how much better is the nosler 300 RUM bass over remington

I just bought some and have been experimenting with them. I have not yet formed an opinion on the quality of the brass itself, but I have been very impressed with the fact that all the cases are with in a few tenths of a grain from eachother. Not grains, but tenths of a grain! That is important to me. Also, the flash holes have been de-burred and the necks have been reamed. This all saves time for me as well. All I have to do is turn the necks, uniform the primer pocket, prime and load.

Its the concistent weight that makes the worth the extra $$ to me.

Have you tried to check the volume of the cases?(inside)I have found this to be more important than consistent weight of cases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Re: Another question should be........

how does the Nosler brass take the pressure compared to the Remington?

meichele,
When turning the necks, are they harder than remington? softer? about the same?

Re: Another question should be........

Keith....I sent you an email about your STW's...did you get? Sorry for the hijacking.

As far as handling pressure, I have not used them enough to form an opinion. I also stay away from hot loads. If I had to guess, I would think they were comparable. That is just a guess. Harder or softer when turning. Honestly it has been quite some time scince I turned any necks on a remington case, but seems like they might have been slightly harder than the remingtons as if I tried to take too big of a bite I have to back off and bite 1/2 of the burr.

Hope that helps some.

the case volume is smaller compared to the remington brass but seems very consistant, it does take pressure well since the cases are thicker. I have been necking them up to a 338 for @ 3 months now. Sorry I dont turn the necks on the 338. I have found that i can spend the extra $ and save my prep time. It all depends on what you have the most of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

d-a

from my experience the nosler brass is not worth is. Your paying for fancey packaging and a name.
I baught some, and ended up returning it.

You can get Federal brass, its not as soft as the Remington stuff. I have to trim it way less.

shawn68,
Please tell us more about it. It sounds like you did not
even reload and shoot. Please tell us more about your decision.

I weighed the brass first and felt that the top dollar stuff should be a lot closer than it was. After that I checked length and primer pockets. Still not impressed..
Now this was 243 brass, but It still was a representaion of what Nosler puts out. Who knows, I guess even nosler can have a bad day. Still, Im going to stick with Lapua for my 243. As for my Ulta Mag, if Im going to have to do primer pockets weigh and trim the stuff with the Nosler, why not save some cash and get the Federal if your going to have to do all that prep anyway...
Sorry if Im a little bitter. I just had high hopes for Nosler's brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.