Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

The 210 would not be my personal choice to shoot/hunt with the 338 Lapua. I look at that like buying a full size $60k diesel to tow a jetski. Can you do it? sure. I don't believe it is optimizing the potential of the Lapua case capacity. The low BC of the 210 TSX is going to drift a whole lot in the wind and it's going to limit your effective range. If you're not planning on shooting beyond about 750 yards, then you can do it, but then you also don't really need a Lapua to do that.

Run some numbers and compare wind drift of the 210 TSX compared to something like the 225 Accubond and see how they come out. While you're at it, throw in a few more bullets like the 250 berger EH, 280 LRX, 300 Berger and 300 Accubond. Once you compare some energy and wind drift numbers of the various bullets maybe you'll change your mind. Maybe not, but at least you'll have facts to back up your bullet choice.
For shooting steel and other targets beyond 1000 the 300 berger really shines but for hunting even with a 338 Lapua I don't know that I would even attempt to shoot an animal at 1000 but the smaller 250 grain burger elite hunters really outperform a bigger bullet,flatter shooting and faster

Mud, I don't recall anyone saying you have to use a certain cal/cartridge. What many of us are saying is you increase your odds and critters go down quicker, etc., when you use larger cartridges. Bigger bullets make bigger holes, hit harder and cause more damage. I now a guy who has taken 4 bull elk with a 243. Yes, it can be done but I prefer something larger.
I would like to go elk hunting one day I would like to use my custom 6.5 x 2 84 Norma but I will probably go with the 338 match your rifle to the game it is to be used upon

That wasn't the rifle/cartridge/caliber at fault, that was 100% operator error in not choosing the right equipment for the task at hand.

And may well have been, but until someone can show me a .338 LM platform that doesn't damage the operator, I'll stick with what I know.

alright. finally back home to the States. and picked up the Savage FCP HS 338 Lapua. today, the scope finally went on....SWFA 5-20. love the set up. this weekend will be running thru some Sellier & Bellot 250gr match ammo to get on target. I am very excited to get it out.
did a lot of thinking before this purchase, and thanks everyone for the help.

for my son, I picked up the same rifle but in 300 win mag. SWFA 3-15 scope.

we are in for a nice time shooting.

I can't wait![/QUOTE S&B the same rounds I started out with before I got into reloading

My friend owns 1,,, but he likes his trusty 300 and 7mm.more... He put his 338 up for sale last summer with nill for calls on it...

Most folks in our area like the mid size cartridges on up to the smaller magnums it seems...

I would of bought it,,, but those days came and gone about 23 years ago...

Its a pretty expensive build that he's going to take a lick'en on when it sells...

He knew this before he invested $$$ into it...

I'll admit one thing,,, its sure fun to shoot with the $5600 Cnd fund optic of glory...

22 lb land cannon that is deadly accurate...

Cheers from the North

Sorry man, I couldn't help myself.:D

Attachments

• 6B7C6ED1-142A-4947-807D-399E3CF13D87.jpeg
    6B7C6ED1-142A-4947-807D-399E3CF13D87.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 96
What are you using I had good results within 570
H1000,
I looked yesterday for h1000, retumbo, N570, 8133 and 7977. Nothing within 100 miles.
Everything even remotely close to h1000 and retumbo on the burn rate chart is nonexistent here. Lol
I did find 2 pounds of rl33, I bought it.

H1000,
I looked yesterday for h1000, retumbo, N570, 8133 and 7977. Nothing within 100 miles.
Everything even remotely close to h1000 and retumbo on the burn rate chart is nonexistent here. Lol
I did find 2 pounds of rl33, I bought it.
Bummer I have H 1000 and Retumbo they work pretty good out of N5 70 right now

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.