Minimum Barrel Length for 6.5 Creed

Glocklover72

Thinking about having a rifle built in 6.5 creedmoor. I plan to run a can and I'm wondering what is the minimum barrel length I can get away with, without limiting my shooting distance.

outdoorsmunn

If you want to shoot long distance I personally wouldn't drop below 20" but I know others have done it. My brother has a 20" Tikka 6.5 creed and it has worked really good out to 1K. Probably all comes down to your intended distances/performance.

LongWalker

If you're handloading you should be fine at 20". I'm getting 2874 with RL-16 and the Berger 140 EH out of a 22" tube.

Nozzler

Minimum barrel length? The recent Precision Rifle Shooter magazine has an article on 6.5CM velocities for 5 factory loads at barrel lengths from 24” to 7” one inch at a time. My recollection is that, for the Federal 135 Berger Hybrid Hunter, you lose 100 fps between 22” and 18”, and another 100 fps between 18” and 16”. I think the numbers were roughly 2700 fps at 22”; 2500 at 16”.

25WSM

Put me down for the 20. If I was going to run subs only then 16 for sure. I like my rifles to be 24 to 26 for hunting but wouldnt mind a little 16 to 20 incher for blind use.
Shep

John Klingenberg

What would a Grendel do better with a shorter barrel than a creedmoor?
If you're only getting 23-2400fps you are in the Grendel class of cartridges. A 6.8 SPC was designed for 16" barrels and would give similar performance as a 16" Creed. Especially in the 120gr bullet area. A lot less in recoil, flash, noise, and powder consumption. To me it's silly to handicap a good cartridge with a short barrel. May as well shoot a smaller cartridge. I'm not judging at all. Ive got plenty of guns that don't really make sense. My Contenders come to mind.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce