Why a Custom Build?

I used to be the guy who felt a good factory rifle with quality scope and tuned ammo was the ticket. I still think it is just fine and will likely shoot quite well. I have not had a factory rifle that didn't work well.

However, having a custom rifle is a personal joy. Mixing up parts, preferences, etc and making something you like is hard to beat. Heck that can be a factory rifle too. Its a little like motorcycles, trucks, cars...…. set of wheels, bumpers, graphics.....etc makes your ride stand out in your mind.

I went through a lot of preference changes in my builds and wound up settling on a shorter barrel rifle with a suppressor (hunting), a chassis with folding stock, and a switch barrel action. This seems to be my sweet spot. Gives me a lot of options and suits me very well. This set up might make someone else cringe at the cost and look but it's my rig, and I'll take my personal satisfaction over others opinions. Today when someone talks about custom or semi custom I am totally on board with them. If someone wants a stock savage I'm on board with them too.

Interesting read and some insight into custom builds. I personally don't have the money for a custom rifle. But someday I hope to be able to afford one.

You might be surprised at the cost when compared to one or two factory rifles. If you shoot a lot and accuracy is your bag, Many times a custom rifle can be cheaper in the long run. Finding the right load in a factory rifle can sometimes be frustrating and costly, and sometimes it will never be anything more that a good rifle instead of a great rifle.

Pride of owing something that No one else has is part of it but having something that will out shoot you is the main reason most want a custom rifle.

You will hear all sorts of prices from $2,000.00 dollars to $8,000.00 and with careful planning you can build with all of the best quality components without spending 8 grand. and have a rifle that will shoot with anything for much less.

Every shooter should treat himself to one custom.

J E CUSTOM

As the old saying goes....it's not the kill,but the thrill of the chase. I will become obsessed with learning to make something and when I finally figure it all out, I am bored with it and move to the next shiney object. From golf clubs to knife making to fishing rods to race cars. I have a shop full of things I made and will never sell and never use. It's a illness with no cure.
Maybe I should join or start a 12 step program for us addicts.

You might be surprised at the cost when compared to one or two factory rifles. If you shoot a lot and accuracy is your bag, Many times a custom rifle can be cheaper in the long run. Finding the right load in a factory rifle can sometimes be frustrating and costly, and sometimes it will never be anything more that a good rifle instead of a great rifle.

Pride of owing something that No one else has is part of it but having something that will out shoot you is the main reason most want a custom rifle.

You will hear all sorts of prices from $2,000.00 dollars to $8,000.00 and with careful planning you can build with all of the best quality components without spending 8 grand. and have a rifle that will shoot with anything for much less.

Every shooter should treat himself to one custom.

J E CUSTOM
Thank you for the input! I'm currently crawling my way out of a bunch of school debt and some poor life choices 😬😬😬. But assuming things continue to go well I certainly hope to build a good quality custom rifle in the hopefully not so distant future.

I am currently doing the best I can with a used RPR that I traded my AR-10 for 👍

I just bought a custom built 22-250. It started off a Remington 788 action and got a better barrel, trigger and stock. Is is the best in the world? Probably not. But is is a tack driver. Reason I bought it was because it was build for a club member that I was close to and when he passed away at 98 (missed 99 by 3 weeks) I wanted one of his rifles. I got the rifle, a bunch of ammo and his reloading "recipe" Every time I shoot it, I get to see "Built for Wes" stamped on the barrel and get to remember him. Don't think I got hurt for $200.

Wes.jpg

Last edited:
In short the consistency. The other part the hobby aspect of it. Seeing something come together. Use it like it, turn around sell it to try something else. Also some (myself) have one built because I thought I had to have it to find out it was a bit too much for my needs so I'm looking to sell it.

Ive only had one custom built for me,ten years ago and its my go to.Also alot of young hunters shot there first game with some of my rifles. Ive said it many times,if you what classifieds here,you can almost find exactly what you want,wait my be less or more,cost always better.After about 10 years upgrading my jeep,saw my dream jeep for sale,had a ls in it.Mine still waiting for a v8

Funny to see the common thread between people that build custom guns and own or race cars. Interesting. Prices are way different between a 7k custom and a 300k ProMod, but the addiction is the same.
[/QUOTE
Interesting comment. In fact a very good friend (deceased) and very accomplished rifle builder, and well respected competitive shooter began early in life with a love for speed, I'm talking about Jerry Simison from Minnesota. He had one wall in his basement covered with marine high speed boat racing trophies (raced for Merc Marine if I remember correctly). Also spent a number of years racing snowmobiles, thus another wall of trophies. A badly damaged back brought his interest to rifle competition. The third wall was all covered with small bore rifle competition trophies. He built many fine rifles for numerous successful competitive and hunters alike.
Your comment about speed made me think about Jerry, and many other real gentlemen I've met at the bench. Shooters and reloaders are a special group. Always willing to help with advice and encouragement.
Len, thanks for your forum. It's furthering our sport, giving tips on the science, but also that elusive art that comes with this great love.
My diatribe for tonight!!

