Wife wants a 6.5 heater, help me decide

OH58DViper

So the wife approached me and stated she wants a new 6.5 long range rig as her child birth gift. YAHTZEE! I am thinking of a 26 Nos or 6.5 RSAUM. She has a few custom practice guns, so barrel life is not a concern. Here is what I'm thinking for components, trying to stay under 10 lbs.

Defiance Deviant LA Mag BF (if 26 Nos) (Stiller if RSAUM)
McMillan A3 Sporter with edge tech
Timney Calvin Elite
Bartlein #3 26" 1:8.7 Twist
Vortex AMG 6-24 EBR 7 29oz
140 bergers

I really like the 6.5 RSAUM as well but I don't like the unavailability of brass and a mono action. I can find Long Actions by Defiance and Surgeon all day long but Short Actions with mag bolt faces are much more difficult to get a hold of. I have a line on a few stillers, both the Pred and TAC30 in SA with a mag bolt face but love integral lugs and rails that the afore mentioned offer.

I will be buying all the components myself as that seems to shorten the smiths timeline, so I'm in no rush.

Those of you with experience with one or the other, or both, what are your thoughts on these two? Is 8.7 a fast enough twist rate, or is 1:8 better for 140 hybrids? Stiller vs mono actions?

I would go with the 1 in 8 twist as faster twists will (as shown by Brian Litz) improve bullet BCs and the 1 in 8 is recommended for Berger 140s (it is right there printed on the box).

As to the chambering. I found the 26 Nosler was screeming fast. I ended up with a 140 Nosler Accubond load that averaged 3,300 fps with 85.5 grains of US869. That is 3,385 foot pounds at the muzzle which is a bunch for a 6.5mm. It grouped 0.719" (4 shots) at 200 yards on my final load development target and I was ready to go hunting. However, I found it a bit touchy to reload. It was all or nothing meaning as you added powder it would go from well mannered to overpressure in a heartbeat. Gave me concerns about temp changes. I have since decided to rechamber the barrel in 6.5mmX300 WSM so the barrel is sitting here leaning against the wall in preparation for the redo. I also have a 28 Nosler which I love as it is both well mannered and fast. I'm hoping the 6.5 X 300 WSM is a little less extreme than the 26 Nosler.

I would go with the 1 in 8 twist as faster twists will (as shown by Brian Litz) improve bullet BCs and the 1 in 8 is recommended for Berger 140s (it is right there printed on the box).

As to the chambering. I found the 26 Nosler was screeming fast. I ended up with a 140 Nosler Accubond load that averaged 3,300 fps with 85.5 grains of US869. That is 3,385 foot pounds at the muzzle which is a bunch for a 6.5mm. It grouped 0.719" (4 shots) at 200 yards on my final load development target and I was ready to go hunting. However, I found it a bit touchy to reload. It was all or nothing meaning as you added powder it would go from well mannered to overpressure in a heartbeat. Gave me concerns about temp changes. I have since decided to rechamber the barrel in 6.5mmX300 WSM so the barrel is sitting here leaning against the wall in preparation for the redo. I also have a 28 Nosler which I love as it is both well mannered and fast. I'm hoping the 6.5 X 300 WSM is a little less extreme than the 26 Nosler.

How's the recoil on the 28 Nosler? I assume it's braked, I looked at the 28 as well, the thought of tossing 195's grabbed my attention. She just doesn't want more recoil than her 7lb 270 without a brake. She's a little thing and is just a tad recoil sensitive.

My 28 Nosler is braked and it takes the recoil down so it is a ***** cat to shoot and it has a 1 in 8 twist for the bigger bullets. I like the new Hornady ELD-Xs which shoot really good in my 30 cals and I will load some for the 28 Nosler when I can lay hands on the 175 grainers. All in all the 28 Nosler is probably my favorite rifle right now and I have a bunch of them to choose from.

I built my 6.5 saum on the same A3 sprt edge stock bartlien 8.7 twst. I used a Tikka T3 270 wsm as a donner rifle. With a brake it's pretty easy on recoil. Excellent accuracy.

Stick with the 6.5 SAUM and use the latest GAP designer remear. She will love it, especially now that brass is being made by Hornady.

Stick with the 6.5 SAUM and use the latest GAP designer remear. She will love it, especially now that brass is being made by Hornady.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm considering just ordering a Extreme Hunter from George. It will cost a few $100 more but the barrel will be fluted and come with a DBM. Decisions decisions......

I believe that George spaced out the 1 in 8.7 for the barrel. Everyone seems very happy with them. With the new brass I'd do the SAUM. Bruce

Hello Ohio Hunter,
Take a look at taking a short mag and changing the barrel to a 6.5 wsm. Ballistics are very close to a 26 Nosler. In my 6.5 wsm with 26.5 grs less powder I was only around 18 ft/ sec slower using 140 Berger vld hunting bullets. So far they have been great on whitetail deer. I sold my 26 Nosler.

Hello Ohio Hunter,
Take a look at taking a short mag and changing the barrel to a 6.5 wsm. Ballistics are very close to a 26 Nosler. In my 6.5 wsm with 26.5 grs less powder I was only around 18 ft/ sec slower using 140 Berger vld hunting bullets. So far they have been great on whitetail deer. I sold my 26 Nosler.

I think I'm sold on the GAP 4s as my wife said she doesn't want to use my practice customs, she wants to train with the gun she will be taking into the field. Gotta love it when a women sees the value in "training like you fight!" I fear that she would burn the barrel out of the 26 Nos, 6.5 SS, and 6.5 WSM fairly often. I think the 6.5 RSAUM will be the perfect fit for her, if the barrel life specs are true. It seems they are according to a lot of posters on the hide. She is okay with the loss in velocity.....I'm not though and may have to build my own barrel burner after hers gets here.

Thanks for all the replies!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.