Might be getting a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless it has been rebarreled it will have the freebore as specified in the saami specs for 300 Wby Mag. Weatherby built freebore into the chamber specs to obtain higher velocity. If it's bone stock from the factory, it will have the long throat. I think some people misunderstand the Weatherby freebore thing. They assume that any weatherby rifle chambered for any cartridge will have a longer throat then normal. A Weatherby rifle in 300 Win Mag will have comparable chamber specs to a Remington rifle in 300 win mag. They don't realize that it's just the Weatherby mag chamberings that have the long throat. Likewise, a stock Remington rifle chambered for a Weatherby mag should have the freebore as per the saami specs. It's only when you get into custom reamers and aftermarket gunsmithing that the freebore is removed from Weatherby mag chamberings. Just my own observations and understanding.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless it has been rebarreled it will have the freebore as specified in the saami specs for 300 Wby Mag. Weatherby built freebore into the chamber specs to obtain higher velocity. If it's bone stock from the factory, it will have the long throat. I think some people misunderstand the Weatherby freebore thing. They assume that any weatherby rifle chambered for any cartridge will have a longer throat then normal. A Weatherby rifle in 300 Win Mag will have comparable chamber specs to a Remington rifle in 300 win mag. They don't realize that it's just the Weatherby mag chamberings that have the long throat. Likewise, a stock Remington rifle chambered for a Weatherby mag should have the freebore as per the saami specs. It's only when you get into custom reamers and aftermarket gunsmithing that the freebore is removed from Weatherby mag chamberings. Just my own observations and understanding.
In my first posts I stated it was rebarreled. He put a Krieger (not Criterion) barrel on it.

What's the difference in the Mark V made in Japan and the Mark V made in the USA ?

In my first posts I stated it was rebarreled. He put a Krieger (not Criterion) barrel on it.

What's the difference in the Mark V made in Japan and the Mark V made in the USA ?

I don't see mention of it being rebarreled anywhere. If it was, I would check with a COAL gauge to see if you can get to the lands. If you can the chamber may not have had the free bore.

Im not sure when they switched production back to the USA (late 90's maybe?) I don't think there is any difference between the Japanese and USA actions. Not sure about the barrels. I can tell you the triggers on the Japanese made Weatherbys that I have owned were awesome. I dont have any experience with the lxx trigger but hear it was an "improvement" over the predecessor. I currently have a USA Accumark (pre lxx trigger) and the trigger is crisp but heavier than I like. Now they went with triggertech.

I don't see mention of it being rebarreled anywhere. If it was, I would check with a COAL gauge to see if you can get to the lands. If you can the chamber may not have had the free bore.

Im not sure when they switched production back to the USA (late 90's maybe?) I don't think there is any difference between the Japanese and USA actions. Not sure about the barrels. I can tell you the triggers on the Japanese made Weatherbys that I have owned were awesome. I dont have any experience with the lxx trigger but hear it was an "improvement" over the predecessor. I currently have a USA Accumark (pre lxx trigger) and the trigger is crisp but heavier than I like. Now they went with triggertech.
Yeah, I was thinking of a post I made somewhere else. It was originally a .300 Win Mag, and he had it rebarreled to .300 Wby Mag. He said it shot sub-moa with factory ammo, and he took an elk with it at 560.

Mark V's will have a 9 lug action in a magnum chambering (excluding 240 Wby) and a 6 lug action in a standard chambering (including the 240).
There are 9 lug actions in standard chamberings too.
So, while all 6 lug actions are standard chamberings or the 240, not all 9 lug actions are magnums.

I have a 9 lug 270 Win rifle, and I've seen many others in 270, 30-06, etc.

Oh, no disrespect taken. Both of the guns pictured shoot sub-moa. I just use the pillar bed stocks, but if you don't want it giving, get the full length bedding block.

Edit: Would a stock from an Accumark fit on the Ultralight? I honestly know nothing about Weatherby actions.
Yes it would fit, the barrel channel would be quite large and there wont be a pressure point on the barrel, that skinny barrel will probably like that pressure point. I know its counter to the free float mentality but I've removed a couple pressure points on ultralightweight weatherby and most always regretted it.

Yes it would fit, the barrel channel would be quite large and there wont be a pressure point on the barrel, that skinny barrel will probably like that pressure point. I know its counter to the free float mentality but I've removed a couple pressure points on ultralightweight weatherby and most always regretted it.
I will definitely see how it shoots first. He told me it is sub-moa. I wont get to hunt with it this year, but I'll definitely play with it all summer next year to get it ready.

Didn't know there were standard Cal's on the 9-lug action. Are those older guns?
Yes. I think all were made in Japan pre-6-lug action development. I don't recall seeing one made in the US. There may be some from WGermany too but that I don't know.

If you haven't made up your mind to buy it yet, you definitely should, that is a great deal at that price. Let us know how it shoots.

If you haven't made up your mind to buy it yet, you definitely should, that is a great deal at that price. Let us know how it shoots.
I have made up my mind. He is holding it for me until I recoupe my funds. Since I just got the Glock 45 (model 45 not caliber), my wife a 6.5 Creedmoor, and my son that 7mm-08. That was a big lick (at least for me it was). I can not wait to get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.