6.5 Bullet for Africa plains game

I have taken my 26 Nolser to Africa several times and have used Nosler 142 gr ABLR bullets. I have not been able to get Barnes LRXs to shoot as accurately. Also usually take a second barrel and scope in 375 H&H using Hornady 250 gr GMX bullets. Have shot a wide range of PG game with the ABLRs. Only one animal out of many, a waterbuck, required more than one shot. The waterbuck went about 50 yards and then just stood in place. A second shot put him down immediately. The 375 mainly used for DG though have used it on some PG too. In some places (e.g., Mozambique), it's a PIA to take more than one rifle/barrel and have simply taken the 375. Have a great trip.

Shot placement is most critical but a good performing bullet shows accountability. 130gr Scirocco is a fantastic bullet. Barnes would also be a great choice. The new Federal TLR shot great in my 6.5PRC and it is a tough bullet.

For short distance shots under 200M I've had great accuracy from my 2 creedmoors (Sako Finnlight, and Bergara B-14 HMR) using the Hornady 160Gr RN ( you'll need to hand load them I'd suspect). Both rifles had 1/2MOA or under. My friend dropped a moose with the 160gr.
For long distances I'd recommend either the 127Gr Barnes or the 129Gr Hornady SST. Ive had great results regardless of velocity (within reason)

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.
For Africa! Barnes, Nosler Accubond, Hornady eld-x, Sierra grand slam, trophy bonded bear claw!

A LOT of good advice by guys that have BTDT. The 6.5 is a good all around choice if the cartridge, bullet and velocity are matched to the animal and terrain. gillettehunter had very good advice with those regards. Bottom line is the right bullet in the right spot, they're going to die with a little to zero tracking. And yes, one can be overgunned on PG. Truth be told, with ammo and components being fairly expensive to the locals, PHs I've hunted with told me thousands of PG have been killed with the .243.

I think the different vital zone is what has given African game the reputation for being "tougher" than other. Hide, muscle, and bone. Anatomy and corresponding shot placement. If it were me first choice 130 Sciroccos, second choice 140 Partitions, 3rd choice 127 LRX, 4th choice 140 Accubonds, 5th choice 140 A-Frames. The 130 Sciroccos fight the wind a bit better, but performance on game the 140 Nosler Partition is absolutely devastating. Front to back, side to side and any angle in between reliable. With feet of penetration and splendid initial expansion, they know they were trucked.

Last edited:
"Another bullet you can look at is the Woodleigh bullets. Www.woodleighbullets.com. I loaded some of the flatnose in my .30-.30 with sub moa at 100yds. Haven't taken any game with it as yet. Maybe this season."

I used the Woodleigh 420 grain solids in my 416 Rigby with devastating effect on 2 different cape buffalo hunts.

To add to the caliber talk above. I was hunting Klipspringer in the mountains with my 243 WSSM and as we returned the PH stopped us and said "Wish you had your 7 mag ! I see the biggest red Hartebeest I have ever seen over there. Long story/short. One 300 yard 95 grain partition went in in front of the right hip and exited the left shoulder after breaking the spine. We measured 33 inches of complete penetration on that animal. Dropped him like the proverbial cut string puppet.

MORAL
Just use a well constructed bullet that you and your rifle shoot well.

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.
the heaviest mono barnes or hammer bullet that my rifle shot good other than that a partition or regular accubond

I have been twice and taken 17 Animals using my 6.5 284 norma with 140 grain. Most shots at 400 to 680 yards with 1 shot kills on most all. You have gotten some good advice about the 156gr. I'm going back in 2021 but am taking a 28 Nosler with 180 grain for larger animals.
Those are some long shots. Were you in the eastern cape or Namibia where it's wide open?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.