Caribou Hunt

I talked to a northern B C outfitter the other day - $28,000. But Caribou quotas have pushed availability out 4 or 5 years. And no grizzly huntinng anymore.
Now Stone Sheep is $40k to $85k or more.
wow that's nuts. I think Alaska is quite a bit cheaper for caribou but still has went up a lot recently. Even if I were rich, hunting caribou just is not worth $28k to me. With airfare and other incidentals you'd be into a caribou hunt over $30k. And I love hunting them. Went to AK in 2005 and it was amazing and I shot 2 nice ones around 350" and a nice black bear. I was in about $4500 total on that including bush planes, flying the meat out, guide tip etc…

Last edited:
I went for Moose in central BC in mid -80's for $2500. Now $7k lower BC, $14k upper half BC, $28k top of BC into Yukon.

No need to spend high dollar for anything to kill a Caribou. Just let Uncle Sam pay for your trip and stay for 1 year in the Arctic. And have the opportunity to watch and monitor what Ivan is doing across the Straight. No fancy boots, no fancy clothing, greens over thermals, Chuck Taylors over wool socks, and plain iron sighted 30-06 will "Git R Done."

20220809_120433.jpg

Summer 1974. Arctic Ocean in the background.

Last edited:
Was at Reno Sheep show this year, earliest available stone hunt was 2025. $70,000 -105,000 was the price spread. Many of the north country hunts booked out several years.
Did a dyi caribou with my son out of Fairbanks in 2021. 2 bulls each at around $7000 each. Bush flight was $3800. Great trip but getting more and more expensive. Current bush flights to access backcountry canadian hunting operations running $1500-3000!