Rangefinder: which leica?

fmajor

Hello Ladies and Gents -

I'm torn between the Leica 2000-B (well nigh on 3 year-old-tech) and the 2400-R (recent tech).

So I only have about $500 to play with and am looking to buy my 1st ranger finder. I have an anemometer, but having the temp. in a display would be very helpful.

I'll use it for semi-long range hunting (out to 900 max for now) and a bit of stick-bow hunting.

In advance, thank you

You can not go wrong if it is Lieca. I have not heard of the 2400 model so I really could not help you. My friends 1600b is out standing.

1200 and 1600 have treated us well and still do. The desire for new tech is beginning to ring louder. New stuff with more capabilities it's now half the cost of the old Leicas.

I would like to hear from someone who has used the new Leica too.

I just purchased the 2000b should I use it for just a rangefinder or program dopes velosity into unit for hunting don't know if I'm smart enough to program so. Thanks for any advise. Bill

I'm torn between the Leica 2000-B (well nigh on 3 year-old-tech) and the 2400-R (recent tech).
So I only have about $500 to play with and am looking to buy my 1st ranger finder. I have an anemometer, but having the temp. in a display would be very helpful.
I'll use it for semi-long range hunting (out to 900 max for now) and a bit of stick-bow hunting.
Skip the 2000 and get the 2400, it'll do everything you'll need and then some.

I sold my 2000 to get the 2700 as soon as they came out, then bought a 2400 to have a 2nd RF to keep in my pack.

Hello Ladies and Gents -

In advance, thank you
Hey fmajor,

Just seeing this today. I have, or have had, a few RF's from Leica, but don't currently have a 2400r, though in my conversations with Leica, I am pretty familiar with it's performance. In Leica's, I am currently running a 2700 and a 2800, but had a 1600 in the past.

The answer is somewhat complicated for a post, so if you want to PM me to arrange direct contact for more info, please don't hesitate. I'll ping you with my number.

I assume we are talking Leica CRF's only here, no other brands etc.

As a bow hunter, if you want a b model, you want to go 2000 or newer, 1600b's were not setup to run well for bows. 2000's and newer run well.

You mention shooting to 900 yards...not sure you are talking animals or steel here. But either way, in that case, you need a solution that will be fairly accurate, which means, at least in my experience, preset curves are not probably going to cut it. In my experience, you can usually rely on one being close enough out to 600 yards or so, but once you go further, you likely will want to be using a custom curve. Not that it's impossible that you will match up sufficiently for 1k type shots, but none of my rifles did.

So if you go with a 2000b or a 2400, you are going to probably want a separate solver (phone, kestrel with AB, etc.). Though the 2000b has environmentals and ballistics onboard, the ballistics require you to choose from a preset, no custom curves can be utilized, so you still want a solver for the long shots. The 2400 only does distance and angle, so you will need to gather environmentals from another device etc. to enter into the solver.

If you want the RF to do it internally and use a custom curve, a 2700b or 2800.com is what you would need, but those bust your budget substantially.

Between the 2k and the 2400, the 2400 will range a little farther. The 2k does give you ballistics, but I don't trust them past mid range distances anyways. That said, if your hunting shots will be more limited in distance, then the 2k ballistics may work for you....it all depends how close your curve matches up to one of the presets. But I would not personally bank on it working to 900 yards.

Oh, one other thing...the temp readings in the RF's are very susceptible to drift...that is your body heat, the sun, etc...they will drift considerably and take a while to stabilize...up to 30 minutes depending. So step out of a warm truck into cold air, and you will not have a proper temp for a solution for some amount of time.

Hope that helps your decision a bit, like I said, feel free to PM me if I can help further.

I am thinking of either the Leica 2700B or 2800.com. Not really sure I need all the 2800 has to offer.
I was originally thinking of the Terrapin but I read where service/repair was ridiculously expensive
once you finally get through to them.
I would like to hear if anyone has used the Leica in a hunting situation and what they think of them.
VC

Hey fmajor,

Just seeing this today. I have, or have had, a few RF's from Leica, but don't currently have a 2400r, though in my conversations with Leica, I am pretty familiar with it's performance. In Leica's, I am currently running a 2700 and a 2800, but had a 1600 in the past.

The answer is somewhat complicated for a post, so if you want to PM me to arrange direct contact for more info, please don't hesitate. I'll ping you with my number.

I assume we are talking Leica CRF's only here, no other brands etc.

As a bow hunter, if you want a b model, you want to go 2000 or newer, 1600b's were not setup to run well for bows. 2000's and newer run well.

You mention shooting to 900 yards...not sure you are talking animals or steel here. But either way, in that case, you need a solution that will be fairly accurate, which means, at least in my experience, preset curves are not probably going to cut it. In my experience, you can usually rely on one being close enough out to 600 yards or so, but once you go further, you likely will want to be using a custom curve. Not that it's impossible that you will match up sufficiently for 1k type shots, but none of my rifles did.

So if you go with a 2000b or a 2400, you are going to probably want a separate solver (phone, kestrel with AB, etc.). Though the 2000b has environmentals and ballistics onboard, the ballistics require you to choose from a preset, no custom curves can be utilized, so you still want a solver for the long shots. The 2400 only does distance and angle, so you will need to gather environmentals from another device etc. to enter into the solver.

If you want the RF to do it internally and use a custom curve, a 2700b or 2800.com is what you would need, but those bust your budget substantially.

Between the 2k and the 2400, the 2400 will range a little farther. The 2k does give you ballistics, but I don't trust them past mid range distances anyways. That said, if your hunting shots will be more limited in distance, then the 2k ballistics may work for you....it all depends how close your curve matches up to one of the presets. But I would not personally bank on it working to 900 yards.

Oh, one other thing...the temp readings in the RF's are very susceptible to drift...that is your body heat, the sun, etc...they will drift considerably and take a while to stabilize...up to 30 minutes depending. So step out of a warm truck into cold air, and you will not have a proper temp for a solution for some amount of time.

Hope that helps your decision a bit, like I said, feel free to PM me if I can help further.
What kind of range are you reliably getting with the diff models?

I am thinking of either the Leica 2700B or 2800.com. Not really sure I need all the 2800 has to offer.
I was originally thinking of the Terrapin but I read where service/repair was ridiculously expensive
once you finally get through to them.
I would like to hear if anyone has used the Leica in a hunting situation and what they think of them.
VC
Vcinri,

So I have used both the 2700 and 2800 hunting. Leica sent me a 2800 in the early fall to test, it was a prototype, so some functionality was not there yet. But most of it was. So I got to test it quite a bit, I put a review up on this board somewhere. I also have one up on the 2700.

Anyway, I have used both in hunting...they range exceptionally well. Their small divergence and precise sensor placement make ranging accurate. The ballistics are sufficient, certainly to as far as most people will be killing animals, but are their weakpoint, if you can all it that. Nonetheless, I have not had a problem with getting it trued up to AB (more or less, and if you exclude coriolis) with a little tweaking of the BC and velocity that I used to create the custom curve I uploaded. That's where the 2800 shines, as you can off load all that onto a Kestrel with AB, have it do the heavy lifting, and then it displays your solution in the RF, plus your range limit for a solution is as far as the RF will range, whereas without the Kestrel, you are limited to 1k yards.

Glass is outstanding for a CRF and these units are very well thought out and refined. Leica has a lot of years of know-how in the RF business, and it shows.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts