Which Rangefinder

hvychev77

Hi Everyone, i'm kinda new here so, pardon asking a question that has already been asked. I am looking to get a rangefinder and i'm blown away by the choices. I'd love to get one that can accurately range targets up to 800 yards, and deer the same or close to it. I'd love to find one around $500-$600 if possible. I don't have to be completely stuck to that price range, but hopefully it works out that way. The main thing i want is a quality optic with a good reputation. I see the Leica name mentioned, and am curious of those but don't know much about them. I do have some Leupold equipment and they have served me very well, but i don't know much about their range finders. Any info. that cane be shared would greatly be appreciated. Thanks everyone. cheers, hvychev77

Stay away from any Leupold RF. Best bang for the buck would be a Leica 1600 CRF. You could even find a used one in your price range if your patient. Also the older Leica 1200 CRF would easily fill your requests.

Jeff

How are the Leica's in regards to quality and customer service? Leica seems to be a re-occuring name the more research I do. They sound like they're pretty solid.

thanks,
hvychev77

Right on, thanks guys. Looks like the Leica will do everything I want it to. I'll be using it to do some long range target shooting with as well as some hunting.

I have the Zeiss PRF 8x26.

I have ranged groundhogs to 650 yds. and deer to 1200 with respectable accuracy.

The 8x optics are so good that I often glass with it instead of dragging binos with for groundhogs.

As for customer service, I had a Leica 1200 CRF that developed an odd haze on the inside of the glass. It was outside of the warranty period but I sent it in to have it repaired anyway. A week later UPS delivered me a brand new unit. No questions asked.
I don't post much but when I receive service like that I feel it is my duty to let others know.

Jeff

That says a lot about a company that stands by their products. That is HUGE with me so, it is good info to know and thanks for sharing. I think I have my mind made up, just waiting on a couple other things to fall in line.....Thanks for all the feedback everyone

I have the Zeiss PRF 8x26.

I have ranged groundhogs to 650 yds. and deer to 1200 with respectable accuracy.

The 8x optics are so good that I often glass with it instead of dragging binos with for groundhogs.

I also have one of these and do like it. Won't say there aren't better ones out there, but at the time and for the money I felt I had to spend it's the one I decided to try. Seems to work well and the glass seems respectable. Also have a couple nikons and a bushenell. I feel the zeiss has better quality glass and will range out further. 800 to 1000 yards should be very doable with it. Good Luck

Another vote for leica. I have a leica geovid 8x56 and it is fantastic. Their range finders are worth the money and the customer service is top.

I'm a little confused on this topic. I have read some people absolutely trash leupold rf's, while still others seem to think they are great. What is the major beef with the leupolds? Is it more with previous generations or current ones too? I understand they might not range far enough for some peoples needs. Is there more to it?

Sorry I have done some searches, but it seems like most folks just say "stay away..." Without explaining why. Thanks for the help

Just picked up a liaca 1600b last week. I did this after being unhappy with others I bought. I am completely happy I got one best one I have ever had.

To those of you with newer Leicas or Zeiss, how well do these units handle snow? My older Leica struggled to range last year on a sunny day after a snow storm. This was the only problem I ever had with it, but it was also the only time I ever used it in the snow as well

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.