Getting a new rangefinder which one??

[ QUOTE ]
CatShooter , I went back & checked , and the Cost info. for the S-5 on Marines.com was dated 11/95 . So, I think you're right .

[/ QUOTE ]

Tulku...

I got your e-mail. For whatever reason, I can get e-mails, but my G-D 'puter will not let me send them since yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am aware of the issues of power and the "other" issue you mentioned, but technically, it is in the possession of a "company", not a person, and I have been a laser researcher (Did the design research and engineering for the lasers that treat eye disease)... so I think that issue is a non issue.

Thanks for your concern.

I am a professional guide in Wyoming. I own the Leica CRF 1200. It has done everything I have ever asked of it. I tested it, the Swaro, and the new Nikon over the same weekend, in the same conditions.

It out performed the other 2, so I own the Leica. The majority of the guides I work with and know here in Wyoming, have the Leica. I have ranged: Elk, BH Sheep, deer, and antelope, not to mention all the coyotes in the sagebrush.... never been a happier guide when the tips come in.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is a tool I use daily and would highly recommend it.. at least for hunting applications, it is bullet proof IMHO.

YOTESTOCALL , I owned a 1200 Scan and found it to be excellent . However , my Swaro. outranged it by at least 600 Yards , but it took me 3 Units before I got a good one . And the problem was Repeatibility not Range . Now you mention your 1200 outperformed ( outranged ??? ) the Swaro. For new buyers : I would be careful to really test any new Swaro. I bought . I did not sell my 1200 until I had some confidence built up with my Swaro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

got the newcon 2000 pro yesterday I ranged everything i could with it and was getting hits at 1300 meters easily that is the furthest thing i could find. I found the optics to be pretty **** good and unit was easy to use and instructions easy to understand. I will let you all know later how it does on deer and yotes. Maybe later this week.

nolo, was hoping to hear more from you and thanks for this additional information. Please do post more feedback on this unit after you've had a chance to test it further. I'm either going with the Swarovski or the Newcon 2000Pro. I've handled the Newcon but only indoors, so your feedback on distances ranged will probably be the determining factor. If this Newcon will reach out the distances it's reported capable of, then what a bargain - pretty hard to beat for the money.

Paul

dave i paid $480 through ebay newcon 2000pro monocular. Phorwath I will test it further and let you all know how they do. The weather here is horrible right now hasnt stopped raining in two days, as soon as it lets up I will test them some more. I would like to go to the ranch to really test them on animals but with the weather the way it is, it will probably be a week at least before I can go out there and not get stuck.

Hi Nolo,

Be aware if you use the Newcon200pro with a normal 9V battery after 1 day of lazering the battery is dead.
Use the rechargeables one with 200mAh not the normal one with 150mAh, because the unit will stop if the battery reach 7 V.

So:
Full battery - 7.5 V - normal reading
Warning message - 7.2 V got a message in the Newcon (replace battery)
Stop ranging - 7 V. - The Newcon didn't start.

Cris

thanks 300rum.. I went out and drove around in the rain and ranged everything i could find. Note: rain and fog= buildings 1380meters, tractors 818 meters, fence posts 514meters, I could easily get 800 meters and down on anything in this weather 900 meters and up things were getting tough I would have to range several times to finally get a hit. Sometimes I was ranging something over 1000 meters and got 17meters 18 meters and so on. I guess it was bouncing off of the rain? Maybe? I was having no problems ranging 200 meters and down through the windows of my truck, tint and all. If range was further I would have to roll down window to get a reading. I will keep testing and keep you all updated..

How are the leicas and swaro in the rain?

300rum did you try your newcon in the rain yet?

Hi Nolo,

Just go and read my review about Newcon 2000Pro. (approx 1 mo. ago)
I'm really happy with my Newcon. Through my car windows I was ranging 1500 yards on trucks and 1800 yards on buildings, houses.
The furthest ranging till now it was on a junkcars yard at 2880 yards.

BE AWARE AND READ THE USER GUIDE TO SET UP RIGHT YOUR RANGEFINDER TO READ BETWEEN FIRST TARGET MODE AND LAST TARGET MODE.
Play with the settings to find the best one for your needs.
Sometime to range at long range you have to KEEP PRESSING THE RANGING BUTTON FOR 1-2 SEC. to give the laser to catch a best reflective area.

Just PLAY and DISCOVER your new newcon.

Cris

Nolo, rain and fog definitely reduces the ranges I obtain with the Leica 1200 Scan model. I couldn't specify exactly how much, but the reduction is substantial enough that I realize it right away if the fog or rain is very heavy. Seems like up to 1/2 the distances, depending on the circumstances. I'd estimate the range of reductions I've experienced were from 25 - 50% or more. I think the moisture filter/absorbs the laser, greatly affecting ranging ability. I expect you'll observe a noticable improvement in performance when your weather clears up. But keep us informed? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
thanks 300rum.. I went out and drove around in the rain and ranged everything i could find. Note: rain and fog= buildings 1380meters, tractors 818 meters, fence posts 514meters, I could easily get 800 meters and down on anything in this weather 900 meters and up things were getting tough I would have to range several times to finally get a hit. Sometimes I was ranging something over 1000 meters and got 17meters 18 meters and so on. I guess it was bouncing off of the rain? Maybe? I was having no problems ranging 200 meters and down through the windows of my truck, tint and all. If range was further I would have to roll down window to get a reading. I will keep testing and keep you all updated..

How are the leicas and swaro in the rain?

300rum did you try your newcon in the rain yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No! I did not try the unit in the rain.
I was ranging in the sunny day.
I did not haved a chance to try in raining or fog day.
Here in Calgary, AB is hard to got in every day this kind of weather.

cris

I got the Leica CRF 1200 a few months ago and so far I've been pleased with it. I recently found this info on another forum that gave a lot of detail on some of the more popular range finders.
web page
After reading this I was happy to see I made a good choice. Hope this helps.

Reddog

Okay today it stopped raining so i took my rangefinder out to play with it some more. I am more than satisfied with my new newcon 2000pro I was ranging stuff past 2000meters my furthest hit was 2670meters at a white building thats 2937yards!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I couldnt believe it so i ranged it several times and kept getting no more than 2-3 meter difference..but this was at dusk right before dark (magic hour for hunting) In bright sunlight I was getting 1100 - 1500 easily.. Hopefully if it doesnt rain anymore later this week the roads will dry up enough so I can go to the ranch and try it out on animals..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.