Might be getting a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight

The 240 had a pencil barrel and the wood stock was thinned quite a bit compared to a standard mark V. It was very light and the stock fit me perfectly.
For me and that particular rifle, I decided it didnt make alot of sense for where I hunted . I didnt need the ultra light weight because my hike to hunt my meat field wasn't bad and there was no need for much extra gear . I stayed with my 270 savage for the extra weight to help steady the average 250-300ish yard shot from odd rested, often offhand positions. I wish I had bought it anyway now, just because it felt so good . Hindsight 20 20, right ?

What makes it an Ultralight ? I was wondering if I could swap a Laminate stock onto it to add a little weight. I love Hogue stocks, but they don't have one for a Mark V, and I'm not sure a Hogue on a Mark V wouldn't be blasphemous lol
I think a hogue on anything is blasphemous . But just like fart exits, everyone has an opinion, lol.

The 240 had a pencil barrel and the wood stock was thinned quite a bit compared to a standard mark V. It was very light and the stock fit me perfectly.
For me and that particular rifle, I decided it didnt make alot of sense for where I hunted . I didnt need the ultra light weight because my hike to hunt my meat field wasn't bad and there was no need for much extra gear . I stayed with my 270 savage for the extra weight to help steady the average 250-300ish yard shot from odd rested, often offhand positions. I wish I had bought it anyway now, just because it felt so good . Hindsight 20 20, right ?
Sounds like a varmint master
Would have been a cool rifle to snag

I think a hogue on anything is blasphemous . But just like fart exits, everyone has an opinion, lol.
I really like Hogues.

Ruger M77 MkII .338 Win Mag
PB_1573443681330.jpg

Ruger M77 MkII .300 Win Mag
20191119_184023.jpg

I've ran upon what I think is a great deal. A Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in .300 Wby Mag. I already have a .300 Win Mag, but I've always wanted a Mark V. It's got a few battle scars (minor scratches) but it is a beauty, and $650 makes it impossible for me to pass up. I believe it is a 26" barrel and a Accu-Brake.

Anyone have anything to say about this style rifle? If you were me, would you get it, even though you already have a .30 mag? I believe its 200 fps better than the Win Mag, correct?

Please give me your thoughts.

View attachment 159114 View attachment 159115 View attachment 159116
terrible deal. You better give me the seller's name and contact info so I can yell at them for you ;) haha just kidding. that is really a great deal assuming the barrel is not shot out and the rifle shoots well.

terrible deal. You better give me the seller's name and contact info so I can yell at them for you ;) haha just kidding. that is really a great deal assuming the barrel is not shot out and the rifle shoots well.
I appreciate you willing to take up for me, that is so generous! You go ahead and send me an Accumark and I'll give you his name :D

I really like Hogues.

Ruger M77 MkII .338 Win Mag
View attachment 159735

Ruger M77 MkII .300 Win Mag
View attachment 159736
You and alot of other people too. I have one sitting in the closet that I picked up used a while back. It had been opened up for a m24 barrel and the magpul det mag setup. It is too soft and floppy for my liking.
To each their own. I didnt mean any disrespect to your stock choice .

You and alot of other people too. I have one sitting in the closet that I picked up used a while back. It had been opened up for a m24 barrel and the magpul det mag setup. It is too soft and floppy for my liking.
To each their own. I didnt mean any disrespect to your stock choice .
Oh, no disrespect taken. Both of the guns pictured shoot sub-moa. I just use the pillar bed stocks, but if you don't want it giving, get the full length bedding block.

Edit: Would a stock from an Accumark fit on the Ultralight? I honestly know nothing about Weatherby actions.

Last edited:
6-lug action, fluted Criterion barrel, light weight, aluminum bedded B&C stock. 5 and 3/4 pounds. Available in several standard cartridges (mine was a .280 Rem.) and the 240 WBY.

To clarify,

The Mark V Ultra Lightweight models have 9 lug actions, fluted barrels, B&C stock with aluminum at the pillars (they're not actually bedded) and are available in a variety of cartridges, including Weatherby magnums.

The 6 lug action you refer to is not an Ultralight. It is and has been used for many standard cartridges, but has never been referred to by Weatherby as the Ultralight or Ultra Lightweight. However, the 6 lug action is the basis of the brand new Backcountry series so in a way it has become the "Ultra Ultra" Lightweight of Mark V's.

And yes, an Accumark stock would fit an Ultra Lightweight. Note that the barrel would then be floated due to the larger barrel channel, and the rifle would be a bit heavier. The Accumark stock is a bit wider in the fore end and has a full length aluminum bedding block.

Mark V's will have a 9 lug action in a magnum chambering (excluding 240 Wby) and a 6 lug action in a standard chambering (including the 240). I'm not sure if stocks for 6-lug and 9-lug actions are interchangeable, but I would doubt it, since most parts you buy for these guns specify which action. A stock off a 9-lug Accumark should work with 9-lug UL barreled action, but the barrel profile on an ultra light will be significantly smaller and may look strange in the Accumark stock. That barrel would be very free-floated though.

Mark V's will have a 9 lug action in a magnum chambering (excluding 240 Wby) and a 6 lug action in a standard chambering (including the 240). I'm not sure if stocks for 6-lug and 9-lug actions are interchangeable, but I would doubt it, since most parts you buy for these guns specify which action. A stock off a 9-lug Accumark should work with 9-lug UL barreled action, but the barrel profile on an ultra light will be significantly smaller and may look strange in the Accumark stock. That barrel would be very free-floated though.
I asked him just to be sure, and it is 9 lug. On B&C's website, they list the 6 and 9 stocks separately.

The only thing I have not verified is if it has freebore like the stock barrel.

To clarify,

The Mark V Ultra Lightweight models have 9 lug actions, fluted barrels, B&C stock with aluminum at the pillars (they're not actually bedded) and are available in a variety of cartridges, including Weatherby magnums.

The 6 lug action you refer to is not an Ultralight. It is and has been used for many standard cartridges, but has never been referred to by Weatherby as the Ultralight or Ultra Lightweight. However, the 6 lug action is the basis of the brand new Backcountry series so in a way it has become the "Ultra Ultra" Lightweight of Mark V's.

And yes, an Accumark stock would fit an Ultra Lightweight. Note that the barrel would then be floated due to the larger barrel channel, and the rifle would be a bit heavier. The Accumark stock is a bit wider in the fore end and has a full length aluminum bedding block.
That little 240 was probably produced in the early 90s . We also sold the fluted stainless, fiberglass stocked "ultra light" too. We had one in 257 that was sweet. The 240 was unique with its unfluted barrel and walnut stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.