Which scope has the most accurate turrets? :)

green 788,
In full agreement. I called weaver and explained about the turrets being unreadable and asked how much it would cost me to have them replaced and I was told "NOTHING, just send it in" . I can't remember if there is a $5.00 or $9.00 dollars fee for shipping and handling. This happened before my hunting trip to Colorado. I still haven't sent it in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I actually dropped a 10FP Savage off my bench (yeah, don't ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) a couple years ago. It landed, scope first, on the concrete floor and bent the tube of my 6.5 - 20 Grand Slam. I sent it in to Weaver with a note telling them what had happened (as if it wasn't obvious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) and requested an estimate for repair, if repair was even possible.

Twelve days later I got a NEW SCOPE from the brown truck. No questions asked!

Good folks in my opinion...

Dan

OK! I won't ask! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That's Awesome service in my book!!!

I only have experience with Leupold Target knob scopes. We have sent in many 3-9 vx2's and have bought many of the 6-18 vx2's with the knobs already on them. I also have a 4.5-14x50 MK4. The vx'2 will sometimes give you problems if say you dial up to 800, then down to say 200. I once shot about 10 foot over a yote because of that. I have heard that you might need to "tap" the scope tube. That has only happened to me once though. On the MK4, I can dial up to 1150, then down to 525, then back up to 1150, and be dead on at my 200 zero when I crank it down to it.

The Mark 4 has a different leaf spring in it and normally does not have the problem of the other leupolds.

Do not be fooled by a dial that says 1/4 inch. They vary from mftr and from scope to scope. Test and try it with the 100 yard test I described above.

If you are shooting LR such as 800 plus you better have an accurate drop table based on exact click values and not what is marked on the scope and in the value of your scopes clicks. 1/4" is not 1/4 MOA and it will tell at longer distances especially over 1000.

I have an IOR 16x that I love. It is super clear and really like their MP8 reticle for LR shooting.

BH

I've had good results from my three Leupold VX III Long Range scopes. Two are 6.5-20 and one 8-25 They track well from 100 to 600 yds over and over again now for the last who years and on several PD hunts. Can't say that they are spot on for 1/4 inch adjustments because you really need to shoot the range for exact come ups. Friend has a NightForce and It works well but then again it better for twice the price.

Lance

Hows about the Sightron's guys? Supposed to have a good tracking system. Can't remember if i've heard any experiences here yet.

sscoyote:

My hunting buddy has a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and it has been very repeatable and consistent. We've cranked it up and down and around and it always comes back to where it should. The only thing I don't like about it is the size and shape of the knobs, and the markings. The knobs are a little on the small side and the markings are a little small and difficult to read at times. This is compared to a Nightforce, which I consider about as good as they come.

i have a question on the new nikon's with the side focus. how do you get back to your original zero setting? can you readjust the elevation knob so your always starting at zero or how does it work? thanks.

I have many S&B and USO scopes and all of them without exception are perfect on the box test!! I use the NF when I compete at 1k because of the 1st focal plane issue. Have had some bad experiences with others that will remain nameless because I do not want to get beat up!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.