Why i like my 260 rem so much now that there is no ammo over the 6.5 cm

Same here. I tried peterson and adg but for my compatition rifle lapua shoots the best and last 12 shots or so. I run 147eldms over 2900 with rl26. Great combo for 1000 yard BR.
Shep

This is a Creed throated long. It's in a 17.5 pound single shot. Rl26 works in the 260 also. I get the 147s to 2850 with h4831. My barrel is 28 inches.
Shep

I'm right at max at 2850 with a 147 and h4350 from a 28 inch barrel. Most people can't get over 2900 till they use rl26 myself included. You must have one super fast barrel.
Shep

260 Rem is a Great Cartridge. Never got on the 6.5CM train. Thank God. Hornady did pull of a masterful 6.5 CM campaign. Sold oodles of them and now everyone wants bulk ammo. Certainly helps to roll your own as I do. Currently run through a 22" LR308 chassis with a light weight BHW barrel. Getting a Black Hole Weaponry M40 Profile 26" Barrel to put on one of my Rem 700 LA's. Dam I ordered it the first week of May and still not in production yet. Probably not till late winter or early spring I would suspect. I would go AI but I am thinking of stretching the throat on the Bolt gun so I will be loading 3.00" or more Coals on the longer new bullets. Hence a long action. 260 Rem all day!!!!

Everything is hard to find right now. And I still see more 6.5 Creedmoor ammo on the shelves than .260 Remington. Nothing wrong with either cartridge, but I don't see 260 for sale at big box stores like I see .243, .308, and 6.5 Creedmoor for sale. So I don't agree with 6.5 Creedmoor being hard to get. There's equal amounts of manufacturers making brass for Creedmoor as 260 and a whole lot more making loaded ammo for the Creedmoor.
Went to Bass pro Nashville on the way to a gun hunt in Kentucky in Nov, and the ammo shelves were just about empty. A few oddball stuff. No 6.5 CMb, bu a whole stack of 260 Rem, 130 gn sig. I bought a box because I have a 260 and I'm curious to see how it shoots.

I have the 260 and my cousin has the Creed. I reload for both and can cover 3 shots with a dime at 100 yards. I've had the 260 for 15 years and she just got the Creed. Inside of 500 yards it's a coin flip and the exercise of personal preference. A good gun is a good gun if well fed. Have fun shooting'. Gibbs

Well, regardless of why the 6.5 creedmmor is more popular be it marketing hype,entry timing into the market( during a huge increase in interest in long range shooting) or maybe it's just a really good accurate round for whitetail hunting. Or all of the above to some extent. What you cant argue is that it is more popular than the 260 ever was or will be.

6.5 Creedmoor brass has always been as readily available as 5.56 brass, even today! So how would that make the 260 better/worse than 6.5 Creedmoor? When I was looking at the 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor, the decision came down to to factory twist/bullet weight, in favor of the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Now, I'v my own stockpile of components from the last powder shortage, because I have 2 other calibers on the Creedmoor case. Stock up on components, before the storm.

I chose the 260 rem over the 6.5 years ago because I already had the 308 win and 243 win .I thought a 260 would be better than both of them in many ways and it is .I talked to a young military guy yesturday who had a very nice 6.5 cm new rifle but he couldn't find any ammo and didn't reload .I told him get that rifle rechambered and he would always have plenty of brass .I told him I would help him load some 6.5 cm if he could get the brass .I had about 100 pcs of 6.5 cm so I will load them up for him .I knew when they came out with the 6.5 cm thst brass and ammo would be tough to get .I am the same way with my 264 win mag .I have made all the brass from it from 7 mm rem mag brass .I just started making 338 win mag brass from 7 mm rem mag brass also .It really helps loading for easy to find cases these days .I even do the same with my 338-378 weatherby I make it from 378 and 416 weatherby .There is no telling what is in the future for reloading but these hard to find calibers will disapear quick !good shoot ing and merry Christmas to all the long range shooters !
Yes sir I agree. I bought my 260 Rem in 1997 when it first came out. My next build will be a 7-300 Win Mag. ( 300 WM brass is everywhere and easy to find ). It duplicates the 28 Nosler at 1/3 the price.

Well, regardless of why the 6.5 creedmmor is more popular be it marketing hype,entry timing into the market( during a huge increase in interest in long range shooting) or maybe it's just a really good accurate round for whitetail hunting. Or all of the above to some extent. What you cant argue is that it is more popular than the 260 ever was or will be.
The only reason the 6.5 CM is more popular is do to available factory ammo. Remington messed up when they did not market the 260 or make ammo available at a decent price. Hornady makes factory ammo for the 260 Rem now but only in the 129 grain SST and 130 grain ELD Match. I feel they will keep it this was because the 260 Rem outperforms the 6.5 CM. None the less they both good choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.