Custom Build

Stryker1188

Hi everyone, I have been reading here for a while, but I am still learning about these custom builds, anyways I have been looking for the perfect custom rifle in a 6x300 weatherby, and can't decide where to put my money so I thought about putting together a full custom, by getting the parts and materials together and getting a smith to put her together, here's the catch I don't know what I'm looking for when it comes to barrels and such( went to bartlein site and instantly felt dumb haha) any help would be greatly appreciated, this rifle will be used for hunting primarily on deer(big mulies) and elk

Thanks in advance

I would go with a larger caliber than 6mm. If you want to kill elk, I wouldn't use anything smaller than 7mm, maybe a 6.5mm. Look into the 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm-.300 Win Mag .28 Nosler, .264 Win Mag, .26 Nosler, and any other magnum bigger than 6mm.

I would go with a larger caliber than 6mm. If you want to kill elk, I wouldn't use anything smaller than 7mm, maybe a 6.5mm. Look into the 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm-.300 Win Mag .28 Nosler, .264 Win Mag, .26 Nosler, and any other magnum bigger than 6mm.

Hi yes thanks that was a typing error I am going for a 6.5x300 weatherby magnum

Hi yes thanks that was a typing error I am going for a 6.5x300 weatherby magnum

If you're wanting a fast & heavy hitter with flat trajectory, the 7mm STW is a great option. If you're wanting good barrel life with slightly slower velocity, the 7mm RemMag will be a good one. The regular .300 Wby, or the .300 Ackley would also be a great option.

If you're wanting a fast & heavy hitter with flat trajectory, the 7mm STW is a great option. If you're wanting good barrel life with slightly slower velocity, the 7mm RemMag will be a good one. The regular .300 Wby, or the .300 Ackley would also be a great option.

Thanks for the reply,I have a 300 weatherby and had a 7mm rem mag, but really like the 6.5, I am really in need of help with what type of barrel to select ( what contour and #) type of trigger and receivers that ppl like and why) thanks again :)

Thanks for the reply,I have a 300 weatherby and had a 7mm rem mag, but really like the 6.5, I am really in need of help with what type of barrel to select ( what contour and #) type of trigger and receivers that ppl like and why) thanks again :)

Do you want the rifle to be lightweight? Or have a heavy barrel? Any of the popular barrel makers will work ex: Krieger, Hart, Brux, Bartlien, Broughton, Lilja, etc. The best triggers made are Jewells but they are a couple hundred dollars, for half the money Timney makes a great trigger as well. In my opinion the best action to build from is a Remington 700 or a custom action that is basically a blueprinted 700 such as Stiller or Deviant.

For a carry weight rifle probably a #4 Brux 1-8 twist and shoot the 160 Matrix.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.