Why i like my 260 rem so much now that there is no ammo over the 6.5 cm

The only reason the 6.5 CM is more popular is do to available factory ammo. Remington messed up when they did not market the 260 or make ammo available at a decent price. Hornady makes factory ammo for the 260 Rem now but only in the 129 grain SST and 130 grain ELD Match. I feel they will keep it this way because the 260 Rem outperforms the 6.5 CM. None the less they both good choices.

I just picked up some 150gr SMKs @713BC. for my 260... May be tight for my SA but I can modify my AICS mag by removing the inside plate and I think I will be ok with the throat. Will update later on. Some have been saying the the 6.5 CM is more versital because it can handel heaverier bullets because of cartridge design. Anyone shooting a 6.5 CM shooting 147, 150 + gr bullets??? Would like to hear their results in accuracy and velocities. The next couple of weeks I'll try the 150s. Currently I am shooting 123 SMK, 130 TMK, & 142 SMK unbelivable all three bullets with my loads shoot the same POI at 100yds and all are <1/4". So when I am at the range I can switch between weights and keep my zero on scope-only need to change elevation and wind with my Kestrel 5700.
I will put an additional post up on my access to a range. Phil Cashin from MASTER PIECE FIREARMS bought and designed these ranges on the property. we are currently making some annitional ranges. I am a shareholder to a private PRS style range with several lanes. Longest is 966yds, but currently setting up a 1,200yd lane. Property is 100 acres located in Spartsa, GA (East GA between Atlanta and Agusta). Shareholder limit is 25 persons and each shareholder is vetted by a Board of Directors. It is a very exclusive shooting/hunting property. It is something that dedicated long distance shooters dream of to have access to. We have a few open shareholder spots open before it is closed out. I can only provide additional information to serious inquries. All our current shareholders are dedicated for the improvement in Persicion Rifle Shooting with Safety our main concern. We want Professional Morale
group to stay foreever, With the camaraderie betweent everyone. this is a Class Act #10

Factory ammo for Hornady with 129gr ^ 130gr is that the manufactures are still catering to 260 barrels with 1-10 or 1-9 twist.This is wat most manufactures made the twist rartes for in the 260s. Now when odering a rifle you can ask for the twist rate, Most off the shelf are 1-9 and older ones 1-10. Now if purchasing a 6.5 CM you will gt an 1-8 twist alsmost automaticly. I don't think they mass produce anything but a 1-8 twist in 6.5CM.

Thats what im trying to figure out for my 308 rebarrel. I use aics mags so it sounds like i could do 260 or 260ai but im not certain. Might have to go 65cm instead
You can modify the AICS mags to fit heavier longer bullets.and hopefully keep a SA. I am doing that now with SMK150s. I'll post the process when done.

My Savage model 16 stainless 260 is a 1/8 twist. Have had it for a few years now. It will shoot just about any bullet I want in three shot groups into sub 1/2", consistantly. . 98% of my brass comes from unlimited supplies of 308. One pass thry my FL sizer . load & shoot. Absolutely no trimming required. Smooth feeding from magazine to chamber. Also any where from 60 to 100 fps faster than a CM depending on bullet used. . More powder room = more fps. Whats not to like.

If you are gonna rebarrel look at the 260 Terminator.
260 Terminator's shoulder is blown forward, flattened out, and the body taper is decreased. Instead of 40 degrees, it uses a 35 degree shoulder. A quick test shows a fully-formed 260 Terminator case adds three grains of H20 weight over(56.5) a standard 260 Remington. You get some more podwer, hence, more voivocty 260 case will hold approximately 53.5 grains of water and the 6.5 Creedmoor case will hold approximately 52.5 grains of water. So you get 4 grains of H2O withthe Terminator over the 6.5 Creed and can just use 260 cases to bump up. Sounds good, I may try on next build.

Anyone shooting a 6.5 CM shooting 147, 150 + gr bullets???
I have a box of Berger 153.5s. Probably too much for a 6.5 Creed, but if anyone wants to share a starting point/experience with them I'll load some. They'd be marginal according to the Berger stability calc at what I think the velocities would be.

I'm an old man haha. But I can recognize when so something is done right the first time. Remington just necked down a 308. Guys were already doing that. Hornady designed a new round from ground zero. Shorter case longer neck. 30 deg shoulder. Long bullets dont go past the neck. Hell they even used a commercial powder and printed the data on the box. It's been a home run for Hornady. All the haters are usually 260 or Swede shooters lol.
They necked down the 30 t.v. to make the 6.5 cm .I am glad they made the 6.5 cm popular it finally made the .264 calibers really popular now .I started with a 6.5 jap rifle and finally got a 260 now have 3 260s and two 264 win mag .

I have both. My 260 is my PRS gun and shoots the 142SMK at 2790/H4350 from a 22 inch Hart barrel and is on a Winchester action. My 6.5 Creedmoor shoots the 140 berger at 2980/RL26 from a 26 inch Hawk Hill barrel and is on a Surgeon action. I developed several loads for these rifles along with my 308 and 300PRC in case I couldn't get the exact bullet I wanted. At components become more and more available you can stock up again but until then it may be prudent to branch out and try other combinations for the future.

On another note...I saw a video from the president of Federal ammunition last night on youtube where he explained the shortage and why it has happened. It was pretty good and had some great insight.

They necked down the 30 t.v. to make the 6.5 cm .I am glad they made the 6.5 cm popular it finally made the .264 calibers really popular now .I started with a 6.5 jap rifle and finally got a 260 now have 3 260s and two 264 win mag .
I have a 260 Rem and a 6.5 CM. They both accurate. My 6.5 CM is just 100 -125 FPS slower than my CM. I thank that if you don't reload the CM is the way to go. If you reload the 260 is better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.