Caribou hunt question

Ok, I was AF weather, and had to do QA on the contracts for the contractor now over all LRS in AK. Well at least the one before the current company took them over. I never got to go to Libsburn, and right before I retire in 2018, they had a contractor die when he drove the plow truck off the road to Top Camp there.

It's a long way down into Caribou Valley. We had track vehicle back then to ferry stuff.

It's a long way down into Caribou Valley. We had track vehicle back then to ferry stuff.
Last I knew hunting is no longer allowed by military members there. The same is probably true for the contractors as well, but they are all ran by contractors now days.

You don't say where you want to hunt.

Note that the caribou population across much of Canada has plummeted in the last 15-20 years, and it's not at all what it used to be. Do some hard looking before committing.

Off-topic question: Are caribou tough like elk or are they more like deer? Curious about what caliber rifle would/should be used.
I've always hunted caribou with a .270 Winchester. I've shot four over the years and none of them ever took a step after they were hit. Two Boone and Crockets. Average range, from point blank to 250 yards. George River outfitters are the guys I've used twice. The Paquette brothers . The guides work hard and we've always flown from Schefferville to Chateaugay lake. 40 or 50 years ago, everybody on the hunt would shoot a pair of trophy bulls. Since then, in the last 20 years, the herds are become fractured and less predictable. That's the way it was on my last hunt and we did move to another lake by pontoon plane. Some people say global warming, others say due to our strategic air command planes doing maneuvers up there and breaking the sound barrier. Who knows. Also, black bear abound.