Who has gone on an Alaskan Caribou drop camp/fly in hunt.

Bob L.

Who has paid to be outfitted or flown in for a Caribou hunt in Alaska? Seems like there are a ton of guides that will do this. Basically outfit the gear or fly you in and the hunting is on you. Please share people that were good and people to avoid and your experience. Seems like a somewhat affordable way to enjoy Alaska and Caribou.
Thanks

Michael, Talon hunts the mulchatna and I think that is resident only this year. That herd is way down might want to check and see what they are doing now for success. Sure easy access from the airport though.

Send me a message and I will help you get on some caribou.

Michael, Talon hunts the mulchatna and I think that is resident only this year. That herd is way down might want to check and see what they are doing now for success. Sure easy access from the airport though.

Send me a message and I will help you get on some caribou.

Well you got me on that one! It use to be 5 caribou limit for residents and 2 for non-residents. It has been quite a few years since the last time I was involved in the Illiamna caribou.

Sorry bout that!

M

We went a few years ago we saw alot of boos the first day but becouse you can't hunt and fly the same day when we woke the next am we saw only a few we had one herd litterly come in to camp we all got our boos but it was tough packing them in the swampy muskeg if I may make some suggestions bring a satellite phone you can rent them cheep we filled all our tags in the first 3 days and waited for the plane for four more if we had a phone we could have called Alaska air taxi and been fishing instead of sunbathing also make sure you are around mountains or high.ground so you can see them coming and you are not camped in a swamp and sinking up to your knees all the time

Jeff,
What Caribou herd are you hunting. That is the big thing I am worried about, what use to be great herds in years past might be a crappy hunt nowadays.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.