Who has the best shooting rest for LR hunting

I use an innorel 80c Tripod with triclawps clamp. Works well for me and doesn't break the bank.
I've got the big Innorel for play.....

7URkVII.jpg

I have been using The Ultimate Tripod by McFadden Machine. It weighs 14 lbs and has a carrying strap. You can shoot from sitting up to standing. The top swivel portion is removable and can be used from a bench if needed.

I'm not sure what type of hunting you're doing, but this really works out well for PD and ground squirrels.

6c4439209e64a271e00293b05d33b700.jpg

bc8b470c35e2b0dfcbf51a494335065b.jpg

I tend to cross my trekking poles for a front rest if I can't use a bipod. I'm carrying them anyway, so I might as well get double use out of them. If I can, I use my pack as a rear rest under the buttstock and my shoulder. Tripods are great if you want to carry them. I have also found that a good sling can work well if you don't have anything else, or don't have the time to get out what you brought. Any way you choose to go, try to get as much practice as you can getting set up; even if you aren't shooting, practice getting into field positions makes it that much easier to do when the time comes for a shot.

After a lot of different options we have tried, this is the best one we have come up with. View attachment 155991

ARCA rail on the bottom, mounted to your tripod for your spotter. Can go from 4" up to off hand up hill, and is very steady. Throw a pack or cross sticks under the rear in sitting position, and 700+ yard shots are about as easy as prone on a bipod.
This is quite similar to my set-up. Folds up to 24"x5" and weighs 5#. RRS head fits either an ARCA or PIC rail. Very steady!
AA86A206-EB10-436B-BC86-0C696AC207FD.jpeg

For a light weight setup checkout Phoenix Shooting bags. I've been carrying them on Elk and Coues deer hunts now for a few years. I practice off them as well. Very light, easy to carry. The Tony Bag of Donuts bag is just about the most versatile bag I e ever seen.

Check out their videos.

Alf...The 90 is solid as a rock for sure. I went with the 80 simply for backpacking and weight savings but plan on getting the 90 for around the house predator hunting.
Yea, the 90 is a horse, 8 1/2 lbs with the Hog Saddle on top, but I never planned on hauling it much past the back of the truck or ATV. Especially since I bought the other one for packing, mainly for coyotes.

YXOyCcR.jpg

After a lot of different options we have tried, this is the best one we have come up with. View attachment 155991

ARCA rail on the bottom, mounted to your tripod for your spotter. Can go from 4" up to off hand up hill, and is very steady. Throw a pack or cross sticks under the rear in sitting position, and 700+ yard shots are about as easy as prone on a bipod.
What make is it?

We have seen many types of bipods, tripods, bags, truck mirrors etc used to get steady at our "long distance" steel range. There are many thousands of way better shooters than us but we have noticed some patterns.
It all comes down to expectations for each individual. If someone is only shooting a couple hundred yards there are lots of acceptable options.
If there is high wind,or other variances it really starts to show which "devices" have inherent stability issues. At the same time the further one is expecting to shoot the more challenging to stay steady within the "target".
Most steady to least steady:
-RRS ballhead system prone followed by seated then standing positions
- other arca/rail systems in positions above... RRS has the best ballhead movement/ retention system currently
- tripod saddle type system. They are way better than sticks, high raised bipods, etc but still have shakiness that is visible when going beyond 500 yards. We can make the shot in steel but it takes the right locking in with slings etc.
- Bipods prone
-Long bipods seated, hopefully with your back against something
-sticks for both front and rear rests
-Sticks with front rest only are probably tied with truck mirror, fence posts, logs,
- kneeling position no rest
- standing position

- worst position... any of the above with large trophy animal walking away out of sight while your partners are screaming for you to shoot which is only slightly louder than the hurricane of internal thoughts/emotions scrambling your brain as you try to get steady.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.