6.5 Bullet for Africa plains game

I have not personally hunted Africa, but one of my good friends has on three different hunts. He has had great success with Accubonds (140 gr) on medium plains game (up to 300 lbs), and Hammers on heavier animals (in his 6.5 Creed). However, he and his dad use .338 Mags on the largest animals. They tell tales of their wonderous trips. However, my friend Joe did make one big mistake: excited, he shot a large antelope a few inches behind the front shoulder just below midline, and the animal got away. They followed and tracked the animal for two days, and finally brought in dogs to help find the animal, before a second shot finished it. The original shot had hit the upper edge of one lung, as he found out later. The ideal aimpoint on these large antelope is usually 6-9" up the back half of the front shoulder to hit heart and lungs, NOT 7" behind that. Be sure of your target, or Don't Shoot. --- Also, hunting in Africa is Very Expensive!

I killed two 5x5 bull elk last year with my 6.5 GAP Mountain Rifle that I bought from Len Backus using the 156 Berger. Shots were 150 and 250 yards, both dropped at the shot. When I went to Africa, I killed a warthog, impala and besbuck with a Kimber Montana 7-08 shooting 120 grain TTSX, all one shot kills. I then killed a kudu and gemsbok with a Sako A7S in 270 Winchester shooting Sako factory 156 grain Hammerheads. Both animals dropped at the shot (75 and 50 yards) and both needed an up-close finisher. The Hammerheads had core jacket separation, I doubt they are the same Hammerheads mentioned on this forum. When in doubt, use a Barnes in Africa. Good luck.

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.
I loaded 130 ttsx barnes in my daughters 260. Shot the heck out of blesbok, red hartabeast, kudu, springbock , impala and big zebra stallion. All one shot kills. Zebra went through both shoulder, lungs and heart! Wonderful performance.

Probably more important than what you shoot is practicing to shoot. You will be shooting off sticks! Three of us took a lot of game and there was only one prone shot! Different distances and different angles! Practice off sticks, practice off sticks! I have my own place to shoot and was able to practice , first off a two legged home made set up and then the three legged home made like they use over there. It made all the difference! I thought I would be over gunned with a 375 so I loaded Barnes triple shocks instead of my favorite Sierra game Kings. Wrong! They recovered several 250 grain bullets of mine and several 300 grains Barnes for others. Warthog to blue wildebeest with reds and gems in between! You will not be over gunned but will be taking the best with the 375! A friend went over there to hunt buffalo and the PH got him an own use trouble elephant! Special deal I know! Still he used his own 375, you won't do that with anything less!!!!

I've been to africa 5 times and have killed at least 5 animals each trip so I have some experience there. Some great advice above on vitals on animals. The first question is WHERE will you be hunting? North cape or East Cape vs the Limpopo in RSA would affect my decision. Much of the North Cape is open and longer shots are likely going to present themselves. That being the case I'd use the 156 Berger. In the Limpopo you are probably going to be in the bushveld. A long shot might be 150 yds and the Norma might be the bullet to use. Even if your getting 2 inch groups at 100 yds... Or an AB or perhaps a a Barnes.
Then you need to consider your species. What animals do you intend on hunting with the 6.5? A Kudu is as big as or can be bigger than a bull elk. How about an Roan? 2nd biggest antelope in the world. Wound one and you pay a trophy fee of $4-$6K. So I'd use the .375 there...... What I'm saying is use enough gun. Will a 6.5 whatever kill a roan? Yes it will. Is it ideal. No its not. So look at your animals as well as your bullet.
In the past I've used TTSX's and AB's. My last trip I expected some longer range shooting. I took my 7 SAUM with 180 gr Bergers. 15 one shot kills including 2 cape eland (487 and 513 yds). I used 2 on a Pattersons eland that appeared to weigh around 2000 lbs. He was getting ready to go down when I hit him the 2nd time. I was going to use my .375 on him, but circumstances changed how that went down. I hunted both RSA and Zambia that last hunt and a buddy used my rifle in Zambia also to bring up the animal total.
The Berger 156 is a new bullet, but likely the one I would take where any longer shot might be offered. I have had good results with them and have read on here of others doing well with them. Then perhaps the AB as my second choice. I have never used a Hammer bullet. I have been tempted to. They likely would do well for you also.
If you have not joined over to africahunting.com then you should do so. Lots of experience over there on permits, rifle transport, travel in africa, trip prep and getting trophies home. Good luck on your upcoming hunt. I hope its for 2021. 2020 sooner than Sept may not happen.....
Bruce
My last trip to Africa I harvested 12 animals with 13 shots from .375 Weatherby shooting Federal .375H & H 260 gr. accubonds. Going back this fall (l hope) and I hope to do the same thing all over again including a Cape Buffalo and a crocodile.

