Weatherby Mark V .300 weatherby

The one in my profile pick is a Winchester chambered for the .300 Weatherby. ($279.00 34 years ago) still driving .24" groups at 100 yrds. Over the years I added a thumbhole Boyds stock and a muzzle break.
168 Grn. Barnes TTXS on top of 84.0 grains of IMR 7828, just over 3300 fps.
I have one of those, but not loaded for it yet. Something to think about. Thanks Huntintoo

Congratulations on your purchase. From what I've heard the range certified rifles are hand-picked rifles that shoot a little tighter than the standard rifles. You made a comment that you were having trouble with a 338 and a 300 Winchester. I'm not sure if you meant trouble with groups or trouble with recoil? If you had trouble with recoil the 300 Weatherby will be much worse than the 300 win unless you have a muzzle brake on it. It will be similar to the 338 with 250 grain bullets. It's quite severe! 300 Weatherby is my Favorite round for Elk. Very flat shooting and does a lot of damage.

Thabk you very much Nealm, I'm very excited about your comments! For sure is expensive and I'm going to handload.
Weatherby recently cut their ammo prices by 30%...even they realized they were EXTREME! But that said I own 5 Mark Vs.....the .300 has been my Go To hunting rifle for the past 20 years....but have reloaded for all of them....lab results are ALL UNDER IDEAL CONDITIONS...you should be able to shoot 1/2 moa regularly!

I'm always blown away by the guys that shoot heavy recoil like it's nothing.there was an old guy next to me a while back doing load work on a 300 rum and consistently punching out one hole at 100 like it was nothing. I've been real tempted at one of the teramarks in 338 LM but luckily they're sold out or I can't afford it lol

I'm always blown away by the guys that shoot heavy recoil like it's nothing.there was an old guy next to me a while back doing load work on a 300 rum and consistently punching out one hole at 100 like it was nothing. I've been real tempted at one of the teramarks in 338 LM but luckily they're sold out or I can't afford it lol
They are awesome! Lol.....and NO RECOIL EITHER!

They are awesome! Lol.....and NO RECOIL EITHER!
My first rifles was the MK V 300 WBY back in 86. The original owner bought in Germany while stationed there along with 6 boxes of ammo. (some 110 grn, yes you heard right, 110 grn 300 WBY, and some 180 grn). He shot 4 rounds, didn't like the recoil and put it away for 20+ years until he sold it to me.
First day on the range, I host 116 rounds. I was black and blue for a week. That taught me that recoil had a lot to do how you hold the rifle. Now unless I am shooting 338 LM or 375 H&H, I go like, what recoil?
That was my only rifle for 20 years. I retired it, but have several others.

Careful now.....what exactly is AN OLD GUY? LOL

The other crazy part was the half hazard reloading he was showing me and then to get those results was very humbling

Great Gun! I first purchased my German made 300 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with a 26 " barrel back in 1969. I still have the receipt, which was $319.00 new in Box. I have reloaded my own and if you ever decide to go that route., give this powder a shot, IMR 7828 SSC .works for me. Best of luck!

Careful now.....what exactly is AN OLD GUY? LOL

I find old gets older every year.

Here's some 167gr Peregrine (like a Barnes, but with a brass tip) handloads at 100 yds out of my mostly stock .300 Wby Mark V Alaskan. The only modification I've done is install a Bell and Carlson stock that I cleaned the barrel channel out to float the barrel. The rest is as it came from Weatherby when it came out of the Miroku plant in Japan.
threeshotgroup300WbyMag.jpg

Edited to note which Weatherby I used. I had my Mark V American .340 Wby Mag on my mind, which is a USA made stainless, but my .300 Wby Mag is the nickel plated Alaskan model made in Japan.

Last edited:
I honestly think most of the production rifles are quite capable now days. The thing I like about weatherby is that they make an ammo to match that in the right hands will better than 1moa. There's not a lot of trial and error trying to find the right ammo. Basically plug and play

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.