It's like anything else. Your passion is what drives it and the happiness you get validates all of the hard work and satisfy your soul. After each rifle I work so hard for reaches what I believe is it's maximum potential I put it aside and go for another goal or idea and sometimes selling is the only way I can afford the next build.
The same way I was with my race car. I would build it and run my number but instead of being satisfied I would want to go faster and faster no matter the cost or sacrifice. Since I built it to a point where I can't afford to go faster it just sits because it takes so much money to race it and maintenance.
I find rifles give me the same "high" but at a lower costs, plus it's easier to take a lost on a rifle than an race engine or a race car. I'm just speaking for myself as everyone is different but I'm pretty sure we do it because we love it and can't keep well enough alone. Aloha
Right on the money...

Surely I'm missing the point here but it seems that they must be either enamored with the process of a "build" or possibly can't figure out what they want.

You're not missing the point at all - you nailed it. Twice. I am enamored with the build process, and I can't figure out what I want.

It didn't make sense in the first place to build a rifle to ding steel plates past 1000 yds, so I don't try to make sense of selling it to build another.

Last edited:
People want a custom-built rifle because they want something that incorporates the very best of components, such that they can never say "The rifle let me down because it didn't come from the factory with Part X on it/in it" or some such lamentation. Yes we can add precision triggers, barrels or whatever but it's in our mind that the custom-built machine coming to us already equipped with these add-ons is the better mechanism than the one we modified in our garage. We also place a sort of "presupposed confidence" in the builder promising us one-minute groups when we use premium factory ammunition.

I have built two custom rifles. I made a few mistakes on the first one and so corrected those on a second, albeit in a different caliber. I gave those away and am now dreaming-up another one in the 6.5mm bore. I've been suffering a slew of medical problems that have kept me away from work for many months now, so the timeline to get this third one operational is open-ended.

The proposed action will be the stainless Zermatt Arms TL3 in left bolt & right ejection. Barrel will be a Hart in 416R in a heavy-ish varmint contour; at least 24" long. Chassis will be the Magpul Pro 700 in its fully-ambidextrous deliciousness. I'm a lefty; I was beyond excited when I discovered this chassis. At last: Something for we who are forgotten 90% of the time in just about everything made or sold in America. You just gotta love that free-market capitalism-- givin' the buyer what he wants at attractive prices.

Attachments

• Dimensioned 6.5mm Croodmeer.JPG
    Dimensioned 6.5mm Croodmeer.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I like walnut, 3 lug bolts, 2-stage triggers, and precision/accuracy. Where can you find that from a factory offering? Therefore: SAKO, Bartlein, and a gunsmith helped me achieve 3 of the 4 criteria ( I couldn't find a 2-stage for the 85 action).

You just gotta love that free-market capitalism-- givin' the buyer what he wants at attractive prices.
Coupled with the evolution of internet over the last 15 years - there are so many options for so many enthusiast endeavors, and now we can see them all and share new ideas and real experiences with them. So we just have to try it because we got bored with our "finished" product. Then having the latest becomes almost a competition in itself.

Now add a great economy with so much discretionary spending and there seem to be no limits as to what's coming down the pike.

It's true of so many pursuits - shooting, mountain biking, road cycling, photography, snowmobiling, 4x4, backpacking, motorbikes, climbing, fishing, custom touring vans, even "traditional" archery where you can spend $1500 or more on a custom made carbon fiber longbow only to have it outdated in two years by some new idea that somebody has the money to try.

Look at mountain biking, for one . . . A custom builder I know says his builds are outdated almost as soon as he finishes one. Somebody is always trying a new idea or design for their specialized or personal wants on virtually every large and small component of the bike. Riders willing to spend the money will see it, want to try it out, and bam - there's a new specialty component out there that everybody "needs" throughout the biking internet world. Then they can just sell the last one, at a loss but that's ok because its a pursuit, to the used market. My neighbors now take three $5k bikes each when they go to Moab, to have just the right bike for whatever terrain they're going to ride that day. They's just one couple and they load up six bikes!

I see shooting/hunting much the same nowadays.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.