Which 6.5 to build

What I am really thinking about is a 6.5/.270. Much easier to form than 06, brass readily available. High pressure cartridge. Like the data. Plus still related to .270!!!!!
You are just doing a 6.5 06. that way.
Go with already made 6.5 X 284 with Lapua Brass
You can use a short action or get a med action, if you can find, one or just go with a long action.
depends on your bullet and COAL
I just purchased a BAT MB dual port 308 bolt face for our 6.5X284 for "F" Class along with a Krieger 31" Barrel 1:8 4 Grove.
Just waiting on the reamers from JGS and then the Dies from Whidden. Already have McMillan XIT stocks, optics NF 7X35 Atarac. Spur Mounts, Bix & Andy Triggers. H-1000, Retumbo, H-4831SC, RL-26, BR-2 Primers, Lapua Brass. Building several "F" Class and ELR rifles (338LMAI)
Just waiting to turn on the electricity on our new GS shop with all new new lathes, mills, saws, presses and then the Cerakoate operation.
I am going in for an operation where they are implanting electrodes in my spinal nerves (neck) next week 11/06/21
Hopefully this procedure will keep me going. We have a first class operation in place for custom match chambering with all new state of the art equipment.
After the operation I plan on getting back to chambering rifles and Jill Cerakoating parts.
God bless everyone
Len & Jill

I am going in for an operation where they are implanting electrodes in my spinal nerves (neck) next week 11/06/21
Hopefully this procedure will keep me going.
First, All the best and prayers for speedy recovery! I sympathize with what you are going through. I am not there yet but getting closer.

I have always liked the 6.5x284 since day 1! I would use mid or LA but leaning towards mid. I am probably going to go that route someday since brass is off the shelf! KISS works for 6.5's. The builds sound fantastic!

First, All the best and prayers for speedy recovery! I sympathize with what you are going through. I am not there yet but getting closer.

I have always liked the 6.5x284 since day 1! I would use mid or LA but leaning towards mid. I am probably going to go that route someday since brass is off the shelf! KISS works for 6.5's. The builds sound fantastic!
Thanks!!!

I have fallen in love with 6.5mm cartridges.
I have/had quite a few.
And am still building more of them.
Here is the list of 6.5s that I have/had. I would recommend any of them depending on wants/needs. For deer/pronghorn out to 500, and of the smaller case capacity 6.5s would do just fine with bullets in the 130-140 class. If you want to stretch it way out on game, a faster twist bigger case to push the 140-156s would fit the bill nicely.
I have shot several others as well but never owned them (*).

Small case 6.5s:
6.5x47L*
6.5 CM
.260 Rem
6.5 SLR (one of my favorites in the smaller case size lineup, my daughter's too)
.260AI (just waiting on my reamer for this one)

Larger case 6.5s:
6.5PRC*
6.5-.284 Norma*
6.5-06AI*
6.5SST*
6.5SS
6.5SAUM*
.264WM*
26 Nosler*
6.5-.300WBY*

To me, and I own several 6.5SSs, there is not a need for the extra speed under 600 yards on deer-sized game. Dead is dead, and the extra speed makes for less drop and drift, and a bit more energy on target.

If you want to shoot it, a lot, for practice and hunting, stick to a smaller case cartridge. Strictly hunting? Go bigger. But the extra speed has is drawbacks, so be aware of these factors.

I've done two 6.5 SAUMs & one 6.5 PRC in the middle of doing the ttwo SAUMs. If you think you would want to rely on factory ammo, go with the PRC. Otherwise I like the 6.5 SAUM. I've never had a 264 wm but I would definitely like to try one.
I'll keep you in mind when I finish my 264wm build. Last I checked MidSouth had Norma 264wm brass.

You are just doing a 6.5 06. that way.
Go with already made 6.5 X 284 with Lapua Brass
You can use a short action or get a med action, if you can find, one or just go with a long action.
depends on your bullet and COAL
I just purchased a BAT MB dual port 308 bolt face for our 6.5X284 for "F" Class along with a Krieger 31" Barrel 1:8 4 Grove.
Just waiting on the reamers from JGS and then the Dies from Whidden. Already have McMillan XIT stocks, optics NF 7X35 Atarac. Spur Mounts, Bix & Andy Triggers. H-1000, Retumbo, H-4831SC, RL-26, BR-2 Primers, Lapua Brass. Building several "F" Class and ELR rifles (338LMAI)
Just waiting to turn on the electricity on our new GS shop with all new new lathes, mills, saws, presses and then the Cerakoate operation.
Hopefully this procedure will keep me going. We have a first class operation in place for custom match chambering with all new state of the art equipment.
After the operation I plan on getting back to chambering rifles and Jill Cerakoating parts.
God bless everyone
Len & Jill
I've had plates put in from c3 to c7 back in 4/5/15 and thought about what you are doing also. Keep me informed. Sorry for the somewhat off topic! Hope your pain goes away!

I have/had quite a few.
Here is the list of 6.5s that I have/had. I would recommend any of them depending on wants/needs. For deer/pronghorn out to 500, and of the smaller case capacity 6.5s would do just fine with bullets in the 130-140 class. If you want to stretch it way out on game, a faster twist bigger case to push the 140-156s would fit the bill nicely.

Small case 6.5s:
6.5x47L*
6.5 CM
.260 Rem
6.5 SLR (one of my favorites in the smaller case size lineup, my daughter's too)

Larger case 6.5s:
6.5PRC*
6.5-.284 Norma*
6.5-06AI*
6.5SST*
6.5SS
6.5SAUM*
.264WM*
26 Nosler*
6.5-.300WBY*

To me, and I own several 6.5SSs, there is not a need for the extra speed under 600 yards on deer-sized game. Dead is dead, and the extra speed makes for less drop and drift, and a bit more energy on target.

If you want to shoot it, a lot, for practice and hunting, stick to a smaller case cartridge. Strictly hunting? Go bigger. But the extra speed has is drawbacks, so be aware of these factors.
Very nice list, Lance! I started my two sons hunting at age 10 YO with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser Carl Gustaf carbine, older than our venerable .30-06. They are very accurate and have a mild recoiling chamber/rifle set-up. I also have a 6.5 CM and .264 WM; I guess it satisfies my .26/6.5 cal craving for now. 😇

I would go somewhere between a 6.5cm and a 6.5-284. Thats pretty much the happy zone in the 6.5's. Fast enough to be effective but still easy to tune.

My fave would be the 260ai, run at a 2.9-3" oal. But I don't know there is a bad choice out of the 6.5-284, prc, rpm, saum, CM size cases. The action you choose will somewhat make the decision for you.

I have/had quite a few.

Small case 6.5s:
6.5x47L*
6.5 CM
.260 Rem

Larger case 6.5s:
6.5PRC*
6.5-.284 Norma*
6.5-06AI*
6.5SST*
6.5SS
6.5SAUM*
.264WM*
26 Nosler*
6.5-.300WBY*

I just thought I was a 6.5 junkie. :D

I currently have:
6.5 Grendel (x2)
6.5x47L
260 Remington (x2)
260AI
6.5-284
264 Win Mag (in process, waiting on reamer from Manson)

I may still build a 6.5SAUM at some point or maybe a 6.5 Sherman of some variant.