Why a Custom Build?

Just read the LEFTY comment and I thought hey there's another real reason I went this route. It is really difficult to find what I wanted in a left hand action from the factory. Not that this justifies a custom, that is justified in the fact that is what I wanted. The only gunsmith that touched this rifle was the one at proof that built the prefit and bighorn smith who created the action. Everything else I did. Cerakote, machining the mdt chassis to reduce weight, trigger, head spacing, etc.
IMG_9815.jpg

I think the title could have been 'why not a custom build?', As seen in this thread anybody can do one the way they want it and keep the expense from $1500-$5000 even less if you can do a lot of the work yourself. They are a personal creation and source of pride, they will shoot better (in most cases), look better, and not be a factory one of thousands like it rifle. Dave

I think for some reloading is the primary hobby which leads to constantly needing new rifles for load development. Knowing that your handloads are bringing any rifle to its height of performance is a goal achieved and then a new weapon is required to start the process all over again. I would think that for those types, a custom rifle would eliminate a lot of the questioning factors on quality and accuracy and once the initial investment is made the value from selling or trading the custom rifle allows the build of another or the acquisition of a custom trade for not too much money allowing the load development process (primary hobby) to start all over again. To this point look at how many people have their rifles for sale but the high end optic mounted on the selling photos would be preferred to be kept for the next build.

I would point out that what I said about having a piece of yourself in each build and that pride in the result precludes my selling it just to build another for new load development. I would never sell any of my builds as they are made to be developed fully and enjoyed by future generations. I build each gun for a purpose and specific use, A smaller caliber varmint rifle, a deer rifle and mirror image back-up for problems that could arise during a hunting season, a mid caliber long range target/hunting rifle, a tactical heavy barrel bipod equipped for my son, and now looking at a figured claro walnut wood stocked carbon barreled build that an aging friend that makes stocks will help with. Still room there to build an ultra light and see how light I can get it with todays products. None of these guns will leave, just complete an inheritance for future shooters and hunters in the family at some point.

Actually its optics I sell to upgrade, no attachment or piece of me there, trade or sell one off for another without thought. Just another way of looking at it I guess. I do see the custom guns for sale on this sites classifieds and don't really understand it....maybe if you have another make it there isn't that same attachment? Don't really know...

Oh by the way, That is one SWEET gun Brent! Dave

Last edited:
"Because I just love Building Rifles", building Rifles, Shooting and hunting are my hobbies, I've always got a few builds on the go, I love new cartridges, 6mm CM, 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC and soon the 6.5 RPM,
I've ordered a reamer, barrel and action for the 6.5 RPM build already !
I'm also accuracy driven when it comes to my builds, on top of that I'm always trying new optics out, Im a good old fashioned gear junkie !

I'm trying to understand something I see on here all the time and can't grasp what's going on here.

A lot of people seem to be constantly in the process of one or sometimes several custom builds. Then when they finally get the rifles back they put high dollar scopes on them and do some load development. Then they're posting pictures of that pretty custom build all over the place and bragging about one hole groups but before you know it they're selling that rifle and moving on to yet another custom build. It's almost like they're throwing a bunch of stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

Surely I'm missing the point here but it seems that they must be either enamored with the process of a "build" or possibly can't figure out what they want.

I hope this doesn't come across as criticism but hopefully it will start a conversation that we can all learn from as some of the people that are constantly in the process of builds shed some light into the joys and frustrations of custom builds and their motivations to go through the process.

LDH
I've noticed this also. I've kept most of my builds. I believe the challenge & thrill of building a rifle is what is alluring. Probably different reasons for selling. Some probably sell to fund the next project. Some may realize what they built doesn't fit what their application was. One thing I have found is that I don't want a lightweight rifle in one of the larger than standard magnums. I see alot of folks build lightweight 6lb plus or minus 1 lb, 28 nosler, RUMs, 300prcs, 300 Norma's etc... I don't think those in a lightweight rig is for everyone. I also believe that some of these rifles that sell may require More attention & work to maintain tiny groups than something else they have or could build. Probably many more reasons than these for people selling their custom rifles.

A custom build gives you what you want, instead of accepting what the manufacturers decide you should have.

Custom build is usually more accurate than factory.

Custom build gives you non-commercial calibers, like 458x1.5 .

Totally agree. You get exactly what YOU want and like.

Like a fully loaded Mercedes as opposed to a budget Toyota

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.