Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

At this point I would like to point out there is a NEW member with a name and location similar to mine, among other things. I am in no way acquainted with him or his posts.

Thanks!

Broz with a "Z"
Ya Broz , Just glanced at thread and first thought,doesnt sound like you, then looked closer.Kinda like identity theft:D what a bunch of bull.

To original OP there are many on this forum happy with and used 338 LA including the real Broz shot one for years.LTLR on hear was a fan of super mags and had alot of smith and hunting experiance,also used Weathebys alot,dont know where he went.Anyway good luck with what you choose and can always change

Just finished reading this whole thread. There is no such thing as over gunned. Terminal ballistics is a characteristic of the bullet used, not so much the caliber used. Shot placement is always key. Sometimes things go wrong, that is when the bigger calibers way out perform the smaller calibers. There is no replacement for displacement. I personally love the over bore calibers. I just spent the last year working on a very hot 6.5. I shot several animals last fall with it. On elk at 550 yrds it did its job. But confirmed for me that the bigger cals are better at killing. I think bullet choice is ultimately the most important, then caliber. Bigger cal with the right bullet is the best choice.

Steve

Just finished reading this whole thread. There is no such thing as over gunned. Terminal ballistics is a characteristic of the bullet used, not so much the caliber used. Shot placement is always key. Sometimes things go wrong, that is when the bigger calibers way out perform the smaller calibers. There is no replacement for displacement. I personally love the over bore calibers. I just spent the last year working on a very hot 6.5. I shot several animals last fall with it. On elk at 550 yrds it did its job. But confirmed for me that the bigger cals are better at killing. I think bullet choice is ultimately the most important, then caliber. Bigger cal with the right bullet is the best choice.

Steve

Spot on Steve, I agree with your entire post. Bullet choice, and knowing how to use that choice to your best advantage is very important.

Jeff

Is the 338 Lapua (or any of the big 338's) a fad? Time will tell. But let me lend some perspective as an 'old guy'. I first started reloading as a young man for my pistols (circa 1982). Within a year, I had gravitated to reloading for my rifle: a Ruger in 25-06. Fast little number. The rifle came with a BDC knob, so I got interested in the BC of various bullets.

After studying my Speer reloading manual, it became apparent to me that higher BC's meant less drop and more room for error when dialing up for 300-400 yd. shots. More studying of those Speer tables revealed that the larger the caliber, the heavier the bullet; and given the same design, the higher the subsequent BC. After looking at all the calibers listed in that early Speer manual, the undisputed king for long range shots was the 340 Weatherby. Nothing else could come close to touching it ballistically with 225-250 gr. bullets. I dreamed of owning one some day.

Fast forward 25 years and the 340 Weatherby began to have plenty of competition. All the big 338's were very close to each other, but the reason for owning one was the same as it was in the early 80's: more margin for error. However, this time the margin had more to do with reading the wind at 800 to 1,600 yds (thanks to laser rangefinders) than drop from gravity.

Fast forward a few more years, and you now have a 230 gr. Berger to go along with your 300 RUM that will ballistically keep pace with the big 338's out to 1000+ yds (except for foot/pounds of energy). The reason for shooting this combo is the same as the big 338's: better margin for error.

I am not yet an expert in the exact reading of wind downrange, hence the bias towards the big 338's. I currently own a 338 Lapua AI and just received my 300 RUM custom build. Lot's of love for both.

Which of the 338's will last the test of time - we will have to wait and see. But the reason for owning one today is the same as it was for a younger man back in the early 1980's. More forgiveness....which is something we all need. :)

is the 338 lapua (or any of the big 338's) a fad? Time will tell. But let me lend some perspective as an 'old guy'. I first started reloading as a young man for my pistols (circa 1982). Within a year, i had gravitated to reloading for my rifle: A ruger in 25-06. Fast little number. The rifle came with a bdc knob, so i got interested in the bc of various bullets.

After studying my speer reloading manual, it became apparent to me that higher bc's meant less drop and more room for error when dialing up for 300-400 yd. Shots. More studying of those speer tables revealed that the larger the caliber, the heavier the bullet; and given the same design, the higher the subsequent bc. After looking at all the calibers listed in that early speer manual, the undisputed king for long range shots was the 340 weatherby. Nothing else could come close to touching it ballistically with 225-250 gr. Bullets. I dreamed of owning one some day.

