Who is your favorite hunting influencer?

Well i started hunting in my home state of PA in 1947 at age 12.
The small group consisted of my father, my older brother, and a couple of neiborhood friends of my fathers.
In a couple years the numbers increased to the point we could perform some mostly pretty unorganized drives.
Remember one thing, when ever you have a group of say 8 or more guys, there will be at least 2 you would be better off not having. lol
Anyway thats pretty much the way it went untill the late 60s.
Thats when a group of guys moved into our area and soon established a reputation.
The reason was they were killing more bucks in a day than we were in a week.
And i made a special point of meeting some of them.
They were my mentors, and they were all i needed.
One day i was told look here, if this were really hard do you think many people could do it?

Hi Folks, I recently put together this list of the best hunting influencers. It's currently a small list and I am looking to add more people to it. If you have an influencer or a blog you love, please leave a comment below and let me know. I would love to add them to the list!
My grandfather Charles percy Willard he showed me how to hunt and track trapping snares of all types and what you could eat and what not to eat. Commanding officer Richard Marcinko cammanding officer of seal team 6. october 1980-1983.

I guess number one would have been my Dad. Had three guns most of his life until probably 50 year of age. The first a long barreled Model 99 savage in 303 Savage caliber. Shot three deer one morning at 1/4 mile one after another witnessed by his nephew. Open sights of course Second gun a model 37 Ithaca in 16 gauge. Shot lots of birds with it until probably into his 70's then got a Berretta. Third was a trombone style Browning pump 22 rimfire. Shot everything from Jack rabbits bush rabbits or what are called snow shoe hairs ruffed grouse and sharp-tail grouse. Thousands of gophers. I first shot that 22 at five years of age. Now al in my possession. Second influencer I guess would be Jack O'Connor. Third would be a gunsmith who has long passed. I think about guns used when i started out and the amount of different calibers rifle models etc. then and now. Main lesson was don't pull the trigger if you don't think you can make the shot. My father grew up in late 20's and early 30's. Not much ammunition around. tried to instill in me. He failed miserably there. I always loved to pull the trigger, reload make tighter groups shoot consistently at farther distance. But most lessons I carry every fall.

I guess number one would have been my Dad. Had three guns most of his life until probably 50 year of age. The first a long barreled Model 99 savage in 303 Savage caliber. Shot three deer one morning at 1/4 mile one after another witnessed by his nephew. Open sights of course Second gun a model 37 Ithaca in 16 gauge. Shot lots of birds with it until probably into his 70's then got a Berretta. Third was a trombone style Browning pump 22 rimfire. Shot everything from Jack rabbits bush rabbits or what are called snow shoe hairs ruffed grouse and sharp-tail grouse. Thousands of gophers. I first shot that 22 at five years of age. Now al in my possession. Second influencer I guess would be Jack O'Connor. Third would be a gunsmith who has long passed. I think about guns used when i started out and the amount of different calibers rifle models etc. then and now. Main lesson was don't pull the trigger if you don't think you can make the shot. My father grew up in late 20's and early 30's. Not much ammunition around. tried to instill in me. He failed miserably there. I always loved to pull the trigger, reload make tighter groups shoot consistently at farther distance. But most lessons I carry every fall.
That right there is what makes this thread one of the best. Thanks for posting that.

Newberg , Shockey, and Jay Scott for me. They seem genuine about it.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth for the likes of Hushin, Brian Call, Shed Hunter , and the YouTube podcast crowd. More than a few of the above took money from AZFG to promote the OTC hunts that are now shutdown. They can all pound sand until some apologies come out .

Newberg , Shockey, and Jay Scott for me. They seem genuine about it.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth for the likes of Hushin, Brian Call, Shed Hunter , and the YouTube podcast crowd. More than a few of the above took money from AZFG to promote the OTC hunts that are now shutdown. They can all pound sand until some apologies come out .
Shockey is definitely "genuine" but I think that shows he has some anger management issues, especially toward his employees. I've seen a couple episodes when he laid into a guide a little "overzealously".

Last edited:
I had three. They have all passed and their stuff is out of print, but you can find it and read it if you look hard enough. They are hard bound books, and just as relevant today as they were written. The first is Bob Hagel's book. He goes into depth about handloading, what works and doesn't. And it is filled with the same thing on hunting North American game. It should be required reading even today for and hunter who wants to handload ammunition.
Both of P.O. Ackley's books. Load data in them is dated with all the new powders available, but filled with information on wildcatting.
Last was Keith's book. Well written with lots of stories. Written by a great man.
I cannot take stock in any TV show. They are NOT instructional. They are entertaining. Shooter is always at a different angle than camera and they always appear to shoot at the wrong time. They overcall, and do many things that you cannot get away with yourself.

If you are interested in Africa Robert Ruark's books are a fantastic read. You literally cannot put them down. Use Enough Gun was my favorite.
There is some more current stuff out there on hunting, loading and ballistics, but I feel if you haven't read and soaked in the above works you will be missing so much of the base knowledge you need to apply they properly.
I have read Bob Hagel's book you refer four times cover to cover since the late seventies, and use his strategies with great success.