Why a Custom Build?

LDHunter

I'm trying to understand something I see on here all the time and can't grasp what's going on here.

A lot of people seem to be constantly in the process of one or sometimes several custom builds. Then when they finally get the rifles back they put high dollar scopes on them and do some load development. Then they're posting pictures of that pretty custom build all over the place and bragging about one hole groups but before you know it they're selling that rifle and moving on to yet another custom build. It's almost like they're throwing a bunch of stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

Surely I'm missing the point here but it seems that they must be either enamored with the process of a "build" or possibly can't figure out what they want.

I hope this doesn't come across as criticism but hopefully it will start a conversation that we can all learn from as some of the people that are constantly in the process of builds shed some light into the joys and frustrations of custom builds and their motivations to go through the process.

LDH

It's like anything else. Your passion is what drives it and the happiness you get validates all of the hard work and satisfy your soul. After each rifle I work so hard for reaches what I believe is it's maximum potential I put it aside and go for another goal or idea and sometimes selling is the only way I can afford the next build.
The same way I was with my race car. I would build it and run my number but instead of being satisfied I would want to go faster and faster no matter the cost or sacrifice. Since I built it to a point where I can't afford to go faster it just sits because it takes so much money to race it and maintenance.
I find rifles give me the same "high" but at a lower costs, plus it's easier to take a lost on a rifle than an race engine or a race car. I'm just speaking for myself as everyone is different but I'm pretty sure we do it because we love it and can't keep well enough alone. Aloha

A well built custom is something to behold and shoot. But many people listen to the wrong people and along with the bad advice, they chose a builder that is only interested in their money instead of producing a quality product.

Then when it doesn't shoot up to the level of cost they paid, It goes on the chopping block at a great loss.

Some also think that the higher the cost of the rifle, the better "they" will shoot. In the hands of a good shooter, a quality built custom will be amazing, but in the hands of a poor shooter, it is just a very expensive poor shooting rifle.

There are also a few people that just like change and get tired of the status Quo, so want the latest and greatest
designer cartridge.

Don't worry about the why or it will drive you crazy.

J E CUSTOM

Some people just like the Dance.
Some builders supply everything in the build, you pay half down and wait, then maybe wait some more. Expectations can change in 6 mos. I can walk out the door for a cheeseburger and come home hungry but I now have a new pickup.
As for price on sales, your custom gun was built to your liking, not mine, I may want your barreled action but your stock choice does little for me, I'm not paying much for it because now I need to sell it and rebuy.
Could be you altered your choice of barrel contours, got away from your norm and now the configuration or dynamics have changed and not to your liking. Maybe same with an action choice, or a stock choice.
I'd imagine veterans of custom builds should be more stable by averages, I look back at my first 5 or 6 builds and chuckle at myself, but at the time I did not know any better.
I have a story of a build where I bought a used black McMillan hunter adj stock, inlet or barrel channel was not correct. I paid to refill it, turn it into a flat top, had it re-milled, bedded, and custom paint it. I was into it for 1800 when I could have just bought new for 650 or less. I shot that *** for 5 mos before restocking it, I just left it at my gunsmiths after getting a new stock and never looked back hoping it was a learning experience.

I've found that by the time a custom gun is finished, I'm already bored with the idea and ready to move on to the next project. There's also a lot of truth to what JE Custom said about getting the finished product and then being disappointed with the result, whether it's the over all quality, accuracy or performance. I've had all three of those happen to me.

To me a 'custom' build means a couple things, a gunbuilder builds you a gun with parts they deem best and hand you a finished rifle ready to shoot. Or a builder does the job & parts you can't or don't want to do and they or you assemble it. You buy the parts you deem necessary to build a custom rifle and you assemble it with some or a lot of help. They all end up the same result depending on how much money you want to spend on project. Carbon or stainless match barrel? $250 or $700 stock? Custom hand made action or trued blueprinted factory action? Pillar or glass bedded or both? Builder going to work up a load or you?

To me just like when I built racecars the actual hands on building, gives me a lot of satisfaction as well as a through knowledge of how it was built and how to work on it. Also for me its ALL about accuracy, some need expensive parts to make it special or coolness factor maybe high cost or a famous name to proclaim. Nothing wrong with any of this, but I just want a dependable rifle that shoots lights out. Action like silk? barrel clean with 2 patches? Others ooh and ahh when they see or handle it? That means nothing to me, but does it shoot unreal and can I fix anything that goes wrong with it...Very important to me.

So a custom gun is different things to different people, what ever floats your boat or makes you happy. Each gun I build has a lot of me in it, I think that's why I never sell or trade-off any gun I build, it shoots first time or I get it shooting before long. Takes me a lot longer to work up a load than I could afford to pay some one that doesn't have a vested interest to do for me. But hey, its just a savage so I don't expect any coolness factor or high value, what I get is pride of what it can do to targets and game, and pride I built it with my own hands. Custom all the way. Dave

Funny to see the common thread between people that build custom guns and own or race cars. Interesting. Prices are way different between a 7k custom and a 300k ProMod, but the addiction is the same.
Its the need for speed😁
I use to race stock cars and snowmobiles before my wildcat addiction!!

I do not think I have ever sold any personal build customs. I have given a couple away as gifts to help people starting out etc. I tend to keep mine.

But if you just start out unless you get really good ecpert help + a bit of luck from the experience you will find something you wish were different etc. That means upgrade swap or new build.

Nice thing with scopes is they move nicely from rifle to rifle.

I really like having various caliber and cartridge builds for different shooting. Be it game enviornment etc.

For me the next step was wildcatting as I wanted a cartridge that was fully optimized for the gun spec intended use and built to have ideal bullet position powder vol longjevity. Then your into at least rechambeting if not new builds based on even more experience. If I just cared about basic end result i.e. game dead @ agiven range no one would need a custom. But just like taking the time to do all the steps to get the most consistent tiny groups the same can be applied to the cartridge, the rifle, the entire combination. To get there thru the learning curve might take a few builds.

Plus it can be a hobby in and of itself like anything else. New things generates excitement.

well from my personal experience this is how i see it...
About 10 years go I decided that even though I couldn't afford it, (newly married and new baby) that I absolutely HAD to have a custom rifle. It wasnt a full custom, it was a 338 Lapua build on a 700 action with a PTG bolt. Krieger #6 fluted, in a Greybull Precision stock. not the fanciest or lightest rifle out there but I upgraded things like the trigger, bottom metal and scope as I was able to. This rifle shot exceptionally well, it still holds my furthest kill shot. It was a cool rifle! I was later able to rebarrel my 375 Rum to a custom barrel and at this point I was really liking the options that building custom or semi custom afforded me. I am a huge Tikka fan, but most of the twist rates suck.. so customizing them is a good option. Finally I decided I wanted an ultralight 338.. only way to afford that was to sell off the old lapua so that I could buy a titanium action... so off it went, not that I didnt love it, but my love of the sport nd my needs/wants are constantly evolving. Right now I cant imagine a situation where my full custom 338 ru wont be the ultimate rifle in my eyes.. but It could easily happen.
That being said if a guy doesnt see the point in a custom there are a TON of awesome factory rifles out there,

I have purchased 2 custom rifles from other people in my life, I dont own either of them anymore. Something about knowing every detail of a rifle build that resonates with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.