Powder? Why is there none?

CUTTER1

As the heading says, why is there no powder? I regularly shop 3 good sized gun shops that are not Box stores, the owners tell me they have thousands and thousands of dollars of powder on order from their regular wholesalers and have virtually not seen any powder in over a year!
This can't just be a hoarding issue, is someone in this government halting shipments as much of it is manufactured off shore? Friends in Europe say they have powder.
Any insight???

I have no insight, but will be interested to hear from our compadres that DO have direct knowledge. This is far worse than the Obama-hording-years. A close friend owns an indoor range. He is struggling to keep ammunition stocked for the range. When I say struggling, I mean he regularly flies to distant cities, rents a box truck, and hauls down how many ever palettes of 9, 380, and 45 that he can acquire. His regular distributors have scant quantities of handgun ammo and they hold it hostage by forcing you to buy a palette of 50BMG. If his remote sources dry up, he will go out of business.

I believe it is hoarding. First by opportunists that are making money "Flipping" ammo and reload components that these individuals have no gun to fire any of their stash in. Some others, that do reload, have a lot of components and still building their stash.
Then with growing firearm sales, people are getting what they can, in whatever they can get their hands on.
I've seen only one instance here where the powder price was jacked up almost double. I called him out, and that ad disappeared. If I was selling/trading something for this site, I would not be throwing premiums on it.
Demand has outstripped supply. There is no letting up IMO.

I believe it is hoarding. First by opportunists that are making money "Flipping" ammo and reload components that these individuals have no gun to fire any of their stash in. Some others, that do reload, have a lot of components and still building their stash.
Then with growing firearm sales, people are getting what they can, in whatever they can get their hands on.
I've seen only one instance here where the powder price was jacked up almost double. I called him out, and that ad disappeared. If I was selling/trading something for this site, I would not be throwing premiums on it.
Demand has outstripped supply. There is no letting up IMO.
I guess we should buy stock in firearm related companies. w/ the obvious exception of Remington ;)

Locally, powder is hard to nearly impossible find. Anything really: brass, powder, primers, bullets, reloading equipment. I suspect store employees & friends of the store employees get first dibs.

I've been able to get H1000, H4350, Varget, & Retumbo online in 2020. Only because I happened to be on this site when someone posts where XXXXX powder is available online. Nothing else matters when I see that post. I just get to the website as fast as I can and order it. Just buying what I need for a couple of new guns (not hoarding or reselling/scalping). Partner up with someone and let them know your wish list items and look out for each other. I haven't been able to buy any primers this year but I've been able to trade powder for them locally. I've been able to help a couple people out along the way and that feels good.

I've tried to sign up for email notices on all the major websites but I never seem to get them.

Locally, powder is hard to nearly impossible find. Anything really: brass, powder, primers, bullets, reloading equipment. I suspect store employees & friends of the store employees get first dibs.

I've been able to get H1000, H4350, Varget, & Retumbo online in 2020. Only because I happened to be on this site when someone posts where XXXXX powder is available online. Nothing else matters when I see that post. I just get to the website as fast as I can and order it. Just buying what I need for a couple of new guns (not hoarding or reselling/scalping). Partner up with someone and let them know your wish list items and look out for each other. I haven't been able to buy any primers this year but I've been able to trade powder for them locally. I've been able to help a couple people out along the way and that feels good.

I've tried to sign up for email notices on all the major websites but I never seem to get them.
Boy-see, same here. Not hording, but I need 6.5 creedmore stock and powder... which I've been unable to source since I purchased my Axis 2, four months ago :-(. Well, I actually got 50 pieces of hornady brass. That's all.

It's nothing more than the basic market dynamic of supply and demand.

We had another record breaking year of new firearm purchase by new first time owners. Those people want ammo for those new firearms.
Component manufacturers are prioritizing those stocks to the manufacturing of new ammo over reloading demand. They have a several year backlog towards that priority,

Nothing more than that really.

So the question becomes would you increase your production capability and add new staff to meet that increased demand knowing you might have to lay-off people down the line because of a democratic controlled government.

I was able to get an 8lb of Varget that will ship to me this week so its not impossible , but you do need some luck for certain coveted powders.

Last edited:
Theres no powder primers and shells, or ammunition perhaps in large part due to same reason there was no toilet paper, wipes and paper towels in April:
Hoarders
Items that are out there now are being sold at high prices by those that have bought thousands earlier

here in GA pricing for primers are now at $300- $350 a thousand I saw on a couple hunting sites

Last edited:

Yep, then I watche Jason Vandebrink whatever say in his second video that the last three years was an excessive stock on primers my butt around where i live. I regularly shoot matches and all last year i bought primers when i saw them basically, my golden choice is 205m. I barely have enough for a slim covid season of shooting, if Covid was non existent than I'd be out by May?

Last edited: