Is there a universal powder.

Seems to me, to be both efficient and well protected, one would be required not just staying well stocked on powder but also on brass, bullets, and primers. Personally, I would not want to maintain a large stockpile of 10 or more different bullets. I would choose the few bullets I always want on hand, and then maintain stockpiles of the corresponding supplies. I would steer clear of deprecated and wildcat rounds.

I already know the answer to that question, No, but I am looking for a chart to help me find as few powders as I need to cover the range of cartridges I can reload from 9mm pistol to Lapua 338 rifle. I can find a single powder that lists various charges for several calibers (the powder co has that chart). I can find a chart that lists all the powders that can be used for a particuler cartridge (Modern Reloading by Lee has that). But what I want is a chart that lists all powders down the left column and across the page, check marks for cartridges that can be loaded by that powder.
Yes, I am aware that experimentation could expand that chart, it would not cover ALL posibilities.
Why do I want it, because if TSHTF I want to be able to load ALL mycartridges from as few different powders as possible. I dont want to carry a pound or two for each gun I have. Then I can go buy 3 or 4 cans of powder and know all my reloading is covered.
The data is out there, has anyone compiled it into a single chart? If not then I can see a project to keep me bussy during this pandemic. But I dont want to waste my time if it has already been done.
In a TSHTF situation, you probably wont be able to find the powder you want once you run out. Just buy a couple pounds of the best for each gun and forget having 10 lbs of one specific powder. Imho.

as a side note I also have too many powders on hand, 5 pistol powders, 5 or 6 223/6.5 grendel AR types and 5 bolt gun 270 thru 338 win mag types. That is at least 16 types off the top of my head. I live about 45 minutes drive from Midsouth Shooters Supply so in January I went through my shelves and started to really stock up on powders, primers, brass and bullets. 8 months later I have enough stock to shoot and reload for a good while. At 65 I don't have to worry about running out of fun stuff to do.

If TSHTF scenario takes place you have enough. If you need more than say 2000 rounds, you have had such a big or so many fights, you aina gonna make it anyway or you own the town. At that point a guy with armor and a real gun has taken your crap and you were too dead to care or you have his. Good exercise though. Water, bullets, and band-aids.

That's an easy list for 4 powders, but less would not be ideal:

1) HS-6 or other good 9mm-38 powder
2) Vihtavuori N110 or H-110, or other for magnum pistols
3) Varget for 308ish
4) IMR or H4350 or other, for 257roberts to 338WM

Hodgden Hybrid 100V and CFE223 are a couple of lesser known that are very versatile and can produce good accuracy in my experience.

I already know the answer to that question, No, but I am looking for a chart to help me find as few powders as I need to cover the range of cartridges I can reload from 9mm pistol to Lapua 338 rifle. I can find a single powder that lists various charges for several calibers (the powder co has that chart). I can find a chart that lists all the powders that can be used for a particuler cartridge (Modern Reloading by Lee has that). But what I want is a chart that lists all powders down the left column and across the page, check marks for cartridges that can be loaded by that powder.
Yes, I am aware that experimentation could expand that chart, it would not cover ALL posibilities.
Why do I want it, because if TSHTF I want to be able to load ALL mycartridges from as few different powders as possible. I dont want to carry a pound or two for each gun I have. Then I can go buy 3 or 4 cans of powder and know all my reloading is covered.
The data is out there, has anyone compiled it into a single chart? If not then I can see a project to keep me bussy during this pandemic. But I dont want to waste my time if it has already been done.
Go to loaddata .com....it has roughly 400,000 loads using most every bullet known to mankind and every manufacturers reloading manuals on-line. It's about the best spent 40.00/year I know of and use.

I have CFE, 8208xbl, H4350, for my rifles and pistol win w231 and CFE pistol, those would be my main stay powders Varget as well when found . I like reloader 17,19, 26 but can live with out them. Also like H4831 SC

Last edited:
Another vote for win 231 for pistols, I use 846 ball powder for 223 and 308 cause that's what the military uses. And I use aa4350 for my 270 win.

In today's market I would be using different powders than I suggested just because of availability. Sometimes h4350 is hard to find. And right now h1000 and Retumbo seem like it never existed. An up to date burn rate chart will tell you all the powders that are similar to what you want. Just make sure you start new loads in a safe manner.
Shep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200829-132255.png
    Screenshot_20200829-132255.png
    838.3 KB · Views: 132
IMR 4166 is similar to varget in burn speed. I have good shooting loads in my 223, 243, 308 and 300wsm using this powder.

231 or red dot for most pistols, varget small to midsize rifles, h1000 or retumbo for magnums. There I saved you work....but good luck finding it now. You could add 4227 for bigger pistols and straight wall rifle cases.

What specific calibers both pistol and rifle are you loading for ?
.380 auto, 9mm Lugar, 6.5 Carcano, 45 ACP, 300 Blackout, 30-30, Beowulf, Lapua 338 Magnum, .223/556, 7.62x39, 45-70, 12 GA in no particular order......I would have to go look in the gunsafe to see if there are others. I am sure there are. Oh yes, my trusty carry 40 S&W. Almost forgot that because it was on my hip.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.