Also, hunting in Africa is Very Expensive
I will accept that Africa costs more than a DIY hunt out west. Lets compare it a guided hunt to a guided hunt. A 1 week horseback hunt in west for elk will run $5-$10K. Average will be close to $7500 plus or minus. I can fly to Africa roundtrip for around $1500. I can kill 5 plains game animals on a package hunt for $3500-$5500. This does not apply if you are looking at high dollar animals like cape buffalo, sable and roan. Those will cost you more. My last RSA hunt was about $6K with tip for 7 animals and included 2 eland, which aren't cheap animals. Maybe it isn't "cheap" but the bang for the buck is pretty good. To go further, a guided elk hunt may average out perhaps 60-80% success rate. In a good area in Africa the success rate is often over 100% as it's fairly common to take 1-2 animals not on the original list.
If you choose to hunt Uganda, Tanzania or a few other areas then yes it is expensive. Those areas it's easy to spend over $30K. Dangerous game is expensive to hunt too. A WILD lion in a wild area will north of $50K. I try to go every other or every 3rd year. I have to save up to go, but I think its worth it. YMMV
Bruce

There are plenty of bargains in South Africa. I have a nine day plains game hunt, twenty animals, five species of which five are considered trophy animals for $4500, airfare is another $1000. If one is going with taxidermy, an all trophy hunt can easily double the cost. Unfortunately with the Chinese virus situation, this year's hunting looks highly unlikely.

There are plenty of bargains in South Africa. I have a nine day plains game hunt, twenty animals, five species of which five are considered trophy animals for $4500, airfare is another $1000. If one is going with taxidermy, an all trophy hunt can easily double the cost. Unfortunately with the Chinese virus situation, this year's hunting looks highly unlikely.
However, ld expect you'll see thr cost improve significantly across the board. Especially flights for the first 6-8 months. This will stimulate the economy. Just my guess.

However, ld expect you'll see thr cost improve significantly across the board. Especially flights for the first 6-8 months. This will stimulate the economy. Just my guess.

Airlines are dropping prices to Africa already. Some are 40 to 50 percent lower. The question is whether someone is going to sit in an aircraft for sixteen hours with a possibly infected person sitting next to them. I don't see anybody going anywhere until they start administering tests at the boarding stations.
Edit: OR have a vaccine or relatively reliable cure.

Last edited:
I will agree that travel anytime soon is not likely and africa may lose this entire hunting season. One thought is to buy the airfare expecting it to still be shut down and postpone travel until 21 or 22. Airfare for me in Aug is about 1/3 lower than in the past. I'm considering that to save $500. Something to consider. United and Delta are letting you move flights back up to 2 years with no change fees.. If you can get there in Oct-Nov then there should be some bargains available. Safety first however!
Bruce

While I do love Barnes, it's nice to see that the original old reliable Nosler Partition is still getting lots of love in Africa.

I have been to Africa three times and have shot over 25 animals. Ranging in size from steenbok to Cape buffalo. I recently took a trip with several buddies and we shot over 30 animals and were testing some new long range rifles I built. Of the half dozen Ascension Arms rifles we brought on this safari, we had three 6.5 caliber rifles. (6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 RSAUM and 26 Nosler) we used these calibers on many animals including sable. We used a 375 Ruger caliber to harvest the eland and buffalo. Regarding bullets types, we were all using Berger bullets in the long range rifles and Swift for 375. I already had a good history of performance using Berger and Barnes bullets on my previous safaris and didn't see the need to explore other options. Bottom line is the Berger bullets performed flawlessly. As many people mentioned, bullet placement is key. I can post more details on the specific bullets and loads if interested. FYI: this particular safari was in Limpopo province and we had many long range shooting opportunities. There is thick brush in that province but, there are also many large power lines, roads and sendero that ran through this particular property. We also hunted in the mountains in Limpopo for reedbuck and kill springier. On a previous hunt, I did hunt the Cape area and it is a long range hunters dream! Elevation and many open spaces.
38229427-1BCA-4D58-A9DE-1E591997E20D.jpeg

I have been to Africa three times and have shot over 25 animals. Ranging in size from steenbok to Cape buffalo. I recently took a trip with several buddies and we shot over 30 animals and were testing some new long range rifles I built. Of the half dozen Ascension Arms rifles we brought on this safari, we had three 6.5 caliber rifles. (6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 RSAUM and 26 Nosler) we used these calibers on many animals including sable. We used a 375 Ruger caliber to harvest the eland and buffalo. Regarding bullets types, we were all using Berger bullets in the long range rifles and Swift for 375. I already had a good history of performance using Berger and Barnes bullets on my previous safaris and didn't see the need to explore other options. Bottom line is the Berger bullets performed flawlessly. As many people mentioned, bullet placement is key. I can post more details on the specific bullets and loads if interested. FYI: this particular safari was in Limpopo province and we had many long range shooting opportunities. There is thick brush in that province but, there are also many large power lines, roads and sendero that ran through this particular property. We also hunted in the mountains in Limpopo for reedbuck and kill springier. On a previous hunt, I did hunt the Cape area and it is a long range hunters dream! Elevation and many open spaces. View attachment 187745
Did you use Berger's 140 gr VLD Hunting bullet? I have used these along with Nosler 142 ABLR to good effect in my 26 Nosler.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.