Wife's 6.5 Creed for Africa

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We are making a couples trip to Africa in Sept and the accountant told us that the only way we could write off our wives, is if they hunt. My wife has never hunted anything other than gophers! I let her know the news, and she said ok! Didn't even bat an eye. Cool! Better get her a rifle! I have the action from my daughter's Weatherby Vanguard that I swapped her my 280ai for. It's a short action originally a 7-08, so decided to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I know, I know. But since we designed the 85g Hammer Hunter and knowing I can push them really fast, it made the Creed interesting.

Went out on Friday and Brian and I got 4 new rifles developed for the upcoming trip to Africa. A bit more about her rifle. 20" Bartlein 1-8" twist light Sporter, Vanguard short action, Stockey's Stock, Athlon Midas 1-6x24, with a Gunwerks 6ix suppressor. All in weighs 8.5 lbs. Started load development with Lever evolution and was able to get them up to 3800 fps! Accuracy wasn't great and es was a bit more than I wanted so went to Varget and have them running nicely at 3540 fps with single digit es. Shooting about 3/4". Good enough for a 400 ish yard hunting rig. Not going to spend the time to get it tighter.

Now today, took my wife out to shoot her new giant slayer, creedmoor! She has a lot of experience shooting archery years ago when we got married. She competed indoor and at 3D shoots for several years, until we had babies, and almost always brought home hardware. Also has always done well shooting gophers with the 22. So, I wasn't worried about her ability nearly as much as she was. We just went straight to shooting standing off tripod sticks like we will in Africa. Started at the 100y 10" gong. She went 5 for 5. So we moved to the 200y 10" gong and she busted it 10 for 10. Even with me pushing her to get set on the sticks and hurry before that animal runs!

What a fun setup. Quiet and almost no recoil. About like a 22 mag. Will let you all know how she does in Africa.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_152846212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_152846212_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 429
Get her on a Waterbuck. That's my #1 on round 2, whenever that is, not for a while. For some reason that's what's calling my name.
They are spectacular. I have two. One management bull and a 33" trophy bull last April. The forward curve in the horns and the shaggy hair make them unique. Brian also shot a great one last spring. Heavier than mine and a couple inches shorter. We got lucky.

They are spectacular. I have two. One management bull and a 33" trophy bull last April. The forward curve in the horns and the shaggy hair make them unique. Brian also shot a great one last spring. Heavier than mine and a couple inches shorter. We got lucky.
Awesome. They are beautiful. Looking forward to hearing about her experience. My wife's on the fence but very open to the idea. Give me some ammo. Sure could justify it if she was pulling triggers as well.

Way cool. For some reason I have always wanted a wart hog euro head mount, I just think they are awesome. Doubt I'll ever be able to get over there, but I'll live vicariously through others ha ha.
I never dreamed that I would ever do something like hunting Africa. A trip to Africa all in with 6 animals and get treated like a king is less expensive than a guided western elk hunt.

It's not tough hunting like you are used to. The terrain is easy, other than thorns, and the PH's have done the heavy leg work ahead of time. I didn't know what to think the first time we went, and halfway through the trip we were talking about going again. I have been more excited about each trip than I was for the previous one. There is just nothing like it. This is who we go with. They are like family now.

I never dreamed that I would ever do something like hunting Africa. A trip to Africa all in with 6 animals and get treated like a king is less expensive than a guided western elk hunt.

It's not tough hunting like you are used to. The terrain is easy, other than thorns, and the PH's have done the heavy leg work ahead of time. I didn't know what to think the first time we went, and halfway through the trip we were talking about going again. I have been more excited about each trip than I was for the previous one. There is just nothing like it. This is who we go with. They are like family now.

I'll concur that it's nothing like you have experienced and absolutely cheaper then most guided elk hunts. I was actually skeptical my first trip as I'd have preferred at the time a western US hunt but i was afforded a nice opportunityto go. It's absolutely phenomenal and a different experience. The amount of game or what you encounter is next to none. Just a different world. Big cats though start pulling out the check book. Stick to plains game most people on a budget can afford the experience.

I agree, I would want a leopard or cheetah over a lion. Well hopefully she loves it, she has a good setup for it and sounds like she can definitely plant one on em, looking forward to the return pictures!
It is so hard to do, but I will try and give a daily update on the hunt. Animals, shot distance, and terminal performance. And hopefully a bit of hunting stories.