Why Doesn't Berger make a Bonded Bullet??

I know I'm guilty of also just lumping all bullets together by manufacture and construction when talking BUT there are bullet in many lines that I think are epic or that I really want to play with because caliber and weight does matter, I'm not a huge fan of the 300 gr Berger in the 338, seen a good number of animals from antelope to elk wacked from a few yards to 1000+ and while all were dead and bullet performance was certainly OK it does not blow my skirt up and I pretty much hunt with the 250 grain which I absalutely dig.
In the 7mms I've struggled to find a Berger I like while the 177 Hammer has really been a performer IMO. Im looking forward to the 175 Berger though cause I have seen some good stuff so far.
I HATE the 143 ELDX, really like the 145 in the 270 cal though.
I really like the 110 TTSX in a 270 WSM loathe the 30 cals I've shot but kinda like the 338's.
All that to say in most bullet lines if you shoot enough you'll find changing weights or cals will change wound channels many times enough that you'll have one you don't quite like and another that is right in the sweet spot.

I like the sweet spot theory.

I've often wondered if the .308 215 hybrid that penciled on me was pure bad luck that won't repeat, or if the 300 win mag I was shooting was not starting them quite fast enough (~2850 fps, 10 twist) to get the fabled performance that many have had.

I like the sweet spot theory.

I've often wondered if the .308 215 hybrid that penciled on me was pure bad luck that won't repeat, or if the 300 win mag I was shooting was not starting them quite fast enough (~2850 fps, 10 twist) to get the fabled performance that many have had.
I would say bad luck, I shoot them in my 308 and they've been a wrecking ball, that's starting much slower.

It's my favorite when comments like this roll in from a troll. So productive and informative for the LRH community.

I don't know Tlr from Adam, and I do see that he is a new member here with 34 posts, but to call him a "Troll" is pretty messed up. He might be new here but maybe he has been shooting/hunting his whole life, so let's consider that.

Is that how we welcome new members here?

He made a comment and gave his OPINION regarding shooting game between 800-1500 yards....that's his opinion and we're all entitled to ours...right?

Insulting someone for giving an opinion makes us sound like a bunch of Democrats/Liberals ;)

I don't know Tlr from Adam, and I do see that he is a new member here with 34 posts, but to call him a "Troll" is pretty messed up. He might be new here but maybe he has been shooting/hunting his whole life, so let's consider that.

He made a comment and gave his OPINION regarding shooting game between 800-1500 yards....that's his opinion and we're all entitled to ours...right?

Insulting someone for giving an opinion makes us sound like a bunch of Democrats/Liberals ;)
While I see what you are saying, I completely understand the other point of view too. Why come to "longrangehunting.com" and start saying things AGAINST LRH? See what I'm saying?

While I see what you are saying, I completely understand the other point of view too. Why come to "longrangehunting.com" and start saying things AGAINST LRH? See what I'm saying?
I think what the fella was trying to say is, there is a point where LRH becomes about shooting and not so much hunting. Who is to say how far that is ? What is long range hunting ? And who gets to decide how far you have to stretch the shot out to be long range. In my mind , it's a constantly moving number and depends on the shooters ability, weather conditions, and the size of the quarry.
The new member simply stated his distance that it gets more about shooting than hunting. It's a different number for everyone for a lot of different reasons.

I think what the fella was trying to say is, there is a point where LRH becomes about shooting and not so much hunting. Who is to say how far that is ? What is long range hunting ? And who gets to decide how far you have to stretch the shot out to be long range. In my mind , it's a constantly moving number and depends on the shooters ability, weather conditions, and the size of the quarry.
The new member simply stated his distance that it gets more about shooting than hunting. It's a different number for everyone for a lot of different reasons.
Yeah, "Long Distance" for me is 400-600. I don't shoot at game beyond 400, at least not yet.

bigngreen

Any experience with the 168 gr Classic Hunter in Win?

Thanks
Steve

I don't really have any with that particular bullet, to me that would be a weight I would consider for a 308 but not a 300 Win unless loaded lower to mitigate jacket stress, the lightest I've shot is the 185 and it was fine but I didn't push it, I was not as pleased with the 190 and 210 but they were OK, the 215 and 230 are my favorites!!

Your entitled to all kinds of opinions but that give you no right beyond that, we don't have the right to troll which is exactly what he's been working on, we don't have the right to talk ethics, religion or general politics which you managed to have to bring in.

It's a lack of respecting Len and his forum, this is long range hunting and as some pointed out that maybe only a few hundy but there are some that's a mile, the close range guy should not detract from a longer range guys hunt just as a guy who has the capability beyond others should not put down a guy who is at his level. I don't go on a regular hunting forum and troll, why do they seem to need to troll here, there is zero intent to engage the forum beyond opinion splaying!!

I completely 100% disagree with you.

Was this thread about shooting animals at specific distances? No.

Was this thread about hunting tactics? No.

This thread is about bullet construction and terminal performance. There was some very good discussion about the varying experiences we have all had. Lots of great knowledge sharing and debating. Once a person comes in and totally diverts the main topic of discussion, throw out condescending comments, etc, I believe that's the exact definition of a troll.

And it's unfortunate that people can't get past all of this bull$#!% and just try to do their best to be meaningful contributors. Too much of this is what turned me away from LRH for a while and here it goes again in really the first discussion I've been a part of in a long while.

I believe that we all may have "drifted" off topic occasionally! I salute those that have not! I truly wish I were perfect! Of course, I've have been told that I was a "perfect@$$"! memtb

I completely 100% disagree with you.

Was this thread about shooting animals at specific distances? No.

Was this thread about hunting tactics? No.

This thread is about bullet construction and terminal performance. There was some very good discussion about the varying experiences we have all had. Lots of great knowledge sharing and debating. Once a person comes in and totally diverts the main topic of discussion, throw out condescending comments, etc, I believe that's the exact definition of a troll.

And it's unfortunate that people can't get past all of this bull$#!% and just try to do their best to be meaningful contributors. Too much of this is what turned me away from LRH for a while and here it goes again in really the first discussion I've been a part of in a long while.

Let's face it, we go off topic all the time here so I don't understand why you got your panties in a knot with this guy. The guy didn't seem to have any malicious intent either. He stated his opinion and that was that...what's the big deal? From your last paragraph you seem to be pretty worked up over this...take it easy brother it's an internet forum;)

PS: I started this thread and his diversion doesn't bother me so why does it bother you? LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts