Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

H1000,
I looked yesterday for h1000, retumbo, N570, 8133 and 7977. Nothing within 100 miles.
Everything even remotely close to h1000 and retumbo on the burn rate chart is nonexistent here. Lol
I did find 2 pounds of rl33, I bought it.
I just picked up a pound of reloader 26 to try I want to try 33 as well which is designed for the 338 Lapua when I first got the rifle and tried it years ago it didn't perform well and was extremely dirty but I did not know what I was doing back then luckily I survived

Last edited:
C78093DA-16F6-4F2D-8020-60B1A5B41944.png
575709AB-316A-408D-8560-4F5ECAFE018E.jpeg
H1000,
I looked yesterday for h1000, retumbo, N570, 8133 and 7977. Nothing within 100 miles.
Everything even remotely close to h1000 and retumbo on the burn rate chart is nonexistent here. Lol
I did find 2 pounds of rl33, I bought it.
26 is not on any burn rate chart I could find either however 25 is 4 powders faster than H 1000 rl26 should be close if you can find any of that available haven't tried it yet or I could give you better info

26 is not on any burn rate chart I could find either however 25 is 4 powders faster than H 1000 rl26 should be close if you can find any of that available haven't tried yet or I could give you better info
Thanks, I'll look for some. I have a pound of RL25 when I was breaking in the barrel. I didn't do any work up, I just loaded to sammi length and close to the minimum charge and shot 20 rounds. I'm might have to try it again, or rl26 since it's supposed to be more temp stable.

Thanks, I'll look for some. I have a pound of RL25 when I was breaking in the barrel. I didn't do any work up, I just loaded to sammi length and close to the minimum charge and shot 20 rounds. I'm might have to try it again, or rl26 since it's supposed to be more temp stable.
From the two pictured load data pages I just posted it looks like 26 is very close to retumbo

I have a 338LM for sale to a good home. Love it just, have other rifles that I try to balance. Guess it be different if I had built it for a different role like a dedicated LR/ELR rifle instead of as another hunting rifle.

I have a 338LM for sale to a good home. Love it just, have other rifles that I try to balance. Guess it be different if I had built it for a different role like a dedicated LR/ELR rifle instead of as another hunting rifle.
Describe it possibly post a picture a lot of people read the site

From the two pictured load data pages I just posted it looks like 26 is very close to retumbo

It not close to Retumbo in burn rate. It's in between H4831 and H1000. My RL26 loads usually wind up around 2 grains less than a comparable load with H1000. However, it produces about 50-75 fps more velocity.

It not close to Retumbo in burn rate. It's in between H4831 and H1000. My RL26 loads usually wind up around 2 grains less than a comparable load with H1000. However, it produces about 50-75 fps more velocity.
On the burger website for a 250 grain bullet max charge is 94 grains of retumbo in the Hornady reloading book rl 26 Max charge is 93.8 with a bullet of the same weight. I can't find a burn rate chart with the new powder's such as 23 or 26 if you know of one please post it for all of us

871111C8-F6BF-4494-906F-329E499E66A2.png
There's a lot of powders between 4831 and h 1000 ATTACH=full]155569[/ATTACH] from# 128 to # 141

Last edited:
I am currently looking for a new rifle. finally settled down to either a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor or the FCP HS 338 Lapua. I have been going back and forth between these 2 for some time. I tend to research a lot before purchasing anything.

There is a LOT of difference between a 6.5CM and .338 Lapua.

Just what is your intended purpose – killing paper and steel at long range or hunting?

a few years ago I owned a Rem Sendero 300 RUM. I liked it but always felt I should have gotten the 338 RUM version due to better ballistics of 338 bullets.

looking up the 338 Lapua, you would think that most people shooting long range would be all over this round. Especially with the new lighter, muzzle braked rifles coming out.

this is just a thread to start a discussion on the reality of this round....or odd ideas that I have difficulties agreeing with.

1. it's a military sniper round. Reality is, it was developed for military for efficient delivery of the great 338 bullets. no more powerful than a 340 weather by which shoots the same bullets. many of todays most popular cartridges originally were developed for pretty much the same reason......223, 308 win, 30-06, 6.5x55....on and on. no one seems to connect those rounds with the OMG THAT IS A MILITARY ROUND concept. .

Considering I own bolt and AR-15 and A-10 rifles semi-auto handguns and they are variously chambered for a variety of cartridges adopted or at least used by military organizations (9mm Para, ,40 S&W, .45ACP, .223/5.56, .308 Win, .30-06, .300WM and .45-70), I don't give a crap if a cartridge is designed for or by or used by the military – any military. If it suits my purposes, I use it. So I guess we agree on that point.

2. it's WAY overkill. my ideas are as follows. can someone please explain the concept of overkill. my idea of hunting is to cause enough damage to the game to make certain is has little to no suffering. yes I only hunt animals for meat. don't believe in killing just to kill. yes I do not want to "blow up" the game so there is the least amount of waste. however, being in the medical profession, I do understand that there needs to be a certain amount of trauma to lead to a quick death. so, wouldn't the right approach be to try to ensure that the animal drops in it's tracks rather than run and slowly expire in 50 yards? using a larger cartridge like the Lapua does not guarantee that this will occur but will greatly improve the odds. .

"Overkill" to me is when a cartridge does way more damage and/or generates far more recoil than necessary, often/usually at greater expense. In an extreme case for purposes of illustration, one of my .45-70 "Rhino Blaster" loads (460g hardcast, 1812fps, 50+ ft-lbs recoil) to kill a squirrel when a .22 Short would do just fine.

3. a lot of posts go like this........wow, that 338 Lapua is so expensive to shoot or reload. but int the same post they will say...you should build the rifle on a custom action, custom barrel, custom stock, put on the $2000 Night force scope with the best mounting rings and base. in reality the cost of 338 Lapua ammo is on par with the larger Weatherby rounds. People don't seem to complain that much about the $$ of Weatherby ammo. .

I don't shoot Weatherby cartridges for a reason. Factory ammo is expensive but I reload so that isn't much of an issue. Brass tends to be more expensive as well, but I get the job done with more pedestrian cartridges at lower cost. My most expensive scopes are used Leupolds that I paid $350 for. One of them sits on top of my 6.5-06AI and works well enough that I've had hit rates as high as 80% shooting lay pigeons on the 600-yrd berm. If I ever spend $2K for a scope, my wife should have me committed.

4. OMG it recoils too much. from what I understand, most of the rifles in this round have muzzle brakes. more like shooting a 308. so.... .

The older I get the more I appreciate lower recoil. There are multiple reasons I don't shoot 3-1'2" max dram equivalent turkey loads when hunting doves and recoil is one of them. My .45-70 "Rhino Blaster" loads mentioned above are shoulder busting, retina detaching bitches in a light rifle.

5. Rifles are too heavy. Savage has 2 that are around 10 lbs. Rem 700 was also lighter. I am certain there are others. A concept I have a hard time with is trying to build as light a rifle as possible but then complain that the 308 winchester just kicks like a mule in that rifle. Are we expecting too much out of a rifle? similar idea going on right now in the concealed carry revolvers...super light weight but then complain about shooting the 38 special. of course light weight will be uncomfortable. .

The older I get the more I appreciate light rifles, too. Figured that out years ago humping the hills for elk.

just seems to be a lot of dislike for this cartridge but when compared to other cartridges I am having a hard time understanding why the dislike. If a person is able to afford that round, cost aside, isn't the Lapua a great all around cartridge? and now Savage is offering a few very nice options for that round. seems to me like this would be a great platform to target shoot, hunt most game at most ranges. .

It isn't that I don't "like" the .338 Lapua, I have no feelings for it at all. It just doesn't do what I want or anything I need done that I can't do with something else with less recoil and at less expense.

I tend to like actual facts rather than hear-say.....

just trying to vent a little and looking for your thoughts based on real experience.

I'd go with the 6.5CM all day long. Currently in the process of building another rifle on a Savage action. It will probably end up a 6.5 PRC.

My unbraked 7mag kicks harder than my Savage 338 lapua.
For the record, it's a 112 mag target with Weaver tac 6-30x, it weighs about 17#. The 7mag is about 9#.
So the trade off is the ideal mountain elk rifle would be the 9# 7mag but it recoils harder. The 17# lapua kicks less, but it's 17#s. To some that's a problem, but I have carried a 20# chainsaw and about 10# of timber cutting gear on my belt for 22 years, along with heavy logger boots that come in at 8#.
So I most definitely would pick the lapua, my hunting boots are about 3# .

You know another reason a lot of us shoot at all is for fun or because we want to that also describes a reason some people choose a 338 Lapua not that they have to have it for any particular purpose it either serves their purpose better or they just want it or they just think it's fun and I don't think there's anything wrong with that I am one of those people

You know another reason a lot of us shoot at all is for fun or because we want to that also describes a reason some people choose a 338 Lapua not that they have to have it for any particular purpose it either serves their purpose better or they just want it or they just think it's fun and I don't think there's anything wrong with that I am one of those people
Me too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.