Minimum Barrel Length for 6.5 Creed

Glocklover72

Thinking about having a rifle built in 6.5 creedmoor. I plan to run a can and I'm wondering what is the minimum barrel length I can get away with, without limiting my shooting distance.

If you want to shoot long distance I personally wouldn't drop below 20" but I know others have done it. My brother has a 20" Tikka 6.5 creed and it has worked really good out to 1K. Probably all comes down to your intended distances/performance.

If you're handloading you should be fine at 20". I'm getting 2874 with RL-16 and the Berger 140 EH out of a 22" tube.

Minimum barrel length? The recent Precision Rifle Shooter magazine has an article on 6.5CM velocities for 5 factory loads at barrel lengths from 24" to 7" one inch at a time. My recollection is that, for the Federal 135 Berger Hybrid Hunter, you lose 100 fps between 22" and 18", and another 100 fps between 18" and 16". I think the numbers were roughly 2700 fps at 22"; 2500 at 16".

Put me down for the 20. If I was going to run subs only then 16 for sure. I like my rifles to be 24 to 26 for hunting but wouldnt mind a little 16 to 20 incher for blind use.
Shep

What would a Grendel do better with a shorter barrel than a creedmoor?
If you're only getting 23-2400fps you are in the Grendel class of cartridges. A 6.8 SPC was designed for 16" barrels and would give similar performance as a 16" Creed. Especially in the 120gr bullet area. A lot less in recoil, flash, noise, and powder consumption. To me it's silly to handicap a good cartridge with a short barrel. May as well shoot a smaller cartridge. I'm not judging at all. Ive got plenty of guns that don't really make sense. My Contenders come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.