Who is your favorite hunting influencer?

Absolutely. Rob Ruark's books were my growing guide with small game and I read Jack O'Connor every month, starting when I was 12. I never met Ruark, but his relatives lived 2 doors from me. Papa gave the adventure, but the real influence was O'Connor, who forced me into my first rifle.

Tom Brown for real "hunting". His books on woodlore, stalking and living off the land have been good for me. Boy Scouts in the early sixties taught us to walk quietly, read sign and be smooth but my greatest influence by far is my grandfather. He was a true 1st generation US born Viking born in 1890, northern Minnesota when you had to hunt and farm successfully to survive. He bought a Winchester 94 30-30 in 1900 and hunted to feed neighbors and families who were in need as well as his own families. He became well known throughout the area as a go-to young man for anything one needed help with. He served in the Navy WWI in France, became a G-Man during prohibition and stayed with the US Treasury Dept. until he retired in 1960. He taught me much more than how to hunt, he taught me about life, integrity and how be a man where if your word alone was no good, a hand shake didn't matter. He never owned a piece of camo but knew that good wool was king of cold weather and his Woolrich red and black plaid coat broke up his outline enough to work. His 30-30 was plenty of gun for everything from bear, moose, mule deer and whitetail. I miss him still.

All of my influencers have passed. Perhaps the earliest was Daniel Boone, though I didn't know him well.....I was pretty young then!

All of my influencers have passed. Perhaps the earliest was Daniel Boone, though I didn't know him well.....I was pretty young then! 🤣 memtb
That's pretty dam funny ! In all seriousness , what was Jeremiah Johnson like ? 😉

Hi Folks, I recently put together this list of the best hunting influencers. It's currently a small list and I am looking to add more people to it. If you have an influencer or a blog you love, please leave a comment below and let me know. I would love to add them to the list!
Randy Newberg is a great guy, down to earth, personable and gives good advice/info. Corey Jacobsen is a friend of mine and also salt of the earth. I have met and talked with most of Epic Outdoors guys and find them very approachable and easy to talk to; always great info and act real-just like my hunting partners.

I grew up digesting the rivalry between Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith. The former coming from academia and the latter from the school of hard knocks. Both had their points but ultimately I think O'Connor was the more authentic. Keith seemed to become more angry and bombastic towards the end, although he certainly had some amazing adventures along the way. His "Hell, I was there!" was certainly a good read.
For their humor and warmth, I also really enjoyed the many and varied works of Gene Hill, too. Splendid reads about dogs and life afield. For his often timely eloquence, Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and The Boy" series in Field and Stream afforded me the pleasures of experiencing a bygone era and the essences of growing up hunting and fishing in "The South" that was foreign to a native-born Californian. When I wasn't hunting or fishing myself growing up, I loved reading about them through the eyes of a so-called "peer". From jack knives to first guns, to first duck and first deer, they were and remain memorable moments.

Last edited:
Cameron Hanes and Joe Rogan are two I'm not seeing. While maybe controversial they've probably introduced more to hunting (bow hunting mostly) than any out there over the past decade.
Randy Ulmer, Fred Eichler, are other good ones

Love the lists, some of my top I've seen mentioned:
Remi Warren
Jim Shockey
Randy Newberg
Jason Carter

My biggest influencer is just simply me. I have lusted after all hunting since I was as young as I can remember and have carried a gun of some sort for hunting since I was 8 years old.
This is the closest that I can relate to thus far. And for this reason, I started both my sons shooting at 5YO and hunting at 10YO (with their own license), now 30 and 33 YO.

My buddy Dave, my Dad wasn't much for hunting after Vietnam. I always loved the idea of hunting and shooting, but Dad just wasn't into it. I didn't start big game hunting until was 19, and took a hiatus until I was 25 while on active duty. I met Dave in my 30's and he helped me plan my first AK black bear hunt. We've hunted together at least one big game hunt since 2003. His youngest son and my daughter are a week apart in age and have started hunting deer together at 9 years old and are really good friends.

I liked to watch Tred Barta, he always seemed like he enjoyed what he was doing and one he'll of a fisherman. I also like Randy Newberg, but I don't follow him regularly. I really like Randy when he talks on things like remote scouting for big game, and shows me new ways to use technology to be successful. I really don't like watching other people hunt and most of the shows sponsors, it's mainly all fluff to sell crap I don't need.