Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

I started with a Winchester in 300 wby, 33 years ago. Had the barrel and action nickel plated and put a bell and Carlson stock on it. Then I got a mark V in 300 ultra light. The rifle has always been a pleasure to carry. Always loved the 300 but found it was not perfect with the ultralight barrel and the trigger is just OK. I have other rifles with Jewell, Calvin Elite and other triggers and the Weatherby is not even close.
Personally, if I am getting up to the $2000 mark my next rifles are going to be a Christianson or a Fierce.
I have killed a lot of animals with the Weatherby and it has not ever failed me. JMO
The new ones have the TriggerTech triggers.

Having said that, I tune the Weatherby triggers to shoot 2 pounds every time. Only 1 of them got to that point without a bit of massaging, but when you do it they are great triggers.

I have several. None are new or plastic. They all shoot very nicely and the ammo is expensive. For sure.

My only history with weatherby was a vanguard vgs, in 22-250, bought in 1984. It came with a 1 1/2" guarantee, it used all of that and more on occasion.

My all time #1 Weatherby is my 35 year old Lazermark in 340.
Nothing beads a .33 cal.
27" Douglass air gauged ,.850" at the muzzle octagon barrel installed by Gibbs ( one of his last jobs I think) .250"@200y with 275 Speer round nose bullets( no longer available).750 with Barnes today.
S&B 4x12x56 and a drop box mag. 20200623_192713.jpg

Been hunting with this one since 1981. It's a 7mm Mark V and ready to go back to Weatherby for a rebarrel and then dropped into a Weathermark LT stock. It definitely goes against the train of thought that Weatherby's are safe queens...

Attachments

• 59169592-D5BA-4B2F-9F37-2B5E7818AB02.jpeg
    59169592-D5BA-4B2F-9F37-2B5E7818AB02.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 308
  • 7C9DCF76-3E83-4DDC-AD1D-03743971EDF5.jpeg
    7C9DCF76-3E83-4DDC-AD1D-03743971EDF5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
I have two Mark Vs that started out as Ultralights. One was a 300 Weatherby and the other a 25-06. I wasn't pleased with the accuracy of either one so I had them rebarreled with heavier Bartleins. I also turned the 300 Wby into a 300 Win. They are both shooters now. I really like the Mark V action.

Once Triggertech starts offering the Mark V triggers I think I'm gonna install them too. The Weatherby triggers are OK but I hear lots of good things about the Triggertechs.

I have a Mk V action I am going to build off of. I chose the Mk V action because I new how strong they are. Also have a Sako in 300 Wby and a Rem in 257 Wby. Both shoot really good.

i personally have never fired one but i know there isnt ever much talk on here about them. Is it due to not a ton of aftermarket support (im assuming that never really looked) and we all like messing with rifles lol. Are they just not a well built rifle for the price? Not accurate? Just wondering.
My personal time behind a Weatherby rifle is limited to building ammo for my Brother-in-law's 30-378. I can answer about accuracy of that rifle. It was a screamer with Barnes pills and accuracy was .75MOA. I was impressed but not enough to get one of my own. I was never into screamers. A few seasons later my BIL sold it and switched to a Rem700 300RUM.

I purchased a 270 vanguard in sny stock, a butler creek stock and I like the stock . while adjusting the trigger to 45 oz my favorite for hunting . I noticed that it had only one screw to adjust and it was very easy. then I noticed the trigger had Timney on the side and I smiled.. for 350. I got a shooter and it will clover leaf at 100 meters..

Most discussions are about issues with rifles. I have 6 Weatherby Mark V rifles, had a Weatherby Vangard, no issues with any of them. I have 3 other rifles that are chambered in Weatherby cartridges. I love them all and can't find time to shoot them. Anymore I'm more likely to hunt with a Weatherby chambered rifle than any other.
The trend these days just isn't with Weatherby except for the 6.5 RPM.

Another possible factor is that the Weatherby Magnum cartridge chambers were cut with a rather long freebore.

The long jump made getting benchrest accuracy something of a challenge. Also, folks tended to go with light weight barrels to help with stalking. The whippy barrels also did not help precision.

BTW I know this from having strived for 1" groups in my L±H MK V 378 in the late '60s.. Best I could do was about 125 - 1.5" at 100 yards.

Shooting lightweight sucker from the bench was interesting!

This!

I have a Mark V Deluxe .340 Mag with the Accumark brake and a 35X Weaver scope. I have not fired it in over a year, but when I did that, it was shooting a 2" grouping at 300 yrds. Since I own over 850 acres, I have my own range. Therefore; I have to wait until after crop harvest to do my fine tuning with the groupings. This is one costly gun to shoot for the pleasure of shooting! I do my own loads from the start. I have not fired a "factory" round through it. The brass alone is $2-$3, that is if you can find it for $2. I use only Norma or Weatherby brass. I love all of my rifles, but this is my favorite. You know i did my research on the brakes when I was considering the purchase of this rifle and it was either this one or a Browning BAR .338 with the BOS brake. Never got a chance to try the BOS brake, but the Accumark is unbelievable. My .308 calibers have more of a punch (no brake) than this Mark V. I would rate the Accumark up with the best. I also have a Ruger Hawkeye .375 with whatever brake Ruger uses, and after 10 rounds, you honestly don't care to squeeze the trigger on the 11th. Don't get me wrong the Ruger is a very accurate rifle, it just kick's like a Missouri mule. I will be doing some testing late this fall with some 300gr Sierra Match King and, shame on me "factory seconds" .300gr .338 bullets. I am just curious since the factory seconds have no ballistic coefficients. If they are even close to the Match King, the cost is significantly less. Yes I know these are multiple lot numbers and every bullet will have to be "miced" prior to using.

I have a small arsenal of MK V's. They are my favorite. Bought a 416 Wby last week. They have been around for many moons, and are not the hot ticket. Ammo is expensive, brass is high dollar, and that turns a lot of people away. All of mine are excellent shooters.
I considered the .416 when I got my .340 Mag. Everyone asked me; What are you going to shoot with that thing?. My response was; anything I want to shoot. Hey everything you say is true, but I still love my Mark V Deluxe .340. Happy shooting.

I'm a huge Weatherby fan I own lots of MKV's I have had vangards and howas. I dont know why the popularity never caught on fully. Dont get me wrong I would hunt anything that walks with my 338/378. It has a brake and is a heavy rifle. I have some fancy wooded Weatherbys mostly as collectors I hunt with the composite stocked rifles most. If I have to pick my absolute favorite weathery caliber I would say 257/340/257/340/257/340 its a toss up of those two rounds.

I know one thing my dad never hunted or owned a Weatherby just because he hated the shape of the stock. That could be one thing.

Who knows...
Yeah, the "California" stock with the highly polished finish put a lot of us older guys off. A scratch on an oil-finished stock is kind of cool and easily remedied, but a scratch on varnish is, well, a scratch. Also, the "patrician" image of the wealthy owner compared to us mere mortals who shot Remingtons and Winchesters didn't help. Pretty laughable now as folks spend 10 grand on customs and 3 grand on a "so-so" scope.

Having said that, one of my friends who goes to Africa frequently shoots them exclusively, with great outcomes; .257, .270, .340.