Is there a universal powder.

Yes,"good luck finding it now" summs up the reason I was looking for this information. By having a chart of powder vs caliber one could find was was available and then scann the list to see of it fit their reloading needs and how many of their reloading needs were covered by that one powder.
I just found some 4350 and its on its way to me. But I need this information so I can go into a store and ask, "What do you have" and fill my basket so I dont have to order it with the $20 hazmat charge.

While this is an interesting exercise, it's also this kind of mentality that probably caused the powder shortage.
Buy what you need and leave some for others.
I can't remember the last time I saw varget in stock. Now I guess I need to find an alternative.

I beg your pardon!,
No, its not "this kind of mentality." If it was, I would have been part of the problem, buying something for every gun about a year ago. No, this mentality is what happens when you need data to find a alternative when what you want is already GONE. And a way to cut down on your purchases, and NOT stockplie a lot of different powders when a few will do the job.

25wsm
Here is a list...mostly common rounds.. maybe this will help. People can add their choices for each
Rifles:
223/556
22-250
7 mm RM
30.06 (H4831)
300 Win Mag
300 WBY (IMR4350, IMR7828, RL22)
338 Win Mag
338 Lapua (H1000, RL33, Retumbo)
375 H&H

Pistol
5.7x28
9 mm Luger (Unique)
357 Sig
38 Special/357 Mag (2400)
40 S&W
44 Mag (Unique, 2400)
45 ACP
Also N-570 for the 338 Lapua

I'm not suggesting that you have others do you work but this site is a wealth of info and if you said I have a 243 a 260 a 308 a 2506 a 270 a 3006 a 300wsm most would say you could cover them all with a 4350 burn rate. So rl16 and rl17 would do it also. I just know this from yrs of reloading. Most guys on this site can do the same. Name cartridge and they will tell you straight up what powder goes best.
I have about a dozen reloading manuals and if you had a computer program that could use all that data it would be cool. Gonna be a big project.
Shep
You could use 4831 also as I do in all the cal Mentioned

Unique for pistols
H322 for a ton of smaller rifle rounds
H4350 or similar for most medium rifles
H1000 for big stuff.

You COULD make Re22/23, or Re26, work in place of the last two, in a pinch.

I stock large quantities of Unique (all pistols), H322 (.223, 20 Practical, 6X45, 358 wildcat) and Re22/23 (243AI, 300WM). With a few more choices I'd throw in the versatile H/IMR4198 to cover more rifle rounds, and a magnum pistol powder like AA2400 or H110.

H4895 is pretty danged versatile. From 223 to 375... maybe not the best all around for everything but it'd safely do it all with reasonable speeds.

ill add Unique as a 2nd powder that'll work well with pistol cartridges. Pretty much anything will get done with those two.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon!,
No, its not "this kind of mentality." If it was, I would have been part of the problem, buying something for every gun about a year ago. No, this mentality is what happens when you need data to find a alternative when what you want is already GONE. And a way to cut down on your purchases, and NOT stockplie a lot of different powders when a few will do the job.
Sorry, if I offended you. My comment wasn't necessarily directed at just you. I'm just airing my grievances I guess. I'm bit frustrated with the shortages. While it might unfounded I do blame the "extreme preppers" for the shortages. In general their motto is WTSHTF. I do respect self sufficiency and I take some measure to be so as well, without being extreme or paranoid.
I have a friend who's been sitting on probably 100 lbs of varget for a while now, he rarely shoots or loads. Just sitting on it just in case. Do you think he'll sell me an 8 lb jug? Nope. Stingy!

The three powders that have been mentioned that I use is; varget, H4350, and H4831. I only load for rifle and I don't load for any magnums. So those 3 do an exception job for everything I load for.

Sorry, if I offended you. My comment wasn't necessarily directed at just you. I'm just airing my grievances I guess. I'm bit frustrated with the shortages. While it might unfounded I do blame the "extreme preppers" for the shortages. In general their motto is WTSHTF. I do respect self sufficiency and I take some measure to be so as well, without being extreme or paranoid.
I have a friend who's been sitting on probably 100 lbs of varget for a while now, he rarely shoots or loads. Just sitting on it just in case. Do you think he'll sell me an 8 lb jug? Nope. Stingy!

The three powders that have been mentioned that I use is; varget, H4350, and H4831. I only load for rifle and I don't load for any magnums. So those 3 do an exception job for everything I load for.
Some friend. You know that he will abandon you WTSHTF.

Maybe not "at just you" but if at me at all, I am not a prepper, unless you think carrying a spare tire and keeping my tank half full during hurricane season is somehow extreme. But the phrase wtshtf is something to be reckoned with. Not because its likely but because its possible. Harvey hit us dead center at CAT4 strength. I have six months food and water left over from the early Cold War. I keep it because its still good for hurricane use. I have managed to adjust my health to get rid of ALL prescription drugs at the age of 84 because after Harvey it was over a month before prescription drugs were again available. The local hospital was flattened. And my Dr was running a clinic on the sidewalk. So I want enough powder to protect myself from looters....yes there were looters after Harvey. None were shot but some were scared off by shots in their direction.

After Harvey, i was out of town the night it hit, I had a very elite team inspect my house for me and report back that it was undamaged. I am an FFL so the ATF came out the following morning to make sure my house was secure. Cool to have someone like that give you a free update on things! And for free!!!

Last edited:
Ok I have found that H414 covers a lot of rifle loads, is small grains and meters well.

HS6 for a lot of pistol loads.

It is nothing fancy but goes boom just fine.

I'd go h-4831sc for rifle. It would be terrible in a 223, but could get a bullet out of the barrel and still do damage. Also not ideal, but it can be loaded in a 338 lapua and get a bullet out of the barrel and still do damage. Both of these can be done safely with the right bullets, but performance is not going to be great.
The second would be cfe pistol. It's not going to be as drastic as the 4831 scenario as far as performance goes, but you can load safe loads from .380 to 44 mag.
So in theory, if your looking for the extreme end of things. With these two powders you can load functional, safe rounds for dang near anything, but you'll obviously loose a lot of performance in some cartridges. ( the 4831sc in an ar platform .223 would probably cause some function problems)

25wsm
Here is the list of most common rounds.. maybe this will help. People can add their choices for each
Rifles:
223/556 Hodgdon 380, CFE 223
22-250 Hodgdon 380
270 RL19 IMR 4064, 4831, 4350, SSC 7828
7 mm RM
30.06 (H4831)
300 Win Mag
300 WBY (IMR4350, IMR7828, RL22)
338 Win Mag
338 Lapua (H1000, RL33, Retumbo)
375 H&H

Pistol
5.7x28
9 mm Luger (Unique) CFE Pistol
357 Sig
38 Special/357 Mag (2400)
40 S&W
44 Mag (Unique, 2400)
45 ACP Tite ad

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.