Caribou hunt question

Dirtdevil

I am planning on doing a caribou hunt in the near future. Just starting to talk to outfitters. I'm looking for a few guys with past experiences with that kind of trip that can give me some advice on what to look for I know it all depends on migration. Are there guides that will move you if your in the wrong spot ? Is it just luck of the draw ? Let's hear your advice

Some outfitters will move you, others won't.
Some of them are constantly flying clients in and out and may have people that will be watching the migration, so they know where they are at any given time. That said, Caribou can move great distances in short periods of time so they could be in one area one day and completely gone the next.
Best to ask your outfitter what their policy is with regards to checking in with you and moving you if you aren't seeing anything. I personally wouldn't and haven't hired an outfitter who wouldn't move me if needed.
I also asked for references and called or emailed as many as I thought was needed to get a good idea about the quality and professionalism of the outfitter. I not only asked about their experience with the outfitter, but the quality of the animals and the numbers they saw, and asked if they had been moved, how frequently the outfitter made contact, if they were able to fly in/out the day they had planned and if not, why.
You should also ask the outfitter what kind of aircraft they are using and how much they allow a person to take. Also, ask what their hunting area is like (terrain, water source etc.) and how many other outfitters are putting people in the same area.
It's also helpful to know if they are providing fully outfitted camps or if all equipment etc. is on you to provide.

Last edited:
Some outfitters will move you, others won't.
Some of them are constantly flying clients in and out and may have people that will be watching the migration, so they know where they are at any given time. That said, Caribou can move great distances in short periods of time so they could be in one area one day and completely gone the next.
Best to ask your outfitter what their policy is with regards to checking in with you and moving you if you aren't seeing anything. I personally wouldn't and haven't hired an outfitter who wouldn't move me if needed.
I also asked for references and called or emailed as many as I thought was needed to get a good idea about the quality and professionalism of the outfitter. I not only asked about their experience with the outfitter, but the quality of the animals and the numbers they saw, and asked if they had been moved, how frequently the outfitter made contact, if they were able to fly in/out the day they had planned and if not, why.
You should also ask the outfitter what kind of aircraft they are using and how much they allow a person to take. Also, ask what their hunting area is like (terrain, water source etc.) and how many other outfitters are putting people in the same area.
It's also helpful to know if they are providing fully outfitted camps or if all equipment etc. is on you to provide.
Off-topic question: Are caribou tough like elk or are they more like deer? Curious about what caliber rifle would/should be used.

Off-topic question: Are caribou tough like elk or are they more like deer? Curious about what caliber rifle would/should be used.

Took this one in 74 with 30-06, irons, 180 Silvertip. Cape Lisburne. DIY.

20220809_120433.jpg

As has been mentioned, Caribou are not generally hard to kill. In my experience if you are hunting in an area with a lot of open tundra and not much cover, the shots can be long so a couple of things I recommend: take a gun you are comfortable shooting and practice out to 500 yards or longer if you can. Make sure you know the energy at the given distance you determine is your max is still sufficient to kill, and practice as much as you can from various shooting positions.
I carry trekking poles with me and find they are very good shooting sticks if cross the wrist straps over the handle on the opposite pole and they are a huge help with heavy loads, especially going downhill. I don't carry a bipod anymore since I use my poles.

Can't speak on the outfitter side of things, but caribou don't take much to kill. We had a large local herd before unchecked predators decimated them. Lots of fond memories doing family subsistence hunts as a kid. Always amazed me how much easier they were to kill than elk. I'd guess anything reasonable cartridge wise would suffice.

While I shot my 300 WinMag, because that's what I use for most things, wasn't necessary.

Another thing to think of, if you want to bring home meat, is go early. Once they're in the rut, butchers in AK won't even butcher them. Recommend you give the meat to the mushers. At least that's what they told us.

Drill down on equipment:

1. What kind of tents? How new are they?
  2. What kind of cooking gear?
  3. Types of food
  4. Water supply; flown in, or filtered, and if so, are back-up filters available?
  5. If grizzly territory, do they have electric fence?
  6. DO NOT have your taxidermy done there; very expensive with no recourse if something is wrong
If I did it again, I would take my own high-quality gear as our tents were crap, the stove was minimally functional, and the only water filter was clogged.

If I was doing a guided hunt i would ideally want references from someone who wasn't a client. Thats highly unlikely so I would want to talk to 2-3 both successful and unsuccessful clients. I would want to know how and why the unsuccessful ones hunt went even more than successful ones.

Yes, RADAR Tech at Top Camp. Nov 73 -Nov 74

View attachment 506901
Ok, I was AF weather, and had to do QA on the contracts for the contractor now over all LRS in AK. Well at least the one before the current company took them over. I never got to go to Libsburn, and right before I retire in 2018, they had a contractor die when he drove the plow truck off the road to Top Camp there.