Minimum Barrel Length for 6.5 Creed

I haven't seen any real intredt in my neck of the woods. I have a friend that wants a 20. Other than that 24 and 26 gets most play here.
Shep

Triarc Systems is building an AR-10 for me, 6.5 Creedmoor, 16" barrel.
They have barrels with new rifling design that should help retain velocity while increasing accuracy. They're recommending Hornady 129gr SST Superformance ammo. Promising sub moa out to 1000 yds.
I'll report back after I receive it in Feb 2020.

Thinking about having a rifle built in 6.5 creedmoor. I plan to run a can and I'm wondering what is the minimum barrel length I can get away with, without limiting my shooting distance.

So we are not all speculating/guessing, you first need to establish what those parameters are. What are the shooting distance criteria? Target or game? What game (deer, elk)?

I have a 6.5x55 with an 18" barrel and "I" set the limit on a game at 300 yards for its intended purpose and current set-up, but that's just me.

Here's a link to another article that gives some insight to the performance of a short-barreled (16-1/2") 6.5 Creedmoor:
https://rifleshooter.com/2016/05/16-6-5-creedmoor-synopsis-of-a-short-rifle/

And here's one with a +P throat, that can provide extra velocity over the standard chambering:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-carbon-terminator-in-6-5-creedmore-p.208490/

The minimum barrel length that will work for you depends on your desired performance. Are you looking to hunt medium-sized game at 700 yards or 500 yards? Determine your performance requirements, and then see what minimum muzzle velocity/bullet combo will deliver it for you. Then with some info like the cited articles and others' experience, see what minimum barrel length will likely provide the needed muzzle velocity. But remember, it's only a prediction and your actual performance may be better or worse, as each rifle is unique.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.