Fast forward 25 years and the 340 weatherby began to have plenty of competition. All the big 338's were very close to each other, but the reason for owning one was the same as it was in the early 80's: More margin for error. However, this time the margin had more to do with reading the wind at 800 to 1,600 yds (thanks to laser rangefinders) than drop from gravity.

Fast forward a few more years, and you now have a 230 gr. Berger to go along with your 300 rum that will ballistically keep pace with the big 338's out to 1000+ yds (except for foot/pounds of energy). The reason for shooting this combo is the same as the big 338's: Better margin for error.

I am not yet an expert in the exact reading of wind downrange, hence the bias towards the big 338's. I currently own a 338 lapua ai and just received my 300 rum custom build. Lot's of love for both.

Which of the 338's will last the test of time - we will have to wait and see. But the reason for owning one today is the same as it was for a younger man back in the early 1980's. More forgiveness....which is something we all need. :)

well said!

Is the 338 Lapua (or any of the big 338's) a fad? Time will tell. But let me lend some perspective as an 'old guy'. I first started reloading as a young man for my pistols (circa 1982). Within a year, I had gravitated to reloading for my rifle: a Ruger in 25-06. Fast little number. The rifle came with a BDC knob, so I got interested in the BC of various bullets.

After studying my Speer reloading manual, it became apparent to me that higher BC's meant less drop and more room for error when dialing up for 300-400 yd. shots. More studying of those Speer tables revealed that the larger the caliber, the heavier the bullet; and given the same design, the higher the subsequent BC. After looking at all the calibers listed in that early Speer manual, the undisputed king for long range shots was the 340 Weatherby. Nothing else could come close to touching it ballistically with 225-250 gr. bullets. I dreamed of owning one some day.

Fast forward 25 years and the 340 Weatherby began to have plenty of competition. All the big 338's were very close to each other, but the reason for owning one was the same as it was in the early 80's: more margin for error. However, this time the margin had more to do with reading the wind at 800 to 1,600 yds (thanks to laser rangefinders) than drop from gravity.

Fast forward a few more years, and you now have a 230 gr. Berger to go along with your 300 RUM that will ballistically keep pace with the big 338's out to 1000+ yds (except for foot/pounds of energy). The reason for shooting this combo is the same as the big 338's: better margin for error.

I am not yet an expert in the exact reading of wind downrange, hence the bias towards the big 338's. I currently own a 338 Lapua AI and just received my 300 RUM custom build. Lot's of love for both.

Ditto and the 340 wby is basically my same age and im 50 +,so it must be working. I now have two custom 338NM to keep it company with many success hunts for each, two kills with my rig gun this year but short range.Ive shot 338 for 30 yrs, ya im a fan.

alright. finally back home to the States. and picked up the Savage FCP HS 338 Lapua. today, the scope finally went on....SWFA 5-20. love the set up. this weekend will be running thru some Sellier & Bellot 250gr match ammo to get on target. I am very excited to get it out.
did a lot of thinking before this purchase, and thanks everyone for the help.

for my son, I picked up the same rifle but in 300 win mag. SWFA 3-15 scope.

we are in for a nice time shooting.

I can't wait!

alright. finally back home to the States. and picked up the Savage FCP HS 338 Lapua. today, the scope finally went on....SWFA 5-20. love the set up. this weekend will be running thru some Sellier & Bellot 250gr match ammo to get on target. I am very excited to get it out.
did a lot of thinking before this purchase, and thanks everyone for the help.

for my son, I picked up the same rifle but in 300 win mag. SWFA 3-15 scope.

we are in for a nice time shooting.

I can't wait!

Good choices! Have a great time shooting with your son.

Jeff

I've got a Savage FCP HS .338 I use primarily for hog hunting when I'm going between several bait sites. I have a Trijicon 5-20-50 scope on it. I've also got the 12 BA in .338, but it is too heavy for lugging around on a hog hunt. I've got a NF 5-22 on it.

I've had good luck with the Sellier and Bellot ammo. I can get it relatively inexpensively through Cabela's. The round hits hogs like a sledgehammer. I've only failed to recover one hog I shot with the .338, but that is because he crawled into some REALLY thick brush and I didn't feel like crawling in after him.

I could and have used smaller calibers on hogs, but the .338 is just too much fun to use on them. If I hunt hogs by staking out a single corn pile, I'll take the 12 with a bipod and rest it on the roof of the cab of my pickup. I got a tall office chair from work, and I'll sit comfortably in it in the back the truck until the hogs come out.

I'll try a "Texas heart shot" to see how the .338 works the next time I can go hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts