifle! I have the action from my daughter's Weatherby Vanguard that I swapped her my 280ai for. It's a short action originally a 7-08, so decided to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I know, I know. But since we designed the 85g Hammer Hunter and knowing I can push them really fast, it made the Creed interesting.

Went out on Friday and Brian and I got 4 new rifles developed for the upcoming trip to Africa. A bit more about her rifle. 20" Bartlein 1-8" twist light Sporter, Vanguard short action, Stockey's Stock, Athlon Midas 1-6x24, with a Gunwerks 6ix suppressor. All in weighs 8.5 lbs. Started load development with Lever evolution and was able to get them up to 3800 fps! Accuracy wasn't great and es was a bit more than I wanted so went to Varget and have them running nicely at 3540 fps with single digit es. Shooting about 3/4". Good enough for a 400 ish yard hunting rig. Not going to spend the time to get it tighter.

Now today, took my wife out to shoot her new giant slayer, creedmoor! She has a lot of experience shooting archery years ago when we got married. She competed indoor and at 3D shoots for several years, until we had babies, and almost always brought home hardware. Also has always done well shooting gophers with the 22. So, I wasn't worried about her ability nearly as much as she was. We just went straight to shooting standing off tripod sticks like we will in Africa. Started at the 100y 10" gong. She went 5 for 5. So we moved to the 200y 10" gong and she busted it 10 for 10. Even with me pushing her to get set on the sticks and hurry before that animal runs!

What a fun setup. Quiet and almost no recoil. About like a 22 mag. Will let you all know how she does in Africa.
Very Very Cool............Hope you have a great experience.

Not yet. They are getting closer to the top of the list. Not really interested in lion but the leopard is interesting.
Myself I feel that the caliber is on the light side of things. A good muzzle brake would go a long way in increasing the caliber. The smaller animals that rifle I feel is okay. On larger animals I feel it on the very light side. I kind of feel it's like bring a knife to a gun fight. I don't even think they would let you out there for leopards with that small of caliber. In some countries they have rules on caliber that can be used, and more likely the guides have rules on calibers.
Wish the both of you all the luck in the world, and good hunting. GOOD LUCK!

Watch the Weatherby podcast "On The Mark" featuring the Hammer owners with Adam Weatherby. Steve and Brian explain in detail how the Hammer bullets are designed to perform. Excellent! After that you can go to Ron Spomer and listen to another great podcast. If Weatherby is on board, you can rest assure the bullet performs!

Hey Steve, curious on which cartridges & bullet weights you'll be using over there.
Also, your wife's rifle is beautiful, how do you like the Stocky's stock??

Here you go Steve and Cody. If you ever get a chance to go into Nature's Design new bldg. in Cody do it. Like a museum .

IMG_20220716_122051863.jpg
IMG_20220716_122104181.jpg
IMG_20220716_122104181.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_121525817_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220716_121525817_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Didn't make it to Africa until I reached 69 YO. After 4 adventures and the pandemic, I'm trying to figure out how/when to return. It's highly addictive!
I took a 300 WM my first trip. After that only my 375 H&H went. You just never know what you will see and suddenly decide you need to take it. African game tends to be a bit more tenacious to life than a lot of our wildlife. Possibly because they have more predators. Thus I'm a believer that bigger calibers are better.
You're going to have a grand Africa adventure! We expect pictures at the least!
Oh yes, I highly recommend getting Dr Kevin Robertson's book "The Perfect Shot" before you go. Tons of excellent anatomy info, cartridge recommendations, etc.