Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

With a good brake on a 338 Lapua and a 338-378 you really can't even tell the difference.
I have shot extremely accurate with 338-378's and 300 gr SMK even in a stock accumark rifle .3's the bigger weatherby round is definitely going to shoot flatter and have considerably more energy. I would go min 28 inch barrel plus brake.

Very interesting. Cheaper base rifle and you can buy a brand new barreled action from weatherby. I have not been able to find one for the lapua.

Can you buy these without the accubrake barrel? i dont intend to keep the barrel or the stock. I will put these on ebay or something. If i could find an action only that would be great, hell just the receiver would be nice i can buy a bolt. Cost is an issue but only a small one I am willing to pay for what I want weather or not it takes longer to build i have nothing but time. i wish i could find more information about the .338-378. Am I just hopping on the Lapua train?

So why would you buy one in 338 Lapua or 338-378 and then toss the barrel and stock without shooting it first? The whole idea behind the Accumark is to have a factory long range rig.

Otherwise find a donor for $500 or so and build the rifle you think you want.

So why would you buy one in 338 Lapua or 338-378 and then toss the barrel and stock without shooting it first? The whole idea behind the Accumark is to have a factory long range rig.

Otherwise find a donor for $500 or so and build the rifle you think you want.

Please point me in the direction of said $500 donor I have searched for months for a mark v and cant find a break

between the lapua and the 338-378 aside from recoil what are the pros and cons of each in your experiences?

There is no doubt that the 338/378 will out Velocity the 338 lapua with the same pressure loads
because of the 20+ grains of capacity, But that is where it ends. Brass for the 338/378 is $3.89 each
and the Lapua brass is $2.57 each. It doesent make sense with the Lapua brass being better.

I am a big fan of the big Weatherbys and especally there actions but there ammo and reloading
componants have priced me out of building any more of them and moving to something else.

I still have,and shoot a 30/378 and fortunately have a lifetime supply of brass for it but I will not
build myself another one.

I have had very good luck with the 338 RUM and It will match the ballistics of the Lapua but the
brass doesent last as long. I am testing a wildcat that approaches the case capacity of the 338/378
and the parent brass is $.97 cents a round.

There are some 338 Lapua wildcats that are outstanding both in accuracy and velocity and combined
with great brass, you would be hard pressed to find something better.

A 338 RUM AI or a 338 AI Lapua will have enough case capacity to do anything you want, And the
standard 338 RUM or Lapua will also without the wild cat issues.

I do not recomend buying a complete rifle for accuracy and just shooting it even though occasionally
you may find a shooter. I feel you can build a better rifle because of the premium barrels and the
blueprinting of the action by a competent Smith.

A good Mark V action for a don er will run you $700.00 minimum.

You ask for opinions and this is mine. Build what you want and live with your decision.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I really appreciate that advise I don't want to compromise accuracy or distance. Before I joined what I had in mind is a mark v .338 lapua, stainless steel 28 to 30" barrel, very little contour, fluted, with a fat bastard muzzle brake,viper optics, and a wildcat style thumb hole laminated stock and a bi-pod. At the price for the brass and the amount that I shoot, the extra expense in the rifle will quickly equal out in brass.

Please point me in the direction of said $500 donor I have searched for months for a mark v and cant find a break

I've purchased them on Gunbroker. Right now there are some at or under the $700 level, but they do surface for $500. GunAuction has one no reserve under $500 at present.

To follow up on JE's comment, I don't doubt you can build a better rifle than an off-the-shelf Accumark, but at what cost? The Accumark is generally well known to be an accurate rifle just as the Remington Sendero. I don't believe that you mention the distance you want to be able to shoot, but that would also help determine your best route. 600 yards is different from 1500 yards.

Or just buy this one:
Weatherby Mark V 338 Lapua Magnum Tactical Rifle : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

I've purchased them on Gunbroker. Right now there are some at or under the $700 level, but they do surface for $500. GunAuction has one no reserve under $500 at present.

To follow up on JE's comment, I don't doubt you can build a better rifle than an off-the-shelf Accumark, but at what cost? The Accumark is generally well known to be an accurate rifle just as the Remington Sendero. I don't believe that you mention the distance you want to be able to shoot, but that would also help determine your best route. 600 yards is different from 1500 yards.

Or just buy this one:
Weatherby Mark V 338 Lapua Magnum Tactical Rifle : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

yeah im going to build. i want 1000+ yards gun)

I just did what you are talking about doing, I bought a mark v weathermark for $800 it was a 300 wby. I ordered the mag box, the follower and the extractor from wby for another $100. Add in a new stock for $400. I went with a bartlien 1 in 9.3 twist 338 barrel carbon wrapped by proof research that finished up at 27.5 inches, and a muscle brake style titanium brake. We chambered it to 338-378 wby but with no freebore. i went with this chamber choice for the reasons mentioned before and also because the guys I shoot with shoot lapuas and lapua improveds. I have been very impressed with their rifles and I don't think my choice is better but it is "different" and so we still have something to argue about! I am only 9 shots in and the weather has been to cold to get out much, but I will say the chrono numbers were even better than I had hoped! Time will tell if I made the right choice but for now it is fun to find out. With the cost involved the accu mark in 338-378 may be the best place to start, at least you could play with this caliber while you gather all the parts for the rest of the build . good luck to you.

I really appreciate that advise I don't want to compromise accuracy or distance. Before I joined what I had in mind is a mark v .338 lapua, stainless steel 28 to 30" barrel, very little contour, fluted, with a fat bastard muzzle brake,viper optics, and a wildcat style thumb hole laminated stock and a bi-pod. At the price for the brass and the amount that I shoot, the extra expense in the rifle will quickly equal out in brass.

For more information on this, Do a Search for = Autorotate under Threads and he has one with lots of details.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.