Powder? Why is there none?

If you don't check the net for powder or whatever. You are going to be out for a long time. Driving back and forth for the stores is generally a waste of time for now. At $5 a gallon of gas it doesn't take long to pay for hazmat fees, and shipping costs.

It's not just shooting supplies,everything is going up fast!
Our electricity bill went up a bunch,gas for our vehicles is up,natural gas is up.The wife went to the store to buy grocery's and said eggs are over 5.00 for an 18 pack of eggs.I hear meat will be going up next.
I think we are in the middle of something big!

I kind to have to laugh. Prices have been going up for several months. Thanks to Biden and his clean energy.
This country had a chance to straigthen things out here this last election, but failed too. They like getting shot up and kids being killed in the streets, is how I see it.
It looks to me, that people like blue while the streets run red with blood.
You and I live in Montana, and so far we have stayed red in our elections. At the same time we need to watch who's being placed into our courts, and other offices here in Montana. We have one more to go in a couple of years.
Most of this is cause by Biden, not all, but most of it.
NOTHING IS FREE EITHER!

As the heading says, why is there no powder? I regularly shop 3 good sized gun shops that are not Box stores, the owners tell me they have thousands and thousands of dollars of powder on order from their regular wholesalers and have virtually not seen any powder in over a year!
This can't just be a hoarding issue, is someone in this government halting shipments as much of it is manufactured off shore? Friends in Europe say they have powder.
Any insight???
I have picked up Large Rifle 3000 and Small Rifle primers 1000, IMR 4350 2 lbs, H1000 10 lbs or so, H4831SC 6lbs, RL17 2 lbs, lapua brass for 6.5 PRC and needmore, and Nosler 7mm RM brass. Just gotta gotta look hard on a bunch a bunch of different sites although there is a honey hole I stumbled into. No scalpers prices either. When available buy it. Like that H1000 I use that in 3 different rifles and you go thru a pound-per hundred rounds there ain't no hoarding going on here. This was all in the last 3 months.

Last edited:
As said above demand is and will be through the roof for a long time. Semi local small LGS that gets powder and primers in very regular and sells them for a good price. Lots of powder on the shelf for $27-33 a pound I got lucky and showed up when she got a powder/primer delivery in. Every pound of powder and primers was already reserved for her list. What was not sold as soon as the box was opened and I grabbed 8# H4350/$320 and 4K CCI550/$70.

I scan the net every day. There is powders out there. Not much in the way of Primers. What out there on the net for Larger Rifle Primers are higher than hell. So they can sit on them.
I see brass kind of coming back on the shelves on the net, but that about it.
To me it looks like the manufactures of ammo must be getting the primers, instead of the reloaders. At the same time I am not going to pay thru the nose for those items either.
So I'll just wait and watch.

Boy-see, same here. Not hording, but I need 6.5 creedmore stock and powder... which I've been unable to source since I purchased my Axis 2, four months ago :-(. Well, I actually got 50 pieces of hornady brass. That's all.
Could find 6.5 brass so bought 100 rounds of 308 Win brass trimmed a few thousands off the sized it down to 6.5, works great.

Could find 6.5 brass so bought 100 rounds of 308 Win brass trimmed a few thousands off the sized it down to 6.5, works great.
There you go! I have over the years resized different case to chamber into other rifles. Either because the type of case I wanted or were not available or the case isn't built. There has been a lot talk on case length to chamber length. It would be better to determine the length of your chamber an cut the case just short of the needed length. That length is at the transition from end of end to where the bullet is set in the chamber. you can get Sinclair Bump Gage insert for your chamber to determine that length. It's best to be within a .001's or 2 of that length.
The other is you are fireforming your cases at that time. You'll have in your case size at that time. You maybe well aware of that.

In Idaho here one of the local stores had 600.00 dollars on a box of 1000 BR2's. I about fell over seeing that.
Last year I heard of a $1.00 per primers. Why are the primer building company are so slow to build primers? They have BR-2"s @ $165 per 1000 at Brownell, which is way out of line for sure. They don't seem to be selling either.

i find it odd that there is less people at the range than 10 years ago when supply was plentiful ... with this estimate 5 million new owners you might think there would be standing room only ???

i find it odd that there is less people at the range than 10 years ago when supply was plentiful ... with this estimate 5 million new owners you might think there would be standing room only ???
A lot of new shooters are not "shooters". They purchased for personal protection only and what ammo the have they are storing it away.