which .338 to build

Brien

there is so many out there its hard for me to decide and there are too many variables in lots of reading with barrel length descrepencies so i would like to know .....
338 lapua.. 338/300rum imp. ... 330 dakota...
or jsut a straight up 338 rum...
i would like to have some velocities and such .. i think i would rather shoot the 250 lapua or smk most of the time... i will probably go with a 30 " barrel in whichever one i go with... so which one should it be???
many thanx..
Brien

With a 30" barrel I get 3000 fps in a 338 Lapua using Black Hills factory ammo loaded with the 300 gr MK. My handloads are about 50 fps slower.
A 338 RUM will be close to this but a little slower.
However the 300 Impr necked to 338 will beat the standard Lapua due to bigger case capacity. But then there is the 338 Lapua improved or the 338/416 Improved.
Do a search on them here- there is a ton of info....

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

I like the 338 Lapua or a IMP version. I would put a brake on it and am having my 3rd one built this one is going to be a light gun for 1k BR and hunting.
Crow Mag

Let me make it easy on you...there is NO choice. 338 Lapua. There you go.
smile.gif

What action are you building on? The RUM is a little easier on some actions than the Lapua, and if you think it's slow (?!) then you could always go with an improved case. You'll have plenty of power with any of these rounds. But if you're looking for the fastest, there'll always be someone faster, or with a longer barrel, or whatever